Creating a lightsaber.

Posted by: Chen Zen

Creating a lightsaber. - 01/13/07 01:15 PM

Ive got several designs for a lightsaber of sorts. One is an electrical based weapon and the other is based on heat, much like a "true" lightsaber. However, the design is still based around a traditional bladed weapon. I was wondering, if you could build such a weapon, how desirable would it be and what sort of options would you like to see it have?
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/13/07 04:22 PM

I always figured a cutting torch could potentially be made into a lightsaber.

Well for one, it has to be portable and light. I'd imagine that if it was something that used heat to "cut," you'd be tethered or would have to somehow "refuel."
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/15/07 10:34 AM

I've seen a design based on tightly directional magnetic fields used to contain superheated plasma in the right shape. Predictably, power was a problem, as was splay.

A real weapon would have to be very light. I'd like to see a tunable 'blade' shape.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/15/07 03:30 PM

What?!!!!! Are these serious questions?

I guess if one was pressed into actually considering stuff like this you would certainly have some problems: 1) No more-or-less solid material to stop "blade" to "blade" on the opponent's weapon; and 2)How do you limit the energy so that you don't have something that contiues for 100 meters instead of just one meter if you are using something like a laser (which I can't see how someone would power with any usable intensity in any case).

Also, if you were using...say, dueling arc welders, you would either have to have some extreme UV shades to block out the light or just use the Force, man.

If just electrifying a blade....It's still a blade and doesn't hold that much more intrinsic danger than not having some heat or energy source behind it.

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/15/07 05:16 PM

The design I had come up with had a solid steel "blade" so to speak, but instead of a metal edge you would have a laser on either side. The power source would be contained in the pommel. A lithium Cell. You could create a base, if it ever needed recharged. If the lasers were strong enough the destructive capabilities would be much higher than the traditional katana. Turning the fantasy of cutting through trees or metal into a reality. Since there would be less steel than a tradtional sword it would already be lighter. Another idea I had was to work the sheath itself into the recharger for the energy source. The electrically charged sword was just an idea I had after seen a movie with an electric retractable baton. The lightsaber Idea Ive had for some time.

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/15/07 09:34 PM

*runs off to the patent office*
Posted by: IRKguy

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/15/07 10:13 PM

So your metal blade doesn't have to be solid or metal. It can just be an extension of sorts with some kind of relay to redirect the laser. In Star Wars, a lightsaber had no real blade, as opposed to a flat side. It was more like a rod that could cut. Would this cut through mirror-polished steel or bounce off of it? Could a lightsaber cut through a mirror or even a window? Light has some strange properties that I don't understand. Someone who understands physics could explain it to you. They couldn't explain it to me; they've tried.

What I wonder, though, is how this weapon, if created, would be superior to a laser rifle, which would be easier to design or, for that matter a regular rifle, which has been designed and manufactured. It would be cool, but I would like to know the benefit. What would it do that other weapons cannot do?
Posted by: crablord

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/15/07 10:55 PM

...it would..be a lightsaber.....need I say more? who cares if a guy with a gun can beat you, he cant cut through doors and crap. Lightsabers > all

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/15/07 11:29 PM

For once Crab got it right!
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/16/07 07:22 AM

Alas, the ones in the movies required mastery of the force to build. Aside: apparently, when they were filming the fight scene at the end of Episode One, they had to stop to tell Ewan McGregor that he didn't have to make the noises himself, as they put them in in post production. He hadn't even realised he was doing it...

I want a kitchen edition to chop carrots.
Posted by: stormbringer

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/16/07 10:33 AM

According to the Star Wars universe, the lightsaber is a laserbeam focuse through a jewel and the beam forms a tight arc at the end and comes back to the pommel. Just so you know how it doesn't go to infinity. They would also put multiple jewels to "focus" the blade to make it longer or shorter. If it gave off heat, it was a bad thing.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/17/07 02:57 PM

Quote:

Alas, the ones in the movies required mastery of the force to build. Aside: apparently, when they were filming the fight scene at the end of Episode One, they had to stop to tell Ewan McGregor that he didn't have to make the noises himself, as they put them in in post production. He hadn't even realised he was doing it...

