Your martial arts weopon of choice

Posted by: Steel91

Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/16/06 12:19 AM

I would choose the escrima stick, short, simple, to the point. It's basically then , and then obviously
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/16/06 09:17 AM

Assuming I'm attacked at unexpectedly, my weapon of choise is whatever I have in my hand. A bottle, a book, a can, a keys, pencils or pens, a car or even a kleenex (and yes I can use kleenex offensively), and if I have nothing in my hand, well my weapon of choice would be my hand.
Posted by: Steel91

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/16/06 02:02 PM

I said MARTIAL ARTS weapon of choice (not trying to be a smart a$$ by the way)
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/16/06 04:58 PM

Straight stick(use it like kendo i guess) or filipino sticks.
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/16/06 05:03 PM

Boken.
Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/23/06 02:34 AM

Disarm him of his, and use that

Okay, okay, for real I like TRAINING with the arnis stick, as it can be just about anything.

But, as for my personal preference of arms, I like the telescoping baton. Don't know if it counts, but it's basically an arnis stick that I can keep on me without a) drawing attention b) small and relatively lightweight.

I live near Chicago (predicatbly), and since I know I will be moving there someday(and I don't exactly posses the "imposing" body-type) I figure I will procure one sooner or later.

One thing I DO NOT like seeing people with however, is a knife. It's not a "self-defense" weapon, it's a combat weapon. Combat in that, your intent is not to restrain/halt you offender, so much as it is maim/kill him when you take out something sharp. Way to messy, plus invites a lawsuit on your hide whe the guys gets outta the hospital. Not fun at all.

Then, there's the whole "But officer, he came at me first! If he didn't lose all that blood, he could TOTALLY back me up on that." problem, too.

I could see knife, but only if you live in a REALLY bad place and need THAT kind of protection.

By the way, HILARIOUS use of the old emoticons. Love that creative flair.
Posted by: gregc618

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/24/06 10:11 AM

Quote:

even a kleenex (and yes I can use kleenex offensively

I get this mental picture of you "OFFENSIVELY ATTACKING YOUR NOSE with that WEAPONS-GRADE KLEENEX you have in your hand" However I don't see anyone gettin knocked out. Maybe its the germs that got him.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/25/06 02:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I get this mental picture of you "OFFENSIVELY ATTACKING YOUR NOSE with that WEAPONS-GRADE KLEENEX you have in your hand" However I don't see anyone gettin knocked out. Maybe its the germs that got him.

<groan>
Posted by: SpeedyGonzales

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/25/06 03:30 AM

Quote:

Boken.

I heard a swordsman say that nunchucks are better for multiple opponents because if you hit with a bokken for split second you are stuck on/in him but a pair of nunchucks can hit multiple people with ease.... this was coming from a swordsman! so I would have to say nunchucks now

Quote:

Quote:

soak it in cyanide and spit-ball it in his eye?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/25/06 03:46 AM

Posted by: gregc618

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/25/06 09:34 AM

Quote:

<groan>

Should I git ya a doctor for all that groaning?
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/26/06 04:26 AM

I would choose the escrima stick as well seeing as it is straight to the point and very practical.
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/26/06 07:34 AM

Quote:

I would choose the escrima stick as well seeing as it is straight to the point and very practical.

I didn't know escrima sticks were pointy (sorry, that wasn't at all funny).

I pick staff, as it's the only weapon I know how to use.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 06/26/06 08:26 AM

It may be a cliche, but I like it anyway: the pen is mightier than the sword.

It can cut, has a point, and is extremely versatile...depending on the skill of the one who wields it.

But since I'm not a writer or a politician, and prefer to avoid the title of 'armchair warrior', I'd choose a bo. I do like a nice piece of hickory.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/26/06 10:24 AM

Harlan,

Actually pen technique (a variation of stick technique) works quite well too. Not necessarily as Matt Damon used in 'The Bourne Identity', but with great versitility. It can pass thorugh metal detectors with Innocence. It can dig quite well into many of the bodies weak areas.

And carrying a pen you may never be unarmed.

All things are never equal, and the pen isn't a weapon of superiority, just one of sneakiness. And it even works when the ink is dry.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 06/26/06 10:28 AM

The pen can run dry...as long as The Well never does.

