Hakama: where is the belt worn???

Posted by: Ronin1966

Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 05/30/06 12:17 PM

Hello:

I am confidant with literally any weapon training I can even imagine you want your clothing to be 100% out of the way, regardless of the particular weapon....

I noticed over the weekend several publications whose practitioners had their BELTS outside (ie over the top)of their Hakama I did/do not practice those particular art(s), but am racking my brain trying to find/conceive even the smallest justification for doing so? Is their any good justification, any reason to wear the belt on the outside (sic. where at worst it is an avoidable problem and potential for a dangerous tangle...)? It screamed at me sufficently that I am compelled to ask those whose knowledge is particular to weapons....

Are my instincts wrong here?
Jeff
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 05/30/06 07:51 PM

Maybee to show off your belt?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 05/31/06 01:08 AM

I don't know why anyone would want to wear a "karate" type belt on the outside of their hakama. If your going to wear one at all i think it should be worn under your hakama. I think it's pointless to learn the proper way to tie a hakama if you’re just going to cover it with a belt other than an Obi. I've seen a lot of schools doing the same thing simply because their founder/instructor doesn't know any better. Traditionally a karate type belt wasn't worn with a hakama so there isn't a "traditional" way to do it.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 05/31/06 01:40 PM

Quote by laf7773 -

Quote:

Traditionally a karate type belt wasn't worn with a hakama so there isn't a "traditional" way to do it.

That was my understanding as well.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 05/31/06 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote by laf7773 -

Quote:

Traditionally a karate type belt wasn't worn with a hakama so there isn't a "traditional" way to do it.

That was my understanding as well.

ditto
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 05/31/06 04:13 PM

The obi (belt) is usually worn under the hakama with the knot at the back so that the board of the hakama can sit on it and the hakama is then tied over and around the belt. (the obi is usually a soft belt around 3 times as wide as a standard karate obi and would around the waist a few times)

I think that those that wear the obi over the hakama do so because it's a sign of rank.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 06/01/06 02:43 AM

Well duh!
Posted by: schanne

Re: Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 06/01/06 02:06 PM

It's also a nice place to hold your katana..... The obi/belt doesn't get in the way, does your karate belt get in the way when you wear your gi? Sometimes when I feel like being a MA hippie I wear my Hakama like a Scottsman wears a kilt!
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 06/02/06 08:52 PM

It's not done at all. I guess it was an American invention by some krotty-sensay who thought he looked cool (different from the other great-grand sokay's).

It doesn't look cool...it looks stupid...like epaulettes on commo's.

Posted by: SpeedyGonzales

Re: Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 06/04/06 05:46 AM

Hakamas themselves are really a pain, in fact there is actually terminology for the action of pulling your hakama out of the way so you can do a technique (forgot the word though)

I heard it was so your opponent can't see your footwork, but really outside of being "ceremonial" and otherwise looking important I wouldn't want to wear it. Besides I'm in America, only a few experienced fighters here pay attention to feet, and by that time they are 40-50 year old OG's
Posted by: schanne

Re: Hakama: where is the belt worn??? - 06/08/06 04:43 PM

True, never saw a person put on a hakama so they could spar better, still prefer my Gi.