Belts and levels

Posted by: clammy joe

Belts and levels - 05/11/05 01:15 AM

Does your Krav school use belts and/or levels? If belts what colors are they? If levels how many? If both what belts for what levels? My school doesn't use belts, just levels. There are four levels. I was wondering if this was typical. Is there and official standard or is it up to the individual school?
Posted by: Ace

Re: Belts and levels - 05/11/05 04:08 AM

i do something similar to KM, but my school goes to level 10, with level six being insrtuctor/ blackbelt and level ten been drill master/ range sargeant, as we dont rerally have grand masters. and no, no belts.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Belts and levels - 05/11/05 07:34 AM

There are belts, but we don't use them and only the instructors have tested for them. We use the level system of I, II and III.

Even if you test and are awarded a belt, you do not wear them anyway. Just something to hang on the wall at home.
Posted by: Equis

Re: Belts and levels - 06/01/05 05:39 AM

The crap shack I train at goes up to level 5 of KM. Five is for instructors getting ready to test for black at the National Training Center in LA.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Belts and levels - 06/01/05 05:53 AM

Quote:

The crap shack I train at goes up to level 5 of KM. Five is for instructors getting ready to test for black at the National Training Center in LA.

Sounds like you are very unhappy with your school,but I don't think it's KM that's the problem.Why don't you look for other instruction in your area,I've always said it's not the art,it's the instruction.

Re: Belts and levels - 06/01/05 06:07 AM

I am considering a new school the only problem is that the next nearest one is 40 miles away or 52 miles away. AS well as these farther ones cost $120 a month opposed to $85 in my city.

My current school I believe likes to cater to whom ever is stupid enough to give them money for a little Cardio KM and hippie type feel good crap. They even tried to start a KM for Kids then decided not to since it didn't do that great.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Belts and levels - 06/01/05 06:12 AM

Wow! Maybe you should opt for a different style. There are other schools that teach good self-defense.You just have to check them out,but it sounds better than staying at your current seemingly Mcdojoish KM school.

Re: Belts and levels - 06/01/05 06:18 AM

Yhea, this MCDojo has two really great instructors but unfortunately I missed advancing with them. So I am stuck with the one instructor who is all about punching punching kick the shielg over and over, then the last ten minutes hey lets learn a choke hold escape. The owner I don't think he really cares, I told the instructors how incredibly bored I am with KM1 and I am tired of practing with noobs. Just like today I had some guy run out to get water about 10 times leaving me bymyself, so I switch partners and tell him to F*** off or go sit down if he can't take it ( I was mad this happens to me almost every class). Then I get this other guy who has been here for 2 months but he makes punhing noises with his mouth kind of like when little kids play with toys sounds. I tell him like a zillion times how to hold the mitts for me and I tell him I will do the same for you. He doesn't listen, he only listens to the instructor because you know why listen to anyone else but the instructor!

Bah I am just venting, I just read over the Yellow Belt test curriculum and I am mad I don't think I have the skill sets I am supposed to have to pass it.
Posted by: retzef

Re: Belts and levels - 06/01/05 10:37 AM

I assume you are training at a licensee of the KM from Los Angeles. Go to their forum and do some research. They make it real easy to complain and give the email address all the time of John Whitman.