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 06/27/06 04:34 AM

I take a pen everywhere because not only can they be used to stick in peoples weak points they also can help write down the ladies numbers
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 06/27/06 07:44 AM

I'd go with the nunchaku. You can hit, lock up, and beat down multiple people at once, Awesome weapon but it does take some degree of knowledge to wield.

Yari and sai are my runners up.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/27/06 08:32 AM

I'm like a MA redneck, instead of a rifle in the rear window of my truck there is an oak bokken. The local police have never said a thing, I think there legal? (some are my students) and It feels very comfortable having it near my side in the event of an emergency. Other MA weapons are fine but personally my choice is the bokken.
Posted by: webby

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/27/06 12:50 PM

nunchuku for sure....ive been trainig with that for 3 years and i can use it for blocking,locking and disarming..

tight belts

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 06/28/06 04:32 AM

Nunchuku's are good fun but I havent had much practice with them.
Kama's are good fun.
Posted by: SpeedyGonzales

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 06/29/06 05:35 PM

Quote:

It may be a cliche, but I like it anyway: the pen is mightier than the sword.

It can cut, has a point, and is extremely versatile...depending on the skill of the one who wields it.

But since I'm not a writer or a politician, and prefer to avoid the title of 'armchair warrior', I'd choose a bo. I do like a nice piece of hickory.

What if there was a sword that had a built in retractable pen that can come out of the handle?
Perfect weapon:
It has both the words and the action to back up the words
Posted by: Revanus

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 06/29/06 08:41 PM

I like nunchakus and the bo staff. Nunchakus can be used to block, attack and strangle. The bo staff has good range and are quite powerful once you hit the target, like the nunchakus. The downside with nunchakus is that they aren't that userfriendly if you don't have wery much experience.....
(getting one of those in the head is ouch...)

-----
hence why I suggest wearing a hard helmet when starting out with nunchaku before you learn how to make them go dead properly...
Posted by: Ryan_Doherty

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 06/30/06 01:14 AM

Iv'e always liked the Tessen. I have no idea how to use it though, aside from smacking someone over the head with it.
Umbrella is good too. A nice strong one, that is..

Other than this I would carry a short sword/knife with me wrapped in cloth so if ever the going got tough I could just commit harakiri.

But in a perfect world every body would carry a daisho and duels to the death would be a daily occurring thing..

P.S a loyal rottwieller or alsation is good to walk with. I know it's not so much of a MA weapon. But good protection none the less.
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 07/07/06 01:38 AM

Short sword. Wakizashi or similar sized curved weapon. In a pinch a tanto. I carry a hissatsu knife for SD which is based off a tanto design.

Longer the better though. Longer than a bad guy can reach and you can always throw it into his neck or chest if you need him to go away more quickly from a distance.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 07/12/06 11:39 PM

Are we speaking of a martial arts weapon for real, everyday self defense?

Simple. Glock 9mm. Not a traditional weapon to be sure, although it does have a distinct martial history.

So are we really talking about defensive weapons or just really cool [censored] we learned to use in the dojo and think it would be great on the street.

I see hundreds and hundreds of people walking down the streets of various cities everyday. Don't ever see any carrying nunchaku or bo, or katana or escrima sticks.

When was the last time you went to a bar or club and were carrying your stick or cane? Let alone nunchaku

Page
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 07/18/06 01:00 PM

OK...I love my Sig .40 cal. (no CCW though)

MA weapon...arnis baston (sure I don't carry it but I have a pair in my car).
Posted by: night

Re: Your martial arts weapon of choice - 07/21/06 01:09 AM

i have a few weapons i like but my favotires are shurikens and a naginata, but l'd prefer just using my hands, i can use my hands easier than any weapon.
Posted by: GiriStudent

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 08/06/06 03:22 PM

I am currently training in the tambo which is essentially a stick thats one inch longer then you fore arm....
Posted by: MasterPablo

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 10/11/08 10:41 PM

Mine would probably be the Japanese Katana and wakizashi, this is because im most prepared to defend myself with them.
Posted by: meteorhammer

Re: Your martial arts weopon of choice - 12/27/08 02:13 AM

meteor hammer has become my favorite weapon of choice because of its versatility, and because i cant seem to get tired of it.