best throwing weapon?

Posted by: TigerMA

best throwing weapon? - 09/03/06 07:18 PM

Out of shuriken(shino), throwing spikes, and throwing needles, which is best at:
-Accuracy-short range?
-Accuracy-long range?
-Damage-short range?
-Damage-long range?

thanks in advance
Posted by: Reiki

Re: best throwing weapon? - 09/03/06 08:16 PM

I'm only familiar with throwing shuriken and spears so I'll butt out to someone with more experience like Victor Smith.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: best throwing weapon? - 09/04/06 06:40 AM

Reiki,

I was taught if you throw a weapon you loose it.

On the other hand my favorite weapon is two bricks. Picked it up in a very old kung fu movie.

You start smashing them together in a beat, and then move. Very satisfying smashing them together when you enemy is between them (of course this is a joke - but it was cool in the movie in the 70's).

On the other hand if I had to throw something, bricks would definately be it.

I don't practice the arts to be an assassin, so throwing weapons have no relevance to me.

Sorry,
Posted by: MikeC

Re: best throwing weapon? - 09/04/06 09:12 AM

The one you are skilled with.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: best throwing weapon? - 09/04/06 06:01 PM

cellphone...

Haven't you seen the cellphone with the "personal security device" commercial?

Posted by: Reiki

Re: best throwing weapon? - 09/04/06 06:11 PM

Brick - do

I like it!
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: best throwing weapon? - 09/04/06 07:01 PM

They all do the same amount of damage, it's superficial damage at best that you can count on, if you get lucky maybe you nick an artery and it kills the guy.

Darts are the most accurate throwing weapons.

Fine pointed shaken are probably the most damaging if they have a good spin on them. But you might as well just throw a thin sanding disc at someone because that'll slice em open better than a shaken will.

I'm partial to senban shuriken and teppan because they have a lot of weight, teppan can probably knock someone out if it hits their head hard enough.
Posted by: IRKguy

Re: best throwing weapon? - 11/20/06 12:50 AM

Anything you throw is a distraction weapon. My grandfather used to know how to throw a Bowie knife into the wall of any tavern he happened to be handed a knife in when he was drunk enough to do it (maybe too much info there) but I would not consider even his throws to be a kiling blow. (He didn't either; he considered it a way of winning bets in bars. His Colt SAA was what he considered a killing strike, and I never saw him without it.) They generally went about two inches into the wall. The heart and lungs are deeper than that. I can't imagine that any kind of shuriken will penetrate deeper than a Bowie knife.

Anything you throw is kind of meaningless. Otherwise, you would not throw it away. What matters is how quickly you follow what you threw or how quickly you run away. Think about it. It's better to throw a pillow at someone and then stab him while he's batting it away than to throw a knife at him and expect it to kill him. It's even better to throw a knife and then run like hell while he's dealing with that. It's best to throw the pillow and still have the knife in case he catches up with you. Don't expect the knife or shuriken to matter too much. If you want a weapon that will really do damage when you throw it, a brick is the way to go, and it is pretty eaay to attain. Throwing a brick is considered assault with a deadly weapon in many juristictions. Good luck trying to convince the DA that the weapon you threw was thrown in self-defense. In court, self-defense tends to be arm's length.

Not a sermon, just a thought.
Posted by: swseibukan

Re: best throwing weapon? - 11/20/06 11:34 AM

For accuracy and effectiveness at close or long range, I kind of like 2-3” rocks.
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: best throwing weapon? - 11/20/06 12:04 PM

Grenades!
Posted by: harlan

Re: best throwing weapon? - 11/20/06 12:06 PM

'Forks and spoons...but not knives.' -Blue Raja

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: best throwing weapon? - 11/20/06 12:58 PM

If I had to choose one ...it would be a "toss up" (no pun intended) between a Chakram or an Atlatl.

