Have kobudo weapon, will travel?

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/11/06 11:30 PM

This may or may not apply to me, but I was curious about what (if any), kobudo weapons are allowed within checked-in luggage aboard commercial flights?

let's say I'm traveling from Canada to the US or within the US with kama, sai, and other pointy sharp thingies as gifts in my luggage - would I be held and detained at an undisclosed location for an unspecified time? I mean if they confiscate nailclippers, then I have slim chance with kobudo stuff right?

thanks for any info.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/12/06 07:21 AM

Your best bet, IF you were travelling... is to check with the airline. I would hazard a guess that such items in hand luggage would generally be frowned upon...
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/12/06 07:42 AM

over hear (UK) I wouldnt chance it not as hand luggage and its alot togher in USA etc etc), can you put luggage in the hold? That shouldnt be a problem.
Posted by: Xaith

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/12/06 12:16 PM

Pretty much everything that is legal to own in both your departure point and your destination can be put in luggage that you check in, that is to say the luggage that is stored in the cargo hold. Just keep in mind that Airlines can and do lose bags, so don't check anything you wouldn't mind replacing.

Another good idea would be to make the weapons as safe as possible, keep the pointy things wrapped in cloth or bubble wrap, the sharp ones in their scabbards and preferably not just tossed loose in your luggage amongst your clothing, but secured or in a box. This way it's more clearly a gift and you won't surprise any official who might randomly search your bag.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/12/06 12:29 PM

The thought of metal detectors going off, having to deal with questions, or the opposite tack of showing kama/sai as travel on....seems like it would make some airport folks nervous.

I'd mail it to myself instead, and insure it.
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/12/06 04:48 PM

I have travelled all around the States and to Japan with my Japanese swords. As long as they are checked, there's no problem. Always refer to them as "martial arts equipment". Make sure that they are well protected as airline baggage handlers will beat things to a pulp if at all possible. I use a lockable hard sided gun case (with a sign on the side saying "martial arts equipment!) and they have still managed to rip off two handles and put a small crack in one end. They will want to open the case, so make sure you arrive at the airport with a little extra time.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/12/06 05:06 PM

Our international jousters usually travel with all sorts of stuff including swords, battleaxes and armour.

One of the guys who came over from USA for our tourney even brought his saddle with him and all his horse trappings. He had about 150kg of stuff...

The airlines were all fine with it as long as the gear was checked in.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/16/06 05:07 PM

(Mental Image)

Ed walking through the airport metal detector in his "Ninjer" costume. Lights & sirens go off, airport secruity draw down on him, bomb-sniffing dogs straining @ their leashes, barking & snapping. As Ed raises his hands to remove his Ninja-to (sword) from his back, Shuriken (throwing stars) fall out of his sleaves. A smoke-bomb accidentally discharges in his pants but he can't get it out because the cuffs have been tied in typical "Ninjer" style. As he dances around, smoke pouring out of his costume, his Kusari-gama (sickle & chain) falls on the floor w/ the chain wrapping around his ankles causing him to fall. He attempts to catch himself but his "tiger claws" only manage to get caught in the metal detector causing it to arc, shocking the fillings right out of his teeth. As the smoke clears, his hair resembles a burnt palm tree & he thinks to himself "...maybe I should have driven...".

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/16/06 08:32 PM

or in his 'traditional' sunday best perhaps -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/43/Samurai.JPG/250px-Samurai.JPG

security - 'I think we will check this one Bob', Bob says 'after you Tery.......'

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/17/06 07:03 AM

actually, since I'm visiting LA...I was thinking atire more along these lines:
http://plannedchaos.org/kill-bill.jpg

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/17/06 02:16 PM

LOL, nice and erm ...... yellow very Game Of Death eh?
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/18/06 03:19 PM

Quote:

This may or may not apply to me, but I was curious about what (if any), kobudo weapons are allowed within checked-in luggage aboard commercial flights?

let's say I'm traveling from Canada to the US or within the US with kama, sai, and other pointy sharp thingies as gifts in my luggage - would I be held and detained at an undisclosed location for an unspecified time? I mean if they confiscate nailclippers, then I have slim chance with kobudo stuff right?

thanks for any info.

check out this TSA word doc and scroll down to martial arts supplies

[edit: ] erm the link would be helpful www.tsa.gov/public/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/18/06 06:22 PM

very tasty outfit Ed.
Especially the long blonde hair, it'd look good on you.

I can just see you in this little number...
it might pay to add a few weapons though.

Re: Have kobudo weapon, will travel? - 06/18/06 08:35 PM

thanks for the link...exactly what I was looking for.