Help with the sectional staff

Posted by: akria_3900

Help with the sectional staff - 03/21/06 10:14 PM

Hello

I seek knowledge about the sectional staff.

I have searched the net for material related to the sectional staff and have found very little besides a low quality video here and their, and scatted explanations of its history. I am a poor student looking to improve my skill with this devastating weapon, any help with a link to training excises or videos would be very helpful.

Please note, I have read the forms rules about asking for video links and know I am not allowed to, however I have been training myself on various weapons (bow, Poi, dart) and forms for well over 8 years now and practice with the sectional staff almost daily.

Thank you for any direction you may have

~TIM

www.digitalmack.com
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Help with the sectional staff - 03/21/06 11:54 PM

That's an interesting question. I suggest you find a knowledgeable instructor in your area.

You're welcome.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Help with the sectional staff - 03/22/06 08:24 AM

akira,

One can certianly try and work out weapons on their own, which you seem to indicate you're doing. After all somebody did so themselves.

But it's a very hard road.

I trained in the 3 sectional staff a long time ago, under an extremely qualified instructor. Even in those circumstances I almost knocked myself out from a mistake and I'm aware of even more extreme accidents. But those high risk movemements are also where all the real power of the 3 sectional staff lie.

Weapons always bite the student.

On the other hand, for a relatively obscure weapon with little practical use today, what's the rush to do it yourself.

Find someone qualified in a system that uses it (Chinese or Okinawan) and obtain structured training.