A question on what wpn im looking for???

Posted by: Shibbied

A question on what wpn im looking for??? - 09/24/06 07:08 PM

Ok im new to the MA scene.. Ive just decided to go JKD... But im also wanting to learn a wpn..Its a wooden wpn.. normally weild 2 of.. i think slightly bigger then nunchuka like a bo or jo staff but smaller... ne help would be greatly appreciated..
Posted by: Reiki

Re: A question on what wpn im looking for??? - 09/24/06 07:48 PM

could be an arnis stick?

They are a short stick generally about 500-600mm long mostly made from rattan.

Also known as kali or escrima sticks.

Re: A question on what wpn im looking for??? - 09/24/06 08:06 PM

Ah an escrima. TY very much.. now if u could help me with another ?.. weilding 2 escrima's would this be a good def and also offense against someone holding a sword??? block with one hit with other.... Considering both people are Average in there wpn skill...?

Re: A question on what wpn im looking for??? - 09/24/06 08:21 PM

Quote:

Ah an escrima. TY very much.. now if u could help me with another ?.. weilding 2 escrima's would this be a good def and also offense against someone holding a sword??? block with one hit with other.... Considering both people are Average in there wpn skill...?

nope

A sword is much longer than an escrima stick.

Think 3ft long RAZOR BLADE...

You don't want to be anywhere in its range, trust me!

You have to select a weapon that is longer than the sword to keep out of its range.

For best defense against the sword you need to learn how to defend with a jo.

Learning double stick techniques like single & double sinawali, redondo & banda banda are good for your reflexes. Remember sticks can be used for a variety of attacks and defenses including takedowns, locks etc.

Every strike has its counter, counter counter and counter counter counter... lots of fun!
Posted by: laf7773

Re: A question on what wpn im looking for??? - 09/24/06 08:59 PM

Expecting to get into a sword fight any time soon?

Re: A question on what wpn im looking for??? - 09/24/06 09:06 PM

no not expecting just trying to find a good wpn that can be used defensively and offensivly at same time..

Re: A question on what wpn im looking for??? - 09/25/06 12:12 AM

Quote:

no not expecting just trying to find a good wpn that can be used defensively and offensivly at same time..

That'd be a jo.

A lovely weapon to master.

If you do get one, make sure it is good quality wood - Japanese white oak is the best, check it for straightness and even grain etc.
Posted by: Marishiten

Re: A question on what wpn im looking for??? - 09/25/06 12:42 AM

Quote:

nope

A sword is much longer than an escrima stick.

Think 3ft long RAZOR BLADE...

You don't want to be anywhere in its range, trust me!

You have to select a weapon that is longer than the sword to keep out of its range.

For best defense against the sword you need to learn how to defend with a jo.

Um not necessarily. I've used Arnis sticks, a short sword, 2 short swords, a KNIFE, against a sword. It can be done. What you want to do is get in close and then the sword wielder is virtually helpess. There are good ways of using your short weapon to your advantage.

You can easily do a cross block (??) with two short weapons, then use one to redirect the blade and the other to attack. There are also various locks you can use.
Posted by: stormbringer

Re: A question on what wpn im looking for??? - 09/25/06 09:07 AM

I learned a little bit of the Escrima Sticks and they seem to by quite effective in most situations (just don't bring them to a gun fight). Plus, you can come across an improv most anywhere.