Need info on Kama"s

Posted by: marmaduke

Need info on Kama"s - 08/17/07 08:47 AM

Hi all. Can anyone tell me about Kama's? Looking to get a beginners set. This one caught my eye....
http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Defaul...57-25593b63d455

Would like to know the importance of the strap. Some have it some don't.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: Need info on Kama"s - 08/17/07 12:06 PM

Merely a question of personal taste. The advantage of the strap is that you won't lose your weapon should you temporarily lose your grip, the advantage of not having any is that you can throw the kama (a number of schools teach such techniques). Unfortunately I studied nichogama but extremely shortly, so I'm sure some more competent members should be able to give you some more detailed information. I will just say that if I were you, I would focus on the pins holding the blade in place more than the strap. Two pins are HIGHLY preferable than one only. I don't how what to think about those kama you pointed out since that red chrome thing prevents me from seiing that clearly. I will just say that they look way too flashy to my taste (also not as much so as some I've seen , but it's just that: merely a personal taste. I clearly prefer a good ol' traditional looking set, but hey, to each their own...

One last thing: the first kanji on the handle is a bit too blurred on the photo for me to identify it, but the other two are bu jutsu which simply mean "martial arts".

Hope it helped!
Posted by: marmaduke

Re: Need info on Kama"s - 08/17/07 12:24 PM

Thanks for the input. I thought those Kama's were the "middle of the road". I'm certainly not interested in the $160 ones. Two pins it is. Thats one thing I didn't know. As for the kanji, since its from Centurys web site, mabe,"Century Martial Arts?"
Posted by: drawgs

Re: Need info on Kama"s - 08/19/07 12:16 AM

I study ninjutsu and use the kursarikama or kursarigama as you may see it called. Mine are pretty much put together by hand. I bought a pair of basic kamas (real kamas with a razor sharp blade) and attached weighted chains to the handles. I suggest getting a pair that actually have a live blade. I say this because my teacher has always taught us with a live blade. If you don't have enough control to not hurt someone with it, then you shouldn't be using or learning it. The pair I have came from a local Asian/Specialty shop. They cost around $20. I have had and used them for 5+ years. About the strap. If you see a pair you like and they don't have a strap, it is really easy to drill a hole and add one if you want one.
Posted by: uchi_deshi

Re: Need info on Kama"s - 08/31/07 02:32 PM

for one they do not have straps traditonally... and most of the wooden ones are crap... they dont even come close to look right best is to make it your self...unless your getting bladed one... but you do have to get the rightsize that fits for you arms... not too small or too big...
Posted by: brocksampson

Re: Need info on Kama"s - 09/02/07 12:53 PM

The real question is what are you going to do with them? Are they for display? Tournaments? Are you going to ever hit anything or just learn forms? If you answered yes to more than one of these it may be that you need more than one pair. I would HIGHLY suggest that you get the unsharpened blades. Even the wooden pair are OK for most training. You should look for a pair that are first and foremost, safe to use, meaning dull and sturdy. Also, the length for practical applications should cover the length of your forearm (wrist to elbow point). As mentioned above, straps were added for "flare" to allow for less practical but impressive looking techniques and speed. If you don't need them I suggest not getting them, or removing them.