how to take care of sais

Posted by: jliu

how to take care of sais - 05/07/06 10:25 PM

Hi,

i just recently purchased a pair of sais, pretty cheap (only $25). I was wondering how to take care of them (oil, polish, etc).

Since they were only 25 bucks, the quality is obviously somewhat medoicre. If that matters.

thanks.
Posted by: gojumaster

Re: how to take care of sais - 05/08/06 12:46 AM

If you keep them all shiny, smooth, and slippery you'll have a really hard time catching and holding anything when you do weapon-kumite.

I prefer natural steel with a slight coat of oxidation.

Quote:

Hi,

i just recently purchased a pair of sais, pretty cheap (only $25). I was wondering how to take care of them (oil, polish, etc).

Since they were only 25 bucks, the quality is obviously somewhat medoicre. If that matters.

thanks.

Posted by: Joss

Re: how to take care of sais - 05/08/06 09:11 AM

What Russ said.

Sai seem to be about the most trouble free weapon there is. Wooden weapons break or wear out. Swords have edges to be careful of. Sai just have the handle wraps if you use them. Wipe off the dirt and blood with a about anything. File any deep, snaggy, nicks off the blade now and then. Ride 'em hard, put 'em away sweaty.
Posted by: harlan

Re: how to take care of sais - 05/08/06 09:27 AM

When I first purchased my Shureido sai, I didn't care for the covering. Not sure what it was, but it soon wore off after practicing throws. To prevent rusting I just used leftover linseed oil (I like to use fine, purified linseed oil for my bo).
Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Re: how to take care of sais - 05/08/06 01:49 PM

While we are on the sai subject, does anyone know where to get a really good pair of stainless sai. I like Shuriedo, however, the steel they use is not to good. If I good find a good pair, I would be able to sell them to a great many people. Something in 400 series stainless, maybe hardened to withstand a strike. Any ideas?
Posted by: Joss

Re: how to take care of sais - 05/08/06 03:53 PM

Paul,

I saw some of this guy's stuff at an Oyata seminar and it is nice, great feel. The website says it is cast stainless but I don't know what level. Just way to much price for me though. I could wear out six sets of the $50 ones I use and still have $20 left.

http://www.murasakikobudo.com/pages/sai.html