"Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? "

Posted by: qksilver

"Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " - 08/26/09 12:19 PM

"Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? "

If one is to be able to protect themselves against a weapon or attack it is important for them to get an understanding of the weapons that might be used. There are two main philosophies behind my thoughts on weapons in the martial arts:

You do not tell someone not to play with guns, you teach them how to be safe with guns.

If you train with the weapon you will be more prepared to understand its strengths and weaknesses.

The first thing one must realize when confronting weapons (whether blades or baseball bats) is the possibility of getting hit or cut. You must except that fact if you are to properly defend yourself. Another factor concerning weapons is the ability to jam and use circular movements during self-defense.

What should you do when confronted with a weapon?
1. If possible - run

2. Do not corner or trap yourself

3. Look for possible obstacles to put between you and your attacker.

4. Jam the attack, do not allow your attacker the opportunity to hit twice.

5. Protect your vital points without sacrificing your defense abilities.

6. Focus on your opponent not his weapon.

Mind Set

When defending against a blade wielding assailant or assailants, one must first accept the possibility of being cut. If one does not accept this likely chance of being wounded, it could result in unnecessary movements and incorrect timing. Fear of getting cut must be overrun with the fear of losing your life. Remember, the knife is just an object (harmless by itself), it is the attacker you are fighting not the blade. Defending against a blade attack is not easy and the focus of training should be directed towards increasing your chances of survival. Your objective is to survive. Sometimes it is important to sacrifice an area of the body to the blade in order to improve chances for escape or to surprise and overcome your opponent.

advertising deleted
Posted by: duanew

Re: "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " - 08/28/09 05:00 PM

Dear Rick,
I think there may be some rules against using this forum to advertise for your business-you might want to check with the moderators before you start any more threads that lead into your businesses links.
Posted by: karl314285

Re: "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " - 08/29/09 10:53 AM

Hi,

Weapon training in the MA is not just knife, nor knife self defense.

The Japanese and Chinese weapons, as they are learned and integrated translate to use of everyday objects...

This happens to me a lot...

one example...as I have been training 9 section chain whip slowly I start to see things around me as potential chain whips...ones belt for example is like a chain whip, also very like nunchaku (esp. in weapon arm trapping and disarming.

Just cause I like Cheese...in "Romeo Must Die" Jet Li uses a fire hose as a rope dart, the belt thing came to me when studying the nunchaku but was elevated (hate harping on a highly skilled MA in movies), Jet Li uses his belt as a chain whip to fend off Katana wielding Billy Chow in the best MA movie on the planet, "Fist of Legend" a tribute to Bruce Lee but done subtly different.

The more weapons one trains the more one can use "things" as weapons...also one knows when to not be "attached" to ones weapon.

A thought to ponder...

Karl. Peace.
Posted by: Ives

Re: "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " - 09/15/09 08:42 AM

I don't understand the question asked in contribution to the text presented.
"Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts?"

If you mean the flashy bo / nunchaku etc. acrobatics seen in many tournament settings, then no - not realistic.

If you look at genuine kobudo / arnis, then yes. Weapons are realistic in training. And by training in these weaponsystems, you can get an idea on attacks and defense.
You can even see, as Karl stated, possible subsitutes of these weapons.

Guns are a whole different story in my oppinion.
Posted by: BigWiggly

Re: "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " - 09/28/09 10:40 PM

I agree with Ives, there are competitions that use flattery with weapons to make them look pretty and/or threatening, but they have lost their fundamental purpose. The studio where I study teaches 72 traditional shaolin weapons as well as many others, but when we go up for rank, we can get "bonus points" sort of deal if we can substitute weapons in a realistic environment, (belts, umbrellas, golf clubs). I dont agree with the guns statement though, as I believe if you know enough empty handed weapons then you could potentialy use guns yourself in concert with martial arts. on the other hand, if you're getting shot at, you better have a gun, or something to hide behind.

Weapons are an important of the martial arts, when used properly.

(also good for strength training!)
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " - 09/30/09 02:10 PM

I'll second the comments on asian weaponry -- serious, fast training that is required even if you do empty hands arts. It is generally accepted that the wooden weapons are every bit as deadly as the bladed, and that neither one has automatic superiority in a fight.

I think the 'flashiness' factor may depend on the regional style.