A weapon everyone can legally carry!

Posted by: Victor Smith

A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/05/07 12:43 PM

Hapkido flute form
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EODLmqNnUjU

Does anything else need to be said?
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/05/07 12:51 PM

.....umm.... wow.. I really hope that was a joke.
Posted by: freedom_warrior

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/05/07 05:19 PM

no offence to anyone but that is the most stupid vid i have ever seen! lol
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/05/07 05:42 PM

Nice Dance, although I do feel that he may be letting yourself in for unwanted Male attention. It kinda reminded me of the Offspring song "When you are in Prison (don't pick up that soap)"
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/05/07 06:33 PM

Ok, good luck winning with that?
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/06/07 06:16 AM

This is why it is wrong to give kids black belts.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/08/07 02:37 PM

Quote:

This is why it is wrong to give kids black belts.

Yes, then they might wear it with brown shoes. A fashion no no for sure!

Ugh, what will be next in the never ending stream of attempts to make me toss my cookies?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/08/07 03:10 PM

Quote:

Hapkido flute form
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EODLmqNnUjU

Does anything else need to be said?

OMG I'm crying! That is the funniest thing I have seen on here today!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Thanks Victor! You just made my day!
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/08/07 04:19 PM

I don't know Matt,

I think the Chi Projection one has that distinction. (the one Harlan posted,not the original post) But this is still pretty good, in a Napoleon Dynamite kinda way.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/10/07 02:24 AM

Posted by: harleyt26

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/12/07 10:19 AM

Hello Victor Smith sensei,Bill Steigner sensei tells me you do some rather unorthodox training for a Isshinryu stylist but I had no idea!!!He also said you do some sifi writing maybe this is a combination effort.I will never be able to watch a flutist again without cracking up.
Posted by: WuXing

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/12/07 10:38 AM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...h&plindex=7

There's no playing of the flute in this form, but the concept of using a flute as a weapon isn't so crazy if you've got the right flute.
Posted by: SpeedyGonzales

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/12/07 08:09 PM

I'm going to say this in the most respectful way possible...

Are you guys that simple minded? It it clearly intended as a joke, not a serious video.

..let me chill with that comment. Some of you get the joke but it's clear some of you took that seriously. Kinda sad - I don't know who's fault it is that you can't tell real stupid videos from joke stupid videos, I guess there's that many sincerely dumb videos out there. But this isn't one of them.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/13/07 07:46 AM

On a more serious note...

Just to let you know, In China the transverse flute is called di (various types: di-zi , chang-di , etc.) and one variety, called tie-di ("iron flute"), is indeed intended as a possible weapon should the necessity to defend oneself arise for the player. I personally own one of those (bought it in an armoury in Tianjin. One of the many flutes I bought in China, being a flute playing freak. ). Mine also has the advantage of a hidden blade that can be used by unscrewing a part of the flute . The blade is nothing short of crappy and hardly deserves the name, but the sheer weight of the flute makes it a bludgeon not to be taken lightly. As for its sound, it's very similar to that of the western transverse flute although it has no key the fingers positions differ.

I don't know any form that use this weapon, though...
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/13/07 11:45 AM

In Japan, the Shakuhachi is a sturdy flute usually made from the base of a bamboo tree. It's about 18" long, 2" in diameter & played vertically (like a recorder). The base is wider (base of the bamboo stalk) than the body. In the old days, the Shakuhachi was occasionally used as a defensive weapon but I know of no ryu devoted to the weapon aspect these days.

I think anyone making such a claim must have trained w/ a Buddhist monk in a cave in the mountains of central Japan & is now the only inheritor of the ryu as passed down by that monk.

BTW, joke or not, I've seen equally rediculous "kata" in open tournaments. But you gotta admit, it was damn funny.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/13/07 01:37 PM

Yup. The Chinese equivalent of the shakuhachi , called xiao , is usually a bit smaller than its Japanese version (at least the two I own, and every model I've seen so far); so it's a bit light and fragile as a weapon if it's bamboo-made. But the xiao also has it's metallic version (usually copper, I hear), intended as a weapon. I'd love to find one, because I greatly prefer the xiao to the dizi from a musical point of view (come to think of it, from a martial point of view as well since the xiao is clearly longer and thicker).
Posted by: SpeedyGonzales

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/15/07 01:22 AM

Here is a real flute form, Hung Fat style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CMBOuLe4w

it's basically just treated like a short stick
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/15/07 04:00 PM

Hi Harley,

Just because I posted that flute form doesn't mean I practice it.

I do teach Bando short stick, the following youtube video is of one of my students - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YINL1XMHdm8 and I have studied Chinese short staff which is very similar to the Chinese flute form shown, but I do not teach that one.

At times I do write fan fiction in the Destroyer Novel Universe, but that has nothing to do with my martial studies and is just another private hobby.

On the whole my Isshinryu is the same Isshinryu I studied from my instructors, but I have also trained in other systems of study and include many of the drills from those systems to give my students a wider view of the arts.

Isshinryu remains our core.

pleasantly,
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/15/07 04:04 PM

ROFL! That's awesome, but if she wants to perform this at a black belt level she's gonna have to work on her intonation

My SO, also a black belt, plays flute. She'll get a kick outa this.
Posted by: harlan

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/21/07 11:31 AM

What is the saying? Kinda goes like 'adapt, improvise...'?

Another weapon that everyone can legally carry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJug16NlqPk
Posted by: MattJ

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/21/07 11:35 AM

Quote:

What is the saying? Kinda goes like 'adapt, improvise...'?

Another weapon that everyone can legally carry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJug16NlqPk

DAG!!! WTF!!!! She doesn't need any weapons. Holy crap!
Posted by: ShangTsung

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 08/21/07 02:00 PM

Enjoy your flute flute man
Posted by: Aussie_lad_Uechi

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 10/10/07 09:18 AM

ROFLMFAO!!!!! i nearly died laughing at the first flute form!!!
the one by Young Lee was pretty bloody good though
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: A weapon everyone can legally carry! - 10/11/07 01:48 AM

Quote:

Enjoy your flute flute man

Just be careful when you say this in a public toilet in China, because it carries a special meaning, especially with the word 'enjoy' being in the past tense -- ala Larry Craig?