I want a kitchen edition to chop carrots.

nice one! Kitchen light sabres....

dream on folks! It'll be a long time coming I think.
Nice to think about though if you are into that sort of thing.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/17/07 08:18 PM

Just buy one....

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/69de/

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/17/07 09:31 PM

Reiki is just saying that because she is a fan of THAT OTHER trilogy..you know, the one about middle earth, elves, and that weird stuff.

actually I'm also a fan of the Star Wars stuff as well. I do think that they will be a long time coming, but I'm be ordering one for myself if they do end up developing one!

my preciousssssss ........

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/17/07 11:17 PM

Ive seen them and played with them but as an actual weapon they are mere toys. Expensive toys but toys.

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/18/07 08:13 AM

Oh, u meant a REAL weapon.... hmmmm.... sorry dude, I don't think the technology or the materials exist yet, at this point.

Power source - you need something small yet powerful to deliver the kind of energy you're talking about. Hydrogen fuel cell may be a goer.

Steel blade? Why? If you're using electric arc or heat or lasers, wouldn't steel be redundant and not worth the extra weight? Just brainstorming out loud here...

The blade would need to be made out of some conductive, yet high tensile material that could withstand shock force. I just dunno... it would be interesting to contemplate the science and technology involved... just not right now...

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/18/07 12:07 PM

I used the steel for two reasons. One for impact purposes. And the second reason was because you have to have something to contain the laser. If you have steel, you can make a laser receptor. For power I was thinking lithium cell batteries, though the hydrogen cells may work better.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/23/07 11:35 AM

People...people. Star Wars is a F-A-N-T-A-S-Y.

This thread has as much validity as:

"Who would win; a Ninja Turtle or a Pokemon"?

(can't believe this thread went as far as it did - bump it to the general talk section)

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/23/07 11:41 AM

Come now thats easy, the turtle would win Baby! Anyways, no validity, when its quiet possible?
Posted by: aikiuke

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/23/07 12:15 PM

Lol, How about making it so some sort of electro magnetic shield thingy will shoot up in the core of the lazer beam so things wouldn't go through it [edit: instead of steel]?

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/23/07 12:18 PM

I believe that has been tried, though Im sure it could be made to work through some effort.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/26/07 03:46 PM

Why bother?

I'll train you to perfect your Chi so nothing - light sabers, knives or even bullets - can harm you.

Please send $5,000.00 for the complete video course. For an additional $5,000.00 I'll even issue a certificate proclaiming you Great Grand Master Soke Professor of your own Chi-based system. Buy both @ the same time & receive a $2,000.00 discount!

Send money or go away.

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/26/07 08:53 PM

Quote:

I used the steel for two reasons. One for impact purposes. And the second reason was because you have to have something to contain the laser. If you have steel, you can make a laser receptor. For power I was thinking lithium cell batteries, though the hydrogen cells may work better.

Well, if you're stuck on the idea of steel as an IMPACT weapon, rather than a SLICING or STABBING weapon, then why a lightsaber??? Might as well base your design on a hot poker...

In which case, you'll need something A LOT better than pissy little lithium batteries...

I think you're not thinking OUTSIDE the BOX enough...

What, pray tell, is a laser receptor? How would you limit the laser beam to a specific length? What about the heat generated from a laser? Won't the steel conduct the heat and blow the electronics - assuming the electronics are housed in the handle?

I think it's interesting to contemplate the scientific and technical possibilities of such an endeavour.... but we'll need something more meaty than this....

Personally, my preference would be for a lightweight, yet high tensile material than steel...
Posted by: aikiuke

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/26/07 09:44 PM

Mithril?
...lol...

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/26/07 10:41 PM

LOL! Wrong movie... now THAT's fantasy. LOL!

