Where to buy Okinawan Bo's

Posted by: UechiMan

Where to buy Okinawan Bo's - 09/04/07 01:13 PM

I used the search function and found two entries for weapons makers. Does anyone know where they sell bo's that were actually made in Okinawa.

Steve
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Where to buy Okinawan Bo's - 09/04/07 05:05 PM

Shureido USA is the direct importer for Shureido Intl. of Okinawa

www.shureidousa.com

Good, honest people there. Good luck.
Posted by: brocksampson

Re: Where to buy Okinawan Bo's - 09/06/07 01:34 AM

How important is it that you get your sticks from Okinawa? It's totally up to you but, I really don't think there's a difference. Maybe I'm missing something?
Posted by: harleyt26

Re: Where to buy Okinawan Bo's - 09/06/07 06:35 AM

It is probably not that inportant to most practitioners that the bo comes from Okinawa but if you ever plan to comepete in a World Okinawa Tournament it is highly recomended.At the 2001 tournament in Atlanta the Rengokai supplied the bo for competition.There is a weight requirement,I believe it is 900 grams for the bo.They weighed them and certified them before competition. Tom Hodges
Posted by: UechiMan

Re: Where to buy Okinawan Bo's - 09/06/07 10:30 AM

It's more of an esoterical reason. Okinawan karate, Okinawan bo,..........at any rate it's not mandatory. I have looked at Crane Mountain's bo's and they look well made. Shuredo's are probably good to.
Steve
Posted by: fleasome

Re: Where to buy Okinawan Bo's - 11/09/07 06:56 PM

I'm a couple months behind the post here but I buy all of mine from http://www.bostaff.com/

Mark makes them all himself and does basically anything you want. You can send him your exact measurements/taper, etc and he'll make it to order. I have two Lignum Bo's he made me and a Vera Wood bo that are awesome and modeled after my Oyata bo (exact measurements). He is currently working on a Kauri bo for me and I'm salivating just talking about it.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Where to buy Okinawan Bo's - 11/13/07 12:09 PM

Follow-up

Just curious...what did you select & how is it?