Learning the Rope Dart

Posted by: Buffalo_Soldia

Learning the Rope Dart - 11/01/06 11:30 PM

Hi! I just joined today! After some trial and error,looking for some weapons and styles I was good at and liked, I found that I was well suited for my own style of kickboxing, karate, taijustu I got from a book, and some moves I saw from Bruce Lee demos, and I was particuarly good with nunchakus. Not to brag but I could easily pick them up the first time I got my hands on a practice pair. (age 10) Ironicly, I only found out they're illegal in my state right when I got my first real pair, and had to send them back. I've looked around, and hadn't found a weapon I really liked or would want to train with for the next 10 years. Well, until I saw a demo of a guy with a rope dart. They just look amazing! I really don't mind the high amount of skill to use them cause I figured, I've got enough time to train, it's not like I'm going to war right?

Ok, to get to the point here, (sorry I tend to ramble.) anybody know some good books that I could study? I was thinking of getting a book from the Kungfu Brothers, and thinking of getting my dart from MLE.com Some help would be highly appreciated! Also, sorry if I seem alittle "cocky".
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/02/06 08:16 AM

Your "own" style? Ok basically the answer you are going to get from pretty much everyone here is that you need an instructor if you truly wish to accomplish anything. And I am not just refering to your own style here. If you really want to learn a weapon like the rope dart you are in for some pain. YOu can not expect to learn such a weapon that is constantly in motion from still pictures in a book. Serious weapons training requires a teacher. Someone to guide you. Otherwise you are simply playing with weapons and will only end up getting injured in the long run.
look around, check the yellow pages, find a teacher. You will not be able to accomplish much from books or by making up your own style. Books are fine as a compliment to having a teacher. But do not use them as your only source of instruction.
This may seem harsh, but this forum is where you are going to find many serious traditional weapons students who have been training in weaponry under instruction for a long time. Most people here will admire your desire to learn, but will strongly encourage you to get a teacher.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/02/06 09:34 AM

Roundly seconded.
Posted by: Joss

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/02/06 10:57 AM

And thirded.

And just for a perspective on books and movies, keep in mind that these are not produced (if they are in the least bit worthwhile) by people that LEARNED their arts from books and movies. They are produced by people that learned from a teacher, or many teachers, themselves.

You will never, ever, ever see someone that puts out MA books or movies claiming to have gained that "art" from anything short of a long impressive list of teachers.

There's a message there for those sharp enough to spot it.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/02/06 02:13 PM

Thankyou guys for putting so nicely what I was about to say.

Nothing can replace a good teacher.

If you really want to excel in the martial arts you need to find one and work hard.

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/02/06 03:42 PM

Well, yeah I know what you guys are saying, but thats the problem. I've had to do this because there really isn't any real schools around were I live. The only ones are just regular karate schools, some are good and I got alot out of them, but most are just really unproffesional, and I feel there just there to keep you occupied than to actually teach you martial arts. Also, everywhere in the US, all you hear is KARATE KARATE KARATE. I really don't know why it is so popular, there are other styles. If I could choose I would want to learn taijustu or jeet kune do but like I mentioned there aren't any schools for them. (Are there any ninja schools anyway?) Like I said before, sorry if I sound cocky, but besides books and videos like that, that's really my only option.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/02/06 08:37 PM

What city/town do you live in/near? I'm sure we can find an MA school similar to what you are looking for.