I was thinking along the lines of kevlar...
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/26/07 10:56 PM

I worked in a materials science lab, and saw this in one of the publications one day: http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/0505/Byko-0505.html

It was an article published in the "The Journal of Materials" and asked readers to imagine they were to either develop a lightsaber, or be a project manager on building the deathstar.

I enjoyed it. All of the faux-engineering is in the right hand sidebar

(oh yeah lightsabers are fiction, better to spend your time designing warp drives and teleporters. at least those are real )
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/26/07 11:31 PM

the real telling thing about threads like this are when they go on for 3 pages, yet threads about real weapons last a few posts. makes you wonder where people's heads are at.

having said that to sound all 'above it all' (did it work?!), I may as well throw in my theory: lightsabre technology shows the most promise by attenuating electrical current. given enough power, electricity can cut though steel like butter. the main problem is generating the power in the limited amount of space as a handgrip.

if technology advancement in the past 30 years has taught anything...it's taught that there will always be ways invented to do the same thing within a smaller space.

I have no doubt a functioning light sabre will be invented someday....but it will always be a hobbyists project, since it has less value in modern warfare.

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 01/26/07 11:45 PM

Quote:

but it will always be a hobbyists project, since it has less value in modern warfare.

Well, you will need to learn how to use the Force first... now hedkikr, where's my credit card?
Posted by: SBudda

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 05/30/07 03:40 PM

You know, I've always wondered how the writers managed to convince people that lightsabers were laser based in the first place. Ok, ok, sure it was written in the 70's when lasers were exotic, but the principles of the blasters are based upon plasma weapons so I'm curious why they changed it. A laser couldn't deflect a plasma bolt (or for that matter a laser bolt), but a plasma blade could conceivably deflect a plasma bolt with it's containment system.

So, I figure that the correct way to make one would be, first invent shield technology. If you could create a shaped semi-permeable shield and filled the inside of it with plasma it should work as the movies suggest. The establishment of the shield could take a bit of time (the growing of the sword) whereas a laser based saber would grow at the speed of light (and never terminate). A beam of concentrated plasma would definitely cut through just about anything provided you had an energy source to keep the plasma excited.

Maybe other nerds have also noticed that the light-end of the saber has mass (notice how it spins when they throw it). Plasma has mass while laser doesn't... So really, I think all you need is shield technology, a fusion power source, and some light elements. Humm, I'm sure I've got all of that around here somewhere

It's be diffucult to engineer a containment field that allows matter to enter, but doesn't allow plasma or heat to escape. Spinning a blade made of 3000K plasma would give you some serious 3rd degree burns...
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 05/30/07 03:51 PM

Quote:

1) No more-or-less solid material to stop "blade" to "blade" on the opponent's weapon;

You're forgetting magnetic repulsion. If you have strong enough magnetic fields, the two blades couldn't pass through each other.

Quote:

and 2)How do you limit the energy so that you don't have something that contiues for 100 meters instead of just one meter

Again, tunable magnetic fields. We've already done that, actually, with mag-lev trains. The trick would be to make a strong enough magnetic field to contain the energy of the sword without letting the energy escape. Of course, that strong of a magnetic field would probably be repelled by human flesh as well, so the energy contained would be immaterial since it wouldn't touch anything

Quote:

if you are using something like a laser

If you use a laser, you'd have to set up one HELL of a gravitational well in the handle of the sword - basically a black hole. You'd end up with light going out, and being pulled back by the gravitational field - it'd look like one of those double fluorescent bulbs, only it would kill you. Of course, figuring out how to stick a black hole in a sword handle without it swallowing you and everything else around it would be another story. You'd have to figure out how to shield the gravitational forces from all but the direction the sword is pointing at, and then you'd have the problem of everything you point the sword at flying at you at extreme velocities.

Quote:

Also, if you were using...say, dueling arc welders,

Is that like a musical sequel to Duelling Banjos?
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: Creating a lightsaber. - 05/30/07 03:53 PM

doublepunched. Mods, feel free to delete.