What do you use for wrist support?

Posted by: RangerG

What do you use for wrist support? - 05/24/05 09:42 AM

I have found wraps to be time consuming to put on, but offer good wrist support. I tried weight lifting gloves with wide wrist straps to be a huge improvement, and moved on to MMA grappling gloves. This has worked out well for me over the last few weeks. Any other opinions or ideas?
Posted by: csinca

Re: What do you use for wrist support? - 05/24/05 06:56 PM

I use the wraps most of the time. I find they give good wrist support and are great for sweat control. As for putting them on, I used to think it was a pain but it really only takes a couple minutes and I can start some light stretching so it's no big deal.

When I'm sparring I now use some MMA style gloves.

Chris
Posted by: clammy joe

Re: What do you use for wrist support? - 05/25/05 10:26 AM

If you mean during class for punching pads and focus mitts I used TKO gel wraps which go on quickly with velcro and are made of similar material to a padded bike seat cover. They were ok but they started to come apart quickly and always smelled like dirty socks. Their best features are they go on faster than conventional wraps and are cheaper ($15) than bag gloves. I got them at the Sports Authority.

Now I use Harbinger bag gloves which are pricey ($50) but work well. Everybody at my school uses some brand or another of bag gloves.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: What do you use for wrist support? - 05/25/05 12:37 PM

Joe,

Try putting the TKO wraps in cedar shavings from the pet store. It absorbs the moisture, and makes em smell nice.

I use two white socks filled with the shavings shoved inside my boxing gloves. Makes em last much longer....

Hope this helps.
Posted by: retzef

Re: What do you use for wrist support? - 05/25/05 01:35 PM

push ups with hands in a fist.
only wear wrists wraps for sparring. I will buy wrist wraps from one of the boxing supply companies, the ones from Walmart and the other retailers suck.
I don't like training for a street fight with gloves on. same goes for the rest of the equipment...wear street clothes to class from time to time.
Posted by: clammy joe

Re: What do you use for wrist support? - 05/25/05 10:25 PM

Ranger,

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that. I was wondering how to clean the bag gloves, maybe I can fill some cloth gloves with those shavings and put them in the bag gloves.