What size bo to use for 6foot tall

Posted by: mwmanvt

What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/16/07 11:19 AM

Sorry if this is a repost:

What size bo should i buy if i am Six Feet tall. Should i buy a 5foot or Six foot?

Posted by: cxt

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/16/07 11:50 AM

MW

What size does your teacher say to buy?

As a general rule--GENERAL, you use a bo about 6 feet tall--a "standard" size of you will.

Beyond that a bo length appropriate for your height is warrented.
A six foot person should be using a 6 foot bo.
Of course being shorter ot taller would mean you use a size more fitting to you personally.

As would what specific situation your planning to use the weapon for.
A shorter model might be just the ticket for places with low ceilings/closer quaters etc.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/16/07 03:59 PM

*As would what specific situation your planning to use the weapon for.
A shorter model might be just the ticket for places with low ceilings/closer quaters etc. *

i'll remember that next time i get attacked ina bath room stall and i have a bo handy??
Posted by: swseibukan

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/16/07 04:07 PM

A point to ponder, your average Okinawan is around 5’4” and they use “raku shaku bo” standard six foot bo. When training with various Okinawan instructors in Matayoshi kobudo I have been instructed to grip the bo with my hands in such a way as to separate the bo into equal thirds. In the next breath I’m told to keep the bo closer to my body while keeping my forward hand extended and my rear hand at my belt. I could get close to what they wanted (I’m around 5’8”) a student of mine at 6’ could not come close to making them happy.

My experience is that the longer you are the longer your bo needs to be. However many tournaments will require that you use “raku shaku bo” standard six foot bo no mater how tall you are.

Good luck.

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/16/07 04:37 PM

Sounds like 6 foot to me.

Now the question of Tapered VS striaght. And Hardwood VS White Wax Wood...

any thoughts?
Posted by: Reiki

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/16/07 08:56 PM

6ft Straight. Avoid the toothpicks they are only for show.

Wood - your preference.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/17/07 07:17 AM

My sensei is about 6'4'' and I believe he has a bo that is a rokku shaku go sun or 6.5ft.

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/17/07 10:54 AM

I saw that there were Tapered Bows: http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-bo-04.html

I was thinking this one, its different than a 'toothpick' bow.

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/17/07 11:29 AM

Tapered are OK toothpicks are not. The toothpicks that people refer to are the little fellows designed for whirly twirly XMA exhibitions, ¾” in the middle down to ½” at best and qualify as little more than toys.

I have tapered bo that are 1 1/8” in the middle and taper to ¾”. One that I use for kumibo against sai and although it looks like it’s been chewed on by a dog and you need to wear gloves to handle it, it is a sturdy weapon. Another one I use regularly in kumibo against tonfa and bo, no worries. Tapered are fine as long as they are stout.

Straight bo I have 5 ranging is size from 7/8” to 1 ¼”. All the bo in my collection are 6’ which are a fair match for my height and they have one other thing in common they are hardwood of either red oak or maple regularly sanded and oiled. Both wood types are quite heavy and close grained.

Grain and weight are important factors in how well the bo is going to hold up in kumibo and how much shock your hands take on impact with other objects. Tight close-grained hardwoods will not dent and splinter as readily. And the more your bo weighs the less the felt recoil on impact plus the more energy you can deliver to your target. So although the wax wood bo I’ve seen are close grained they were also on the light side.

Go with red oak either tapered or straight. But I would try for a 6’ + for your height. Shureido offers a very good product.

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/17/07 03:58 PM

Sounds good to know, thinking red oak tapered (1 1/4 inch in middle, 1 inch at ends)
Posted by: Reiki

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 05/17/07 05:09 PM

Personally I prefer straight ones, they are easier cut to size if they need to be shortened and provide the same profile for the whole length so remain the strongest.

A rattan bo makes a cheap bo for first time users and is quite good because you don't get as many bruises as you do with a hardwood when you are learning to move it correctly and with force around the body. The shock factor on the hands is less too.

I have several rattan ones ranging in diameter up to a really thick & heavy one I use for kumibo. I have several oak ones but the heavy rattan one is my favourite.

For jo you need to get a very dense hardwood either red or white oak is good, look for small densely packed grain and it should last reasonably well.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 06/01/07 10:20 AM

I have an octagonal bo. It would penetrate a little harder, would be less likely to have a strike hitting a flat surface slip off, and best of all never, ever binds up in my hand.

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 06/01/07 10:32 AM

Where do you get one of thoese?

Re: What size bo to use for 6foot tall - 06/01/07 12:58 PM

My experience with octagonal bo has been that they seem prone to warping and they break easier. I think if you look closely at the major okinawan kobudo systems you will see that the only octagonal weapons in use are short ones.