Why? Why study weapons?

Posted by: harlan

Why? Why study weapons? - 11/07/06 08:56 AM

(Spin off from the 'poll' thread.)

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...rt=all&vc=1
Posted by: Ives

Re: Why? Why study weapons? - 11/07/06 10:04 AM

The reason why I study weapons?

I think the study of weapons helps on some principles of ma-ai, tai-sabaki and the use of koshi. (Distance and hip/centre)

It also makes you look at everyday objects as possible weapons.

There are more side-effects however.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Why? Why study weapons? - 11/07/06 06:53 PM

I like to.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Why? Why study weapons? - 11/07/06 08:40 PM

I study knife, stick and flexible weapons because they are practical. I study Rokushakubo because it is traditional, practical and the favorite of my Sensei.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Why? Why study weapons? - 11/07/06 11:44 PM

I realized tonight that I DO in fact study weapons....any immobile object is a potential weapon: a floor, a wall, a doorway frame, a tree ...
Posted by: Cord

Re: Why? Why study weapons? - 11/08/06 07:25 AM

Why?

If you have to ask that, you have never hit someone over the head with stick

I familiarise myself with stick work because in my job, my 'weapon of opertunity' is the maglight I carry, and i prefer to know how to use it in that way.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Why? Why study weapons? - 11/08/06 07:35 AM

I study Kobujitsu for several reasons. The first being that I simply love it. It also never ceases to amaze me as to how much it benefits my Karate training. The two arts truly do go hand in hand. Weapons training helps me strengthen muscles that I would not normally use in Karate. The theories behind weapons katas are just as deep as empty handed katas and I love studying their applications. And like everyone else, I enjoy being able to regard everything as a weapon. No I do not study weapons because I think some day I will be walking down the street and Ill be attacked when I have my sai. Weapons study, like any martial art is also about preservation of the art itself. Yes alot of the weapons are archaeic to a certain extent. But if we discontinued our studies of them, their tradtions would be lost in time.
Posted by: Ives

Re: Why? Why study weapons? - 11/09/06 04:07 PM

Count me in...

Chatan1979 the same here.