KM and the Military

Posted by: dmont

KM and the Military - 05/15/05 07:15 PM

KM may not be well known by a lot of people, but the Military knows all about it. I have friends in different branches of the military. When I mention KM they recognise it right away. With the military teaching it, many more people will know of KM as time goes by.

Navy, Army, and Marine have all mentioned it. We discuss it and practice it. Other comments about it?

Other ways people will hear about it is this forum. Lets get the word out. Peace.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: KM and the Military - 05/15/05 08:06 PM

This is kind of what I thought the KM board would devolve into. Free advertising for a vested commercial interest. The US Military does not endorse KM or any other single system. I really hoped that noone would need to keep bringing this up.

Talk about how much you like KM. Talk about how you train and how it's helped you. Refrain from making erroneous comments about KM being the program of choice for the US Military or Law Enforcement agencies. There are too many people here who know better.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: KM and the Military - 05/15/05 08:27 PM

I've been in the military for 7yrs.I'm in field artilery,but I worked with the MP's at Ft.Polk and Ft.Sill,even trained with them.My brother in law is an infantry instructor at Ft.Benning,he's currently in Iraq.Out of all of these places and hundreds of soldiers I've worked with I never heard any reference to KM. This is not a bash on KM,if you like it good.But to say or insinuate that the military endorses KM or teaches it is utter BS.
SGT.Brian R. Stone C btry/2/142/FA
Posted by: dmont

Re: KM and the Military - 05/15/05 10:02 PM

I'm not endorsing it. I do like it.

I don't know if the Mil teaches it. I assumed because all my friends in the Mil mention it. I know 15 people in the Mil and they've all talked to me about it. If the Mil doesn't teach it, that's fine. I just know all my friends have trained in KM.
Oh, same for three law enforcers. Maybe it's just this state. I don't know. But 15 Mil and 3 Law Enforces I know personally have all been trained in it.
As for me, I started training in it two years ago.
So I won't debate it. I just know what they've told me. Al said they had him train in it about five years ago on a tour through the Mid-East.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: KM and the Military - 05/16/05 11:20 AM

Fort Puke, Lowsy-ana?

Spent the last three years of my enlistment there. Ugh.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: KM and the Military - 05/17/05 12:28 AM

OH! It's a lovely place right next to sleezeville or as some call it diseaseville.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: KM and the Military - 05/18/05 09:49 AM

I will add a bit to your post SANCHIN31.

I am not aware of any branch of the US Military or Federal Government LA Agency having Krav as their designated training technique. Members of the Military, FBI, Air Marshals, etc...choose to train in Krav in addition to their standard training. It's a personal choice.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: KM and the Military - 05/18/05 10:06 AM

this is interesting to me. I would think that the main advantage of KM is in its "fit" to quickly train fit people who need to learn to inflict damage in close quarters. most of the israeli's that I know that studied KM did so in an official capacity, and if they were involved in a MA on a personal level it was a more traditional one.
Posted by: madmattg

Re: KM and the Military - 06/18/05 08:04 PM

I was an officer in the Australian Army, and their unarmed combat was very weak. It had very little to do with any style and each unit was trained in whatever was provided by the Unit PTI. This being bugger all most of the time.

Yet the ADF attends seminars on Krav or other forms of MA and just doesnt have the wisdom to implement them in a true regimented system.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: KM and the Military - 06/18/05 11:09 PM

Quote:

I was an officer in the Australian Army, and their unarmed combat was very weak. It had very little to do with any style and each unit was trained in whatever was provided by the Unit PTI. This being bugger all most of the time.

Yet the ADF attends seminars on Krav or other forms of MA and just doesnt have the wisdom to implement them in a true regimented system.

I work for a British firm..so I do know what bugger all means!

I do prefer llareggub in polite company
Posted by: madmattg

Re: KM and the Military - 06/19/05 12:52 AM

fair enough bugger was as polite as I could put it.
Posted by: umsangil

Re: KM and the Military - 07/22/05 07:41 PM

Yeah as far as I know most US military personell who know of/train in KM do so because of their own choice outside of training. The majority of military training revolves around weapons training. So most pursue further hand to hand combat training on their own.