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/02/06 09:42 PM

I live in Los Angeles in a little city called Chatsworth near Northridge. I've already checked mapquest and stuff like that and can't find any kungfu schools less than an hour away...so I guess I'm just stuck...

edited: Also, all the other Hapkido and Karate places close to me aren't very proffesional. Seems like there just there to keep you occupied, and not to really teach you, so no on that stuff.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 03:52 AM

guys the answer people do not want to hear is "find an instructor" ...he made the topic so he could learn off a damn book. I learned nunchucks from looking at internet guides, and i can swing them like a pro now. I dont know about that particular weapon but can someone else give him an an answer other than " find an instructor" . look up videos on youtube, there might be something there.

goddamit lol

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 07:24 AM

Crab you might be skilled at twirling the nunchaku from practicing in your back yard and watching the internet, but unless you have an instructor to teach you the theories and principles behind that weapon or any weapon, youre doing nothing but twirling. There are elements of weapons training that simply cannot be learned without the aid of an experienced teacher. Everything from proper striking, Tai no Sen, Go no Sen, Sen no Sen, Kitachi, and Maai.
FOr example, most people who pick up a pair of Nunchaku and play around with them assume that all the twirls and spins are striking techniques, when in fact the majority of the flashy trashy spins are simple that.. trash. When you learn about properly striking withe nunchaku you will see that in many cases the weapon becomes near impossible to recover after hitting a target with the flashy spins. Most of the traditional nunchaku kata, and there are not many left, have very very very few flash spins. The few spins and exchanges that are there are simply for gauging distance.

Like I said, sure you can get good at spinning a nunchaku or maybe a rope dart by practicing in your back yard or something, but you really arent learning anything.

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 07:44 AM

he didnt say he wanted to learn to use it as a "striking" weapon anyway. By the way you wont have a ropedart or a nunchaku with you in any situation so basiclly everything you learn with them is useless. He wants to learn flashy tricks using a damn ropedart, someone please bloody tell him instead of saying " get an instuctor" like bloody robots. OK!?!?!?! jeeze these topics **** me off

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 08:06 AM

I realize that Crab. But the when you post in a weapons forum that is generally poplulated with traditionlists, you are going to get this sort of feedback. If you want to learn tricks, dont post on a weapons forum. Doing tricks and flash is not learning a weapon.

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 08:52 AM

ill reluctantly agree to that. However the weapons forum should get a bit smarter and realise most people only want to learn to spin the weapons around and look cool. Not learn how to use them traditionally.

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 09:07 AM

To me, that sounds like buying one of those electronic keyboards, just so you can play those nifty helicopter and barking sounds, not to actually learn how to play the thing.

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 09:19 AM

Think about it, if you are training in weapons for self defence, then you are either a) an idiot or b) an idiot. Seeing as weapons are totally useless anyway since it hasnt been the thirteenth century for a while now. I mean if you are training because of the tradition aspect of it then good on you, but weapons have no place in todays society aside from showing off like a little bitch. Which im sure is what most people are doing.
Anyway in a nutshell my point is that its silly to train nunchucks or whatever "offensively" , since its ...well pointless. There is NO use for a weapon aside from katas and showing off, and for that he can learn off the internet. As I said before I am now quite proficient in using nunchucks, and all I did was look at some slow motion videos on youtube. Just tell the guy where to find his damn dvd's or whatever and let us be done with this wretched topic.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 09:23 AM

Then they should go elsewhere. I have a few forums they can visit...if they need some suggestions.

Quote:

ill reluctantly agree to that. However the weapons forum should get a bit smarter and realise most people only want to learn to spin the weapons around and look cool. Not learn how to use them traditionally.

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 09:38 AM

Quote:

but weapons have no place in todays society aside from showing off like a little bitch. Which im sure is what most people are doing.

crab, your Troll-Fu is in rare form today.

Weapons have no place in self-defense? Are you serious?
Ever heard of picking up a stick? Tire iron?
Ok, maybe no one is walking around with a set of nunchaku or kama, or strapping a katana to their hip, but weapons training helps you learn that everything is a weapon.
Escrima = stick picked up from the ground.
Bo = Pool Cue.

Quote:

Just tell the guy where to find his damn dvd's or whatever and let us be done with this wretched topic.

It seems to me a know-it-all like you should be able to do that.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 02:46 PM

Quote:

guys the answer people do not want to hear is "find an instructor" ...he made the topic so he could learn off a damn book. I learned nunchucks from looking at internet guides, and i can swing them like a pro now. I dont know about that particular weapon but can someone else give him an an answer other than " find an instructor" . look up videos on youtube, there might be something there.

goddamit lol

taking a low jab - is this how you also learnt your sparring skills?

