The different styles of kobudo

Posted by: Ives

The different styles of kobudo - 05/27/06 03:47 PM

First I must say, I don't know much about any other than the style I train in. Ryu Kyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shink Kai.

But I heared about some other styles. Yamane Ryu, Matayoshi Kobudo.

The big names I keep hearing are Matayoshi and Shinken Taira.

Are these to only styles and are there more big names that I might find interesting?

I'ld like to search a bit into the beginning and the fathers of kobudo.

Can you help me a little further?
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: The different styles of kobudo - 05/29/06 09:50 AM

Yamani , Matayoshi, and Ryukyu are the largest surviving kobudo systems today, however i know that there is still small systems such as Village Kobudo as taught by Hohan Soken which is still preserved.
Posted by: harlan

Re: The different styles of kobudo - 08/23/06 02:02 PM

bump

(topics like this should be stickied in case others want to add links, or more info)

Re: The different styles of kobudo - 08/23/06 02:35 PM

recently heard of a kobujutsu system being taught in the UK called Itosu Ryu Kobudo. I think the katas that they study are primarily of ryukyu origin. I didnt find much more on them.

Re: The different styles of kobudo - 08/28/06 09:12 AM

I recently heard of a style called 'tesshinkan'. It is trained in germany somewhere, if I understood well. Don't know anything more, maybe I can find some more info.

Re: The different styles of kobudo - 09/02/06 08:32 AM

The Ryukyu splits in Inoue and Akamine. Tesshinkan is a version of the Akamine lineage.

BÔ – KATA
SHÛSHI-NO-KUN (SHÔ) / (DAI)
SAKUGAWA-NO-KUN (SHÔ) / (DAI)
SUEYOSHI-NO-KUN
SOEISHI-NO-KUN
SOSEKI-NO-KUN
CHÔUN-NO-KUN
CHINEN-SHIKIYANAKA-NO-KUN
YONEGAWA (YUNIGA)-NO-KUN
SEISOKO-NO-KUN
SHIROTARU-NO-KUN
TSUKEN-NO-KUN
CHATAN-YARA-NO-KUN
KONGO-NO-KUN
URASOE (URASHI)-NO-KUN
CHIKIN (TSUKEN)-SUNAKAKE-NO-KUN ( ÊKU )

SAI - KATA
CHIKIN (TSUKEN)-SHITAHAKU-NO-SAI
HAMA-HIGA-NO-SAI
CHATAN-YARA-NO-SAI
KUGUSUKU (KOJO)-NO-SAI
YAKAA-NO-SAI
TAWATA-NO-SAI
MANJI-NO-SAI

KAMA - KATA
TOZAN (TOYAMA)-NO-NICHÔ-KAMA
KANEGAWA-NO-NICHÔ-KAMA

TEKKÔ - KATA
MAEZATO-NO-TEKKÔ

TUNFA (TONFA) - KATA
HAMA-HIGA-NO-TUNFA
YARA-GUWA-NO-TUNFA

NUNCHAKU - KATA
MAEZATO-NO-NUNCHAKU
AKAMINE-NO-NUNCHAKU

TINBÊ - KATA
KANEGAWA-NO-TINBÊ

Other KATA
MAEZATO-NO-SURUJIN
KUSHAKU-NO-BÔ
SAN-SETSU-KON
YON-SHAKU-NO-BÔ

These are the kata as trained in Tesshinkan. Most of them are also in the system I train in.

Re: The different styles of kobudo - 09/02/06 10:32 AM

Yes I study most of those as well with a few exception because we include Matayoshi Kobudo kata, as well as a few Village Kobudo kata into our curriculum as well. We also study the Nunte-bo and Eku (kai)
Posted by: brocksampson

Re: The different styles of kobudo - 09/21/06 01:52 AM

I train in a style of Ryu Kyu also. It's similar to the list posted above, plus or minus a few things.
I would imagine that most of the Okinawan styles are very similar with a few stylistic differences of course. This makes sense being a small island and considering much of what was taught seems to be originally derived from only a few sources.
If you're looking for historical information on Okinawan Kobudo you'll most likely find that it has not been directly connected to empty-hand arts for many generations, and that much of it is a modified form brought over from China.