Weapons (Nunchaku)

Posted by: Zukunft

Weapons (Nunchaku) - 02/03/07 03:41 PM

Hey, I'm new to this forum and have just been browsing through some of these weapons threads, they're very interesting.

I thought I might as well start off by putting a link to some of the weapons I do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtKa2zmgucA That shows my instructor performing a double nunchaku form at a fete when he was asked to perform there.
I'd like to point out that this isnt a traditional okinawan kobudo form, the people at the fete had no knowledge of martial arts and so this has been made 'flashier' to appeal to them more.

Anyway I thought it would be interesting to here your views on it.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Weapons (Nunchaku) - 02/03/07 08:00 PM

I watched it twice. Thought it was interesting. Only one comment: didn't see any body/koshi/trunk/legs involved (all arms - poor technique).
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Weapons (Nunchaku) - 02/04/07 12:04 AM

That's some fast spinnin'. It looks like he's got the rattan with chain and ball bearing attachments, aka speed 'chucks.

I have to say, while that takes skill and obviously it's just a demo for the public, it's not really a display of fighting techniques. As harlan said, he wasn't putting any hip into the techniques, which you would see in traditional Okinawan training, as well as more rooted stances.
I have practiced techniques with single and double nunchaku, also. Some of the most applicable and realistic techniques that I like the best are the grappling moves. using a single nunchaku, using the cord or chain to wrap up a weapon or a limb and tossing it aside. blocking and striking with the folded nunchaku held in one hand. My favorite strike is "thrusting" techniques, shooting out the end of the stick with a fast "jab". It can be done from under the arm, or from the hand grip. It's easy to recover from striking something that way. With the flailing techniques, I feel a longer recovery period is needed, though it may contain more power. The way you handle the weapon has to change when you practice actually striking something with it. It's more like the traditional way, and less like the flashy XMA way.
There weren't any of those "shooting" techniques in there. There was no blocking or striking with the folded nunchaku. The only use of the legs was to do a jumping split kick. I would classify this as a skillfull XMA demo, with all the flash that the public come to expect without the fighting principles that tend not to look as exciting. It's more impressive to the uninformed if you move really fast and throw some acrobatic athletics in there. Of course, no one needs to be showing off how to fight with nunchaku anyways.