I don't know how to use either one...but that wasn't part of the original question.
Posted by: CVV

Re: best throwing weapon? - 11/20/06 04:03 PM

Boomerang. Comes back when I miss.
The one used in one of the Mad Max movies by the little kid. If you did not know how to pick it from the air, you would loose your fingers/hand. Would be a real rush training with it. Easy to spot good instructors from bad.
Posted by: warman

Re: best throwing weapon? - 01/31/07 03:48 AM

THE NEEDLES ARE BEST FOR SHORT RANGE THE SPIKES FOR LONG RANGE

--------

Can you please turn the caps lock off, typing in all capitals is equivalent to ****SHOUTING**** at everyone!

Thankyou.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: best throwing weapon? - 02/01/07 07:43 PM

Always go back to the basics...

1) Pick up rock

2) Throw rock

3) Repeat

Really, foe centuries, the rock, whether thrown by hand or by sling, has been a most formamidable weapon. It's cheap, plentiful & deadly (w/ practice).
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: best throwing weapon? - 02/01/07 11:51 PM

Shuriken is going to your best bet. The damage is excellent,especially if weighted. The range is going to be better than a spike or needle and just as good as a knife. And no matter what side hits, a shuriken is going to stick.
Posted by: Meibukan003

Re: best throwing weapon? - 02/02/07 10:06 AM

Frag Hand Gernade. For sure. Not very suttle though...

Oh, martial weapon! Sai's are ok for throwing, but they can be caught and thrown back at you. I found out the hard way.

So that being the case, I'm with shuriken as the best martial throwing weapon, with spikes a close second...

Actually a tomahawk is a pretty nice weapon. Compact, good for close in fighting and can still be thrown.

Also, a spear would be effective as a thrown weapon...

Re: best throwing weapon? - 02/02/07 11:59 AM

What the Fk were you thinking? Throwing sai @ one another? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I open-up YouTube some day & see something like this:

Shakey camera, someone's back yard, couch & Ford Pinto on blocks in the background.

Mei - "Hey, look @ me...I'm a ninjer" (throws sai @ buddy)

(Buddy catches sai & flings it back)

Mei - "ow,ow,ow,ow,ow" (hands clasped over his chest, sai protruding, shirt getting redder, blood dripping on the ground)

(off camera laughter as Mei stumbles around) "Hey dude, you stuck Meibukan. Your in deep $hT now"

Mei - "@$$hole...now you owe me a new shirt" (falls over)

Commentary: Another candidate for the Darwin Awards

Re: best throwing weapon? - 02/02/07 12:58 PM

And this years Darwin Award winner is.....

Re: best throwing weapon? - 02/02/07 01:04 PM

I don't think sai make good throwing weapons at all. I mean, sure...short range it will go right through a foot...but it's no good past about 7 ft. because of spin. Or am I doing something wrong?

Re: best throwing weapon? - 02/02/07 02:17 PM

Actually you got the right idea harlan. A traditional set of Sai's did not come in a pair but in a set of three. One was used to stake the opponent to the ground by throwing the sai through it. The other two were then used to disarm then destroy the opponent

Re: best throwing weapon? - 02/05/07 03:15 PM

Quote:

What the Fk were you thinking? Throwing sai @ one another? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I open-up YouTube some day & see something like this:

Shakey camera, someone's back yard, couch & Ford Pinto on blocks in the background.

Mei - "Hey, look @ me...I'm a ninjer" (throws sai @ buddy)

(Buddy catches sai & flings it back)

Mei - "ow,ow,ow,ow,ow" (hands clasped over his chest, sai protruding, shirt getting redder, blood dripping on the ground)

(off camera laughter as Mei stumbles around) "Hey dude, you stuck Meibukan. Your in deep $hT now"

Mei - "@$$hole...now you owe me a new shirt" (falls over)

Commentary: Another candidate for the Darwin Awards

LOL. It's all good and it was a long time ago. My friend is nuts. For example, he falls down stairs for fun. Oh, he jugles knives too. He once put an arrow through a satillite dish. I didn't attempt to catch the sai's when he threw them back. I was too in shock that he caught them at all.

Give him the award!

