Sai kata

Posted by: roninofGa

Sai kata - 03/24/09 07:47 PM

I once knew three kata for the sai, Hama higa no sai, Chatan Yara no sai, and Tsukenshitahaku no sai. I forgot them over a 15 year period. Now that I'm "blowing off the dust" of these three, It seems that they are very simular to each other to the point of thinking that they are different versions of one kata. Your thoughts on this, Please....
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Sai kata - 03/24/09 09:20 PM

I don't think I would go as far as saying they're three different versions of one kata, rather that they utilize the same sai technique themes. The sai only has so many different technique studies after all, and Okinawa is a small island...
Posted by: roninofGa

Re: Sai kata - 03/25/09 04:18 PM

Thanks for the opinion. I agree with that. I mainly got to thinking about the one kata idea due to about 3/4 the way through those three, They are Very much alike. Thanks again, your opinion is greatly welcomed.
Posted by: Elssha

Re: Sai kata - 06/03/09 07:09 PM

from my experience the more often a move (series of moves) appears in different kata (weapon or otherwise), the more important it is...
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Sai kata - 06/09/09 01:22 PM

I'm only familiar with Chatan Yara no sai. Are the other two as strongly right-handed?