Kukri as Kama

Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Kukri as Kama - 05/20/06 10:03 PM

I have been trying to use a pair of kukri as Kama, it is going pretty well, I am able to block and counter very well. I like the design of the knife and would love to get some formal training in its use. I do not believe the Bando type training is the real Himalayan art of the Kukri. Does anyone have any sources of info for this knife? How about any other unusual weapons to use.

I have a little bit of training in other weapons. The Katana, Sai, Tuifa, Bo, Kama and a few others. But honestly nothing in the Kukri that is of any substance. In truth, nothing in anything that is of any substance.
Posted by: swseibukan

Re: Kukri as Kama - 05/22/06 03:51 PM

And here I thought I was the only one. I've been practicing my kama kihon, kata and kumite with Cold Steels’ Kukri Machete http://www.coldsteel.com/97kms.html going on three years now. A bit heavier than kama but I have greater confidence in their ability to stop a baseball bat or any another big bladed weapon. Not to mention the intimidation factor involved.

Pat
Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Re: Kukri as Kama - 05/22/06 04:24 PM

The blocking to striking position switch takes a little getting use to, but other than that, I am having a blast. Cold Steel does an excellent job on ALL their blades. These guys at Cold Steel are the real deal and they use what they make. I have a lot of respect for Lynn Thompson, who I believe has trained with Dan Inosanto. I would not think twice about picking up a stick and using it as a Bo, Jo or Tanbo. perhaps this is why the use of the Kukuri came to me as a natural.

Next, see my Musical Kukri no Kyan Kata, Just kidding!