Re: best throwing weapon? - 02/05/07 03:19 PM

Quote:

Actually you got the right idea harlan. A traditional set of Sai's did not come in a pair but in a set of three. One was used to stake the opponent to the ground by throwing the sai through it. The other two were then used to disarm then destroy the opponent

That's right! See? Throwing sai's is a valid skill to have...
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: best throwing weapon? - 02/05/07 05:37 PM

Quote:

'Forks and spoons...but not knives.' -Blue Raja

(A Blue Raja Question only....)
Why not Knives?

(He who questions training.. only trains himself at asking questions)
Posted by: webby

Re: best throwing weapon? - 03/03/07 10:55 AM

i woudnt choose to throw anything if i got into a fight. inless it was sand or mud as a distraction...but for a sport or fun i would choose the throwing knfies...very fun
Posted by: Narcissist_07

Re: best throwing weapon? - 04/11/07 05:56 PM

this is kind of off topic but I have created my very own- wait for it- home-made sai, but before you stop reading this lemme tell u the rest. The pics are on photobucket and the url's are at the bottom. I made them from two old curtain rods which I first made thin at the tip with pliers. Then I took two broken hanger hooks and taped them to the sides for handles. Lastly I applied silver duct tape for the fake "metal" look and there you have it. I made them once before and there were alot of extra additions to make them look better, but this is the basic form of them. PS they are very hollow, since they are made from curtain rods, but with the right amount of tape they are EXTREMELY sturdy. Pics: http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/cameroncampbell06/fakesai023.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/cameroncampbell06/fakesai022.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/cameroncampbell06/fakesai021.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/cameroncampbell06/fakesai019.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/cameroncampbell06/fakesai013.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/cameroncampbell06/fakesai012.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/cameroncampbell06/fakesai009.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/cameroncampbell06/fakesai004.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/cameroncampbell06/fakesai002.jpg
Thanks for taking time out 4 me!
Posted by: JKogas

Re: best throwing weapon? - 04/11/07 05:58 PM

Quote:

Grenades!

Damn, beat me to it.

-John
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: best throwing weapon? - 04/11/07 06:30 PM

why? you can buy cheapo but sturdy steel sais for $15. curtain rods and duct tape cost about the same.

Re: best throwing weapon? - 04/12/07 01:01 AM

If you try to do some fancy flipping, please make sure your buddy video's it & put it on YouTube...I need a good laugh (referencing the back-flip nunchaku guy)

Re: best throwing weapon? - 04/12/07 11:49 AM

Best throwing weapon? Poisened darts. The verbal kind that don't miss, and hurt a lot. Reusable...but not retractable.
Posted by: brocksampson

Re: best throwing weapon? - 05/10/07 11:07 PM

If I got a weapon I'm not throwing it at anybody! I'll keep any weapon(s) I have where they can be best used, in hand. If he's far enough to throw something at him, that's my cue to leave. (Though I'm not saying it could NEVER happen.)

If I have to throw something I guess a cup of hot coffee would be good!?
Posted by: CloudKr

Re: best throwing weapon? - 07/10/07 11:35 AM

Riiiight...well just so you know, the throwing weapons which were mostly used by ninjas as the shuriken (hira shuriken) and the "throwing spike" (bo shuriken) weren't most of the time used to kill. They would be used to try to stop someone you're runing away from. A shuriken in your hand will probably make you think twice before continuing your pursuit... But then again the ninjas would sometimes put poison on the shuriken which would of course be used to kill but was a bit inconvenient for the user who could injure himself while searching for the shuriken...
As for the throwing needles there were different theories about how to use them and about their effectiveness. I forgot most of it so I'll try to find it again...but otherwise they were used to hit pressure points and another very common target would be the eye since it's the weakest spot on the body. They could be thrown from a person's mouth but then again there were several theories about that...
Sorry TigerMA but I can't tell you which is better in the different domains...I'll try to look it up however.

