Rings as Weapons

Posted by: Angellus

Rings as Weapons - 03/13/06 04:40 PM

I have been searching for a fighting style that involved rings as weapons. Any info would help me grreatly in my search.
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/13/06 06:32 PM

what????/
Posted by: Crazy_Eyes

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/14/06 12:58 AM

I dont think there is a style that does this. Rings just make your fists hurt more, so in that sense, any punching art? Boxing perhaps? Just learn how to punch then throw a few on if you really want too.
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/14/06 01:41 AM

Many styles use rings as weapons. They are just smaller versions of tekken (brass knuckles). Hidden weapons are also referred to as kakushibuki in Japanese and they are a part of many old Japanese arts.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/14/06 06:52 PM

There are photos of "tekken rings" [cant remember their proper names just at the moment] in one of my books on obscure & ancient Japanese weaponry.

I would ask though, why you want to find a MA style that uses them...

Be VERY careful about whatever you carry as a weapon, most countries have dim views on people who are toting this sort of thing.
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/16/06 09:39 AM

Learn how to box, then go on down to the local harley shop and buy several large biker style rings. Bikers and others use these technique, they wear large rings with skulls, eagles or other objects. They work well in causing extra damage when hitting without avtually being called a weapon per se.
Back in the days when I wore lots of leather, sported a beard and long hair and everythign I wore had a Harley Davidson emblem on it, then it was somewhat fashinable for me to wear rings like that and I wore them for that reason.
However, years later I am a different person and have a different dress style so obviously wearing thos kind sof rings would kinda stick out in a negative way.
Massad Ayoob in his book THE TRUTH ABOUT SELF PROTECTION did a chapter on improvised weapons and rings like this were talked about as far as brass knuckles and that kind of thing, all they will do is get you in a heap of trouble if you ever use them, even in a self defense situation.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/16/06 11:13 AM

I have a stainless steel signet ring that I wear sometimes on my right index finger. I imagine if I were to hit someone it would do some damage. I don't wear it for that, I wear it because I like it and my fiance's father made it for me.
Posted by: Dalen

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/16/06 11:23 AM

Condition you hands...and if you are going to wear rings, strike with your knuckle anyway. Hitting with the middle of the finger with the force focussed on the ring in stead of the knuckle is likely to break that finger right where the ring impacts the target...if you are truley adamant about this style, slowly condition your hands while wearing the rings in question against a punching bag; going from small amounts of force to full power as your ability to tolerate pain dictates.And never ever admit that the rings are anything but decorative unless you like jail...not even to friends...
Good luck
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/17/06 11:01 AM

Rings are found, obscurely, within a number of different training traditions, but not as primary arts.

For example you may note Bando black belts with index finger ringes with a raised nipple. The Bando stylist uses a rolling vertical strike (following their stick and kukri traditions to reinforce their striking ability) and the ring in turn allows their strike to be focused on that point. Perhaps a bit more pain, but if you don't strike as the Bando stylist does, the ring alone will give you little use.

Likewise some in the Pai Lum traditions, have dragon rings with raised spine ridges. These could be used in similar fashion, IMO. But you won't hear them discuss this. I assume this, if shared, is an inner tradition, not for open discussion. This is just from my own observation.

The use of a ring as a striking object requires very specific training to make it workable. And such traditions are not open for beginners from my observations.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/17/06 06:01 PM

I've seen several styles of rings that will inflict serious damage when used - most notably one that is raised in the middle w/ a notch (like the letter "V") cut out. The 2 points clear purpose is to cut your opponent.

My advice is to stay away from "cool" looking rings that are obviously designed to be weapons. If you maim someone during a fight (SD or not), you'll be looking @ more legal problems down the line. Most jurisdictions have very strict laws about concealed weapons. And don't expect airport security to believe your story ("...but's just a family ring passed down from my godfather..." - Don Corleon?)
Posted by: Xaith

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/20/06 10:37 PM

I think punching with rings is just going to hurt your fingers. I heard of turning rings around and using open-handed "slaps" with the ring on the inside of hand.

Now if you mean those weighted rings that go on the arms in some kung fu styles, I'm pretty sure they are just for training.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Rings as Weapons - 03/21/06 09:23 AM

The purposeful use of a ring as a weapon will open anyone for criminal charges under concealed weapons.

Using a ring to strike effectively, not just punching, takes specific training and continual reinforcement, as you would be striking specific points on an attacker for greater effect. Someone buying a ring and thinking this gives them the ability to defend themself instantly is making a very poor choice. They're more likely to get a better return bying a kobutan or carrying a strong pen and learning how to use it, than thinking a ring is the answer.

While there are a very few groups that have the potential of using ring striking, this is not a beginner option.

In fact use of any hand held weapon in most cases should be secondary to strong empty hand training (though the escrima arts are an exception to that answer).

Of course the most powerful hand held weapon any of us are likely to touch is a car, and I would never advocate using that either.
Posted by: dothacker

Re: Rings as Weapons - 07/03/08 11:17 AM

The name you are looking for is "Kakute" and there is a post in this forum about it.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Rings as Weapons - 07/03/08 11:36 AM

Dang... that was definitely the biggest necropost I've ever witnessed!
Posted by: dothacker

Re: Rings as Weapons - 07/03/08 11:53 AM

I am merely going through posts and saying what I have to say. Expect more.
Posted by: VietPanda

Re: Rings as Weapons - 07/30/08 09:13 AM

I think this guy might be talking about the huge iron/brass rings worn on the arms in CMA such as Hung Gar, as opposed to the small rings worn on fingers