Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense?

Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 10/09/07 04:47 PM

I always hear that the cane is the only legal weapon you can take anywhere. However, to walk with a cane when you don't physically need it can be embarrassing and looked upon as strange. So I was curious if anyone here carried a cane for that purpose? And what sort of training with it: stickfighting, a dedicated cane system, or anything else that is applicable?
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 10/11/07 01:54 AM

I am too young looking to convince anyone I need a cane, so I carry an umbrella which also doubles as an...ehhh...umbrella.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 10/11/07 07:05 AM

I have a nice 3.5 ft ish piece of sweet chestnut, cut by my own hand that I use as a hiking stick when me and Mrs Shoshinkan go long distance walking,

which is alot as im in a wonderful part of the UK.

It's basically a 'rough Jo' which I use in my martial arts as well, it's not a cane but the same difference for this discussion I guess.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 10/11/07 12:21 PM

I saw the Cane Masters video and adapted some of the techniques. I feel they are useful but have a hard time walking with an actual cane. A short walking stick is more my speed but that takes away the benefit of the hooking techniques a cane gives you.

The cane seems to be the only actual legal weapon you can carry with out a permit or circumstances.

Re: Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 10/11/07 05:42 PM

I agree. That's why I was curious about the number of people that actually use/carry the cane for self-defense. I have heard that the perception of using a cane when not necessary is a major difficulty in carrying it. I am considering purchasing one and there is an arnis school near where I am moving that I am thinking about trying that I could use for techniques.
Posted by: MASTERforge

Re: Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 10/13/07 06:37 AM

We have a lot of requests to build sword canes!

These are of course illegal and I think most of the people who want to buy them are too young for a cane anyway!
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 10/17/07 12:05 PM

In fact, Arnis skills won't readily transmit to cane due to the difference in length (cane is longer) which also makes it heavier. Also, the crook in the cane will inhibit free movement required to perform Arnis effectively.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, especially for those who've been training for several years but it's like learning to drive a car w/ the expectation the same skills will transmit directly to driving a bus.

Don't believe me? Ask in the Filipino Arts forum.

...or carry a flute (see thread below)
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 10/17/07 02:08 PM

I recently had a double knee replacement and have to use a cane at present. I was given a 'canemasters' cane as a present but all the techniques require stability in the legs so I can't really use it until my legs are better..... then I won't need to carry it!
Posted by: Diga

Re: Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 10/17/07 09:11 PM

After 30+ years of MA training and feeling pretty confident anywhere I might be, my hips decided it was time to wear out. For some over a year, my workouts deminished to so little other than bag and makiwara work, I started to feel pretty incomplete when walking in areas that could be dangerous.
I already had several years of Bo and Jo and some time with Cane work so I decided to build myself a cane.
I made it out of iron wood. The first one was a bit thin because that wood is pretty heavy. By the time I got sufficiently satisfied....I broke it on my heavy bag - so - I built another one heavier and reinforced with thicker wood right at its weak spot. That baby is very nice for both walking and workouts.
True - it can be carried anywhere. I fly quite a bit and having the cane has me feeling a lot like I used to. That is - I look around the airplane or where ever I am and size up the situation....just in case something should happen.
That is the way I like to keep my additude when in crowded or curious places.
With it I feel actually more capable than I was before my hips went out.
Posted by: silenthunder

Re: Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 11/06/07 05:45 PM

I've carried a cane for more than 2 years. I've found it to be a largely intuitive tool in that I have former police stick training and I purchased a couple of videos for pointers. In the final analysis I found that my practice provides an excellent exercise program and I have developed my own techniques based upon what works for me personally. I use bag work a lot along with technique practice.

I have found that the stigma attached to cane carry is unfortunate, however it is not a concern for me, personally. The cane provides a great deal of deterrence, more than a concealed knife or a gun. The deterrent factor lies in the fact that the thugs can see it and can imagine what will happen if they mess with you. I have yet to have to employ my cane on anyone and I live in a large metropolitan area with a lot of crime.
I own four canes, three crooked handle and one straight stick.
Walking with a cane is second nature to me. I simply never want to be caught without it.
I have enjoyed my cane practice and I am a strong advocate of the cane as a personal defense tool.

Re: Anyone actually carry a cane for self-defense? - 11/24/07 02:29 AM

Thanks everyone.