Re: best throwing weapon? - 07/10/07 09:59 PM

Uhhhh...
Ok.
http://askaninja.com/news/2006/01/09/question-5-ninja-skills
Posted by: savaged

Re: best throwing weapon? - 07/17/07 12:07 PM

if i was going to throw something at an attacker it would be some loose change! (to distract them) while i make a quick getaway
Posted by: shinkengata

Re: best throwing weapon? - 09/08/07 02:46 PM

hand grenades lmao +1

shuriken and knives chinese rings would be good if you managed to get a throat shot or eyes. but rember the ninja werent a bunch of morons neither were any other highly skilled martial artest. distraction is great but they wouldnt throw with just "distraction" in mind they are aiming for specific points it may not be so much an instant kill but if you can open a main artery or get a opponents tendon in the eg. inside of the elbo, they are going to be pretty useless after that.

just my .02$

Re: best throwing weapon? - 09/10/07 01:26 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood. My responses were based solely in reality. I've come to the wrong place.
Posted by: Mjolnir73

Re: best throwing weapon? - 11/06/07 04:46 PM

One throwing weapon I've used with efficiency is my knives sheath. As far as damage, it is useless. A bonus even. It's real advantage is a distraction, which anyone knows can be valuable. Removing the knife and sheath from where I keep it, I have practiced hundreds of times to accurately throw it. Using it once on an actual assailant.

A small, hard plastic object properly thrown can impact with an attackers face accurately with practice. This will in most cases cause an instinctive swat.

You could easily apply this to any number of improvised objects or weapons of opportunity. Remember, a weapon doesn't necessarily have to inflict damage. A distractive action can be just as well.
Posted by: tsafa

Re: best throwing weapon? - 11/09/07 04:02 PM

The best throwing weapon is a javlin. You will get maximum distance and a the weapon has enough mass and speed to kill. It has been around from at least 1200 bc. It likly dates back to the stone age. You normaly run to gain momentum, twist your hip into the throw, and follow through with the arm. You need a good throwing elbow to use a javlin and I don't have one.

I would use the discus. You spin to gain momentum, twist your hips into the throw, and follow through with the arm. You get similar distance but it does not have a point for killing. So it is more of a distraction weapon for breaking up enemy lines.

At a short distance of about 10 to 15 feet, the best weapon is an hand axe. The forward weight makes it very easy to use. I have taught people to stick the axe consistantly within 20 min. The handle provides good leverage and the forward weight just pulls it forward. The axe practicaly throws itself. Even if you don't put the edge into the target, the weapon has enough mass to do damage no matter how it lands.

The worse weapon to throw is a knife. Even weight forward throwing kives have a hard time sticking. There is just not enough mass there to do any serious damage. The knife works best when it is still in your hand.
Posted by: jacobwauthier

Re: best throwing weapon? - 12/22/07 03:31 AM

throw a weapon only as a last resort and when you can get it back really fast. other wise the friend that you didnt see now has a weapon.
Posted by: LoMe

Re: best throwing weapon? - 01/09/08 08:39 AM

Quote:

Grenades!

I think so to
Posted by: Th0r

Re: best throwing weapon? - 01/13/08 02:40 PM

Grenades and molotov cocktails for full effect. Knife throwing is an art and a lethally, silent means of killing.But I believe that art has been lost. Javelins are good, but not effective enough.
Posted by: bcihak

Re: best throwing weapon? - 01/13/08 03:51 PM

Any caliber of bullet actually thrown from a revolver or a semi-automatic pistol.
Posted by: Vennificus

Re: best throwing weapon? - 01/23/08 05:52 AM

I agree with anyone who said "rocks."
think of it. near infinite ammo, assorted shapes to keep them guessing, assorted sharrpnesses and materials,
ranging from the exploding and elastic shale, to the sharp and more exploding flint
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: best throwing weapon? - 01/23/08 03:02 PM

Quote:

throw a weapon only as a last resort and when you can get it back really fast. other wise the friend that you didnt see now has a weapon.

Wrong. If you're at last resort keep your weapon to make your last stand. Knives and such are thrown as more of a distraction than any kind of fight finisher, usually by someone who has more than one. You throw the first knife and while they're mind is dealing with that one you rush in for your finish with the other knife you had at the ready. Or to escape, or to give time for you to draw your gun, etc. etc. etc.

But, you don't voluntarily 'give' your enemy your weapon. Especially if it's your only weapon.

edit -
Quote:

The knife works best when it is still in your hand.

Exactly.