Two part staff

Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Two part staff - 01/26/09 06:12 AM

Not the flail-like weapon. I'm looking at ways to make a staff more portable and the best option looks to be cutting one in half and installing a pool cue-like fixing to lug the thing around in a half length case. Does anyone here have any experience/tips on the subject?
Posted by: swseibukan

Re: Two part staff - 01/28/09 12:53 PM

Don't do it, you're just going to ruin a perfectly good weapon. But if you just got to have one I think Century used to offer them.

Re: Two part staff - 01/29/09 04:51 AM

Thanks for the reply; I have no plans to destroy my current staff (it's strange how attached you can become to a piece of wood). I thought I might get a cheap one to alter and ferry to class because I'm aiming to dispose of my car and cycle/walk instead.

It has occurred to me since this post that there's no good way to fasten the staff sections anyway; the forms can put a fair amount of torsion on the joint and unscrew it halfway through a movement.

Hmm. I may not bother.
Posted by: tgall

Re: Two part staff - 03/09/09 07:37 AM

Hi,

we have a weapon maker in germany thats has produced some screwable bo. They are not bad, and for the training of kata ok. In kumite the will not live for long.
The construction had been and out metallpipe to connect the both parts of the bo. The both parts had been further connected over a screwing. In one half was entered a about 10 cm long screw and in the other half was the connction part "mother" (sorry, I dont know if that's the right english word for it, its just the direct translation from german into english).
I hope my descripition is understandable. If not I try to write it again with other words.

Sincerly

Thomas
Posted by: imperial_crane

Re: Two part staff - 06/28/09 09:57 PM

Can you leave your bo at the dojo for you to use?

Re: Two part staff - 06/29/09 05:35 AM

No, it's a rented hall that other people use in the meantime. Besides, I quite like having the staff to practise with alone. Thanks for the thought, though.