cane,hanbo,baston,stick

Posted by: 5car5o

cane,hanbo,baston,stick - 12/26/07 01:21 AM

i am trying to find best cane weapon online i can. I have read bahi rattan, and hickory are all very good, but the problem with our society is that it cant look like a weapon so it has to double a a cane. therefore i figured 3 feet to be a good length, any thoughts on this. I am looking for advice on the wood typs, links for RELIABLE companies and also. I am wondering what kind of finish i should use on it if it is not already treated. please help me, thank you
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: cane,hanbo,baston,stick - 01/07/08 02:31 PM

I know the guy that makes these canes and he is a good guy gojushorei.com/weapons however I don't actually have one of his canes. Also there is Cane Masters but I have no experience with either the people or products. As regards to individual details like finishes they can probably be more specifially helpful. I have no knowledge about any of the other options you mentioned. Hope this helps.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: cane,hanbo,baston,stick - 01/07/08 03:29 PM

The trick here is, buy a cane that doubles as a weapon, not a weapon that doubles as a cane. The length should be from the ground to where your hand normally hangs to so you don't have to bend over to use it or bend your arm too much because it's too long. Get a nice rattan or cheap wood cane with a crook that barely fits around your neck, UNcomfortably. Get one that's the right length for you to use it as a cane. Then get instruction on how to use it as a weapon from a qualified instructor.

I've bought really expensive canes from canemasters and they're nice. But, the one I bought for $3.95 at the drugstore is the one I use now. The "combat" canes they sell are too heavy and the crook is too forgiving. If you must spend a bunch of money cuz it's burning a whole in you're pocket, you can get a nice hickory one from them. But, don't get the full sized one. They have one labled for women that's smaller and actually more practical for use.

Re: cane,hanbo,baston,stick - 01/07/08 07:07 PM

Quote:

The "combat" canes they sell are too heavy and the crook is too forgiving

. What do you mean by "too forgiving"?
Quote:

They have one labled for women that's smaller and actually more practical for use

. Is it the weight and size of a "combat" cane that you don't like?
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: cane,hanbo,baston,stick - 01/07/08 07:27 PM

A. The crook is made larger to have room for your partner to fall in practice. In SD you don't want them to have room.

B. Yes, the 1" diameter oak canes are heavier than they need to be and cause more problems than it helps

C. It's got a nice big stamp in the front that says "Cane Masters". And the street version has all kinds of nasty things on it that you will never convince a cop you bought it to help you walk. It's a weapon not a cane and you would be treated as such by a LEO.

D. A cheap walking cane from the drugstore has none of these limitations and won't cost a fortune. If you ever need to use it and it breakes in fight? Buy another.. it was only $3.95.

Re: cane,hanbo,baston,stick - 01/09/08 12:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. Those are some good points, I'll have to rethink my approach to canes now.
Posted by: CharlesDavis

Re: cane,hanbo,baston,stick - 06/04/08 12:59 PM

I am a newbie so forgive any violations.

Your post is in violation, and by apologising in advance, I think you already knew that. This begs the question, 'why did you choose to post against the rules you agreed to upon registering with the site?' bye.
Posted by: Per-Sev

Re: cane,hanbo,baston,stick - 06/02/10 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: JMWcorwin
The trick here is, buy a cane that doubles as a weapon, not a weapon that doubles as a cane. The length should be from the ground to where your hand normally hangs to so you don't have to bend over to use it or bend your arm too much because it's too long. Get a nice rattan or cheap wood cane with a crook that barely fits around your neck, UNcomfortably. Get one that's the right length for you to use it as a cane. Then get instruction on how to use it as a weapon from a qualified instructor.

I've bought really expensive canes from canemasters and they're nice. But, the one I bought for $3.95 at the drugstore is the one I use now. The "combat" canes they sell are too heavy and the crook is too forgiving. If you must spend a bunch of money cuz it's burning a whole in you're pocket, you can get a nice hickory one from them. But, don't get the full sized one. They have one labled for women that's smaller and actually more practical for use.

I know this is a old post but I felt I had to defend canemasters canes. I have 5 of them and some are nasty and some look normal and just so you know I am disabled and don't have the upper body strength that most of you do here and I can swing and strike with all my canes with out any problems most of them are 38" long and about 1 1/16" in diameter. As for the crooks being to forgiving I am not sure of the meaning but if you mean that they won't grab your neck and take you down and a drug store cane will you must have a small neck because mine won't even fit in a drug store cane and it lock just fine in all my canemasters canes. They are priced high I agree with that but I would not want anything else with me. I have taken my nastiest cane in court and through security in many places and never once questioned about them but you never know so I also have some that are normal looking that I ordered the blank from canemasters and finished it myself with tung oil and put some grips on the crook. I use my canes everyday all day because I have to or I can't walk the drug store canes are cheap in price and quality sometime you get what you pay for and a canemasters cane is worth the money they will last a life time.