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 06:40 PM

Quote:

I live in Los Angeles in a little city called Chatsworth near Northridge. I've already checked mapquest and stuff like that and can't find any kungfu schools less than an hour away...so I guess I'm just stuck...

edited: Also, all the other Hapkido and Karate places close to me aren't very proffesional. Seems like there just there to keep you occupied, and not to really teach you, so no on that stuff.

I found two potentials:

White Lotus Kung Fu Studio
19641 Parthenia St # 100
Northridge, CA 91324, USA
(818) 993-9664
whitelotuskungfu.com

Kung Fu Academy
Unverified listing -
18275 Parthenia St
Northridge, CA 91325, USA
(818) 407-1799
valleybest.com

Go check them both out if you are really interested.

EDIT - One more:

Self-Defense Systems
21704 Devonshire St # 139
Chatsworth, CA 91311, USA
(818) 591-1839
self-defensesystems.com

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 09:47 PM

dont give me that picking up a stick crap...what?? we're going to be attacked in the frigging bush?

-------

yep! you bet!

try to think outside the square...

Anything that give you an edge over an attacker is better than using nothing.

I personally would prefer to be alive.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 09:54 PM

Oh, Crab...it's just a...pen on a string. And you know all about pen defense by now.

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/03/06 11:03 PM

Hey Leo thanks! I don't know how I couldn't find those but one of them is quite close to me. Thanks.

Edited: Nevermind. I somehow was able to find a actual taijustu school...so while the thanx was appreciated Leo, I think I'd rather learn Taijustu. I have a question though. I really like taijustu, but want to learn ropedart. The school has weapon practices on sundays were they have kusari game, Hanbo, stuff like that. If I went to a kunia and chain class, think I could unofficially put that training towards ropedart? I know that they are different weapons, and ropedart is for kungfu, isn't the overall idea the same? Could I instead of using kungfu training, just use ninjustu for ropedart?
Posted by: kungfubros

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/05/06 12:11 AM

Hi,
Saw your post and just had to say "hello".

As I've heard and read, it is common advice in learning weaponry to seek proper instruction from an experienced teacher, however when it comes to the rope dart, experienced teachers are not abundant. I will admit that it is much easier and more quick to pick up techniques from a teacher, but it is possible to learn the rope dart without one. Combine trial and error, with persistence and patience, and you'll succeed. To prevent injury, I advise using something other than a metal dart on the end of your rope. The rope dart is a weapon that you can never get tired of because the more you swing, the more you'll discover; you CAN create your own techniques, and your own style. The book and the DVD I put together are good resources to get you on your way. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Eric

-----
edited to remove advertising

If you want to contact Eric please PM him

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/05/06 04:47 AM

Oh, thanks man! I really don't have any kungfu schools in my area that teach weapon training so if I really want to learn I think I'm just going to have to teach my self, and use books for reference like you said. Thanks for the feedback!

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/05/06 04:27 PM

At least join up with the Taijutsu school if you can. The Sensei will probably be able to point you to training which will assist you with the rope dart if nothing else.
Posted by: Jianju

Re: Learning the Rope Dart - 11/10/06 02:18 PM

Hello, Everyone, I'm Jianju & this is my 1st post.

Buffalo, I must agree, ropedart is a very cool weapon. It is also a very advanced weapon. If I may offer you any advice:

Begin with weaponless training, preferably wushu, if you're most interested in this weapon. Quite possible that the local kungfu schools mentioned earlier will be able to help you focus on the steel whip, (jiujiebian or qijiebian.)

I think the best advice I can give you here is something someone else advised me of several years ago:

Take a length of supple rope & tie a big "monkey fist" knot in each end. Practice with this a lot. See, the chain weapons are extremely dangerous, & you'd be surprised how easy it is to literally crack your head open with one. Be careful out there.