How many levels are there in Krav?

Posted by: clammy joe

How many levels are there in Krav? - 05/26/05 10:15 AM

At my school they go to 4 but someone told me there are officially 6. Someone else told me there are more than that but I think he was refering to military Krav, I'm interested in civilian. What's the story?
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: How many levels are there in Krav? - 05/26/05 10:37 AM

I don't think that in military krav there are real levels. as it was 20 years ago, you had different level course - you passed the course or you didn't. no belts, no badges, etc.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: How many levels are there in Krav? - 05/26/05 02:16 PM

I'll cut and past this in for you to save time.

Krav Maga Level Classes
Although the curriculum set forth by Krav Maga is logically organized by way of a progressive belt testing (level) system, the promulgation and distribution of belts is certainly not the goal of the system. Instead, the most important goal of Krav Maga is to help you develop the ability to quickly and efficiently defend against any conceivable threat to you, a friend, or a family member. With that, Krav Maga groups its students in level classes usually ranging from level 1 to level 4 that equal belt levels. Level 1 Classes are typically consisting of students in the first few belt levels and its focus is on core Krav Maga moves and defenses. Heavy emphasis is placed on developing proper Krav Maga techniques. This includes fighting stances, punches, kicks, punch defenses, knee strikes, and basic self-defense moves. As the student advances to higher belt levels, levels 2-4, quickly builds to include additional punch combinations, kicks, kick defenses, self-defense techniques, and weapon defenses.

Belt Sequence
At the modern times, the human being needs symbols to feel that he is going forward and progressing - for many different reasons. That is why Krav Maga follows a graduation system of colored belts, like the martial arts. One thing you will notice in classes; however, is that no one wears their belt. Plus, although students must successfully pass a belt test to reach the next belt level, students are not required to belt test. The teaching of Krav Maga is divided in two parts: the first goes from the white to blue belt, where one learns the self-defense techniques. The second, that goes from blue to black belt, where one learns the face-to-face combat, combat techniques and more complexes exercises. Krav Maga belt ranking system is as follows: (Time frames are for the average student.)

• White belt – 2 months to advance.
• Yellow belt – 3 months to advance.
• Orange belt – 6 – 8 months to advance.
• Green belt – 1 year to advance.
• Blue belt – 1 year to advance.
• Brown belt – 1 year to advance.
• Black belt – 1 year to advance.

White/Yellow Belt
In this initial stage, it is important to learn the movements with much attention to details. The student will encounter the first movements of releases and attacks. Most of these moves can be applied in any type of short-range aggression. The student must practice the strikes many times, in slow moves. When the student has already learned the moves in all details, speed increases to the maximum as possible, to give more power to the strike.

Orange Belt
When arriving at the third phase, the orange belt, the student must have all control over the first attacks already known and must be able to use them with great efficiency and speed. Here, he will learn moves more sophisticated for short range, which will require a faster reaction. The student will know strikes for all directions, with answers to aggression to middle range, and at the end of this phase; he will have the first face-to-face combat contacts.

Green Belt
In the first three stages, the student learned releases and attacks, and in this, he will learn faster and objective defenses to all kinds of attacks. The student will need to go back to practice all the moves he learned until then and execute them with the maximum of efficiency. The fitness exercises have the difficulty increased and will have a great need for the speed on the moves.

Blue Belt
In this phase, the student needs to show speed, coordination and explosion power. In the blue belt, the student will face for the first time defenses against weapons, and firearms. He gets into the second part, when practicing face-to-face combat, with or without weapons and objects.

Brown/Black Belt
In these phases, the student will demonstrate a complete understanding of all techniques of the other pervious levels with consternation on exercises against 2, 3, or more attackers. The student will acquire the first basic knowledge of military style face-to-face combat.

Hope this helps!
Posted by: retzef

Re: How many levels are there in Krav? - 05/27/05 03:25 PM

The belts/levels/ranks are all relative to where you train. The skill level I saw from the students in Israel was so much higher than here in the USA. The Israeli's took it to another level.
Posted by: Equis

Re: How many levels are there in Krav? - 06/01/05 02:30 PM

I would assume that any martial arts once it leaves its homeland and a forienger starts to teach it. The basic philosphy and technique behind loses some of the intesity. Just for example look at all the "Karate USA" Dojos thar are around these are basically a child day care center for kids.

I am not saying that a forigner can not teach martial arts profeciently but say a forigner teaches a forginer and so on the art basically gets washed to a certain extent.