Anyone here know of any Korean weapons systems

Posted by: gregc618

Anyone here know of any Korean weapons systems - 09/06/06 06:50 PM

that include sai (jang tan-do in Korean I beleive)? I'd like to find info related the the history as well as korean terminology as it relates to stances and names of kata/forms etc. Now I'm not necesarily looking for training manual, but I working on a project and having some of the above would certainly help. I've having a dificult time locating really decent sources.

So I'm was hoping that some of you could point me toard something other that what I seem to find (International TaeKwon-Do Association/ITA), which for some odd reason happens to be the site to mention sai in tandom with korean weapons training.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Anyone here know of any Korean weapons systems - 09/07/06 08:21 AM

You might try to find instruction in Hawrangdo.

While it appears (the official history aside) that arts such as hawrangdo and kul suk kwon, are offshoots of hapikido, they also appear to offer very effective training.

The late Michael Echinas studied Hawarang Do, and in the early 70's (before his death) completed several books on stick fighting, knife fighting and knife self defense. Then the senior instructor on Hwarng Do also completed several works on their art that I'm aware of. (I haven't looked at what's been published in the past few decades).

One of my former students trained in one of those systems, and I think they may be exactly what you are looking for.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Anyone here know of any Korean weapons systems - 09/07/06 10:37 AM

If you are willing to stud okinawan kobudo rather than korean, my school is in Illnois. I dont know where in Illinois you are but we are in Champaign. We teach the nunchaku, studying kata, its applications and combative theories. If you are interested let me know

Re: Anyone here know of any Korean weapons systems - 09/10/06 12:28 PM

Thanks Victor.. I took a look as you suggested, and the training does appear to be of an intense nature. Also didnt see any training as it relates to jang tan-do listed from the places that I did look at, but that may just be a school preference thing. What I also found is that there are no schools that seem to be close/convienient to where I live. Closet was Chicago I beleive, which is a 4.5 hour drive one way.

I do appreciate the help.

Re: Anyone here know of any Korean weapons systems - 09/10/06 12:54 PM

Hi Chatan,

I was really trying to stay within my current training, since I practice TKD. I finding all kinds of info as it relates to Okinawan Kobudo, which give me plenty as it relate to history and the likes, but man I having a real hard time trying to do the same when it comes to Korean Weapons Systems (Han Kuk Mu Ki Do) with emphasis on jang tan-do. The school I study with now teaches Nunchauka, Bo, and Sword arts. What Im seeking to do is a personal project on my own as it relates to sai. I've always thought they were intersting and at the point I started TKD, I was like surely there is a Korean variation to be found. Seems like the more I search the less I seem to find which has fueled my need to find stuff now.

Also I just look and you're near Champaign Il, which is like a 2hr 43min drive one way for me. I do appreciate ur offer to help me.