makeshift weapons?

Posted by: thepanda

makeshift weapons? - 02/23/06 12:26 PM

hi, i live in london, and as you people who live here know, the streets are getting increasingly dangerous (in my area anyway) and the laws are getting increasingly more strict on weapons, so can anybody tell me what weapons are legal and illegal in London? i will only use them as a last resort (for self defence) of course, but i just want to know what is possible if there aren't any makeshift weapons lying around.

Posted by: Joss

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/23/06 12:37 PM

I know nothing about London or the UK, but I'm guessing a cane is legal there as anywhere... even on an airliner.

http://www.canemasters.com/
Posted by: thepanda

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/23/06 01:12 PM

Yeah, i was thinking of something more concealable, like brass knuckles under a glove, or a huge belt buckle, and plus its not that often that you see a 15 year old boy walking with a cane, is it?
Posted by: Joss

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/23/06 01:56 PM

Good point. At 56 you get a little different perspective. Maybe the trade off is you can run so much faster than me, you don't NEED a cane.

You could learn to play the flute - or pretend to...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0865680590/002-9347397-4587201?v=glance&n=283155
Posted by: webby

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/23/06 03:44 PM

you can get mettle pole keyrings. they called kubutons or summit like tht. if you learn right they are amzin for self defence ill post a linf with pictures and information on thm!
Posted by: Ives

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/23/06 03:59 PM

Webby, what's with the fancy lingo?

Did you mean: There are these weapons called, kobuton. They look like sticks on a key-ring. They are amazing so I will put a link on here with some illustrations. ??

Devon is in England right?
Posted by: Reiki

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/23/06 07:04 PM

I would say that having any concealed weapon will send u for a skate if the police find it!

How about a metal pen, and a pair of pliers. You can do some interesting things with pliers and they are perfectly legal to carry in your pocket in most countries.

I get funny looks carrying a katana about on the street these days. I wonder why?
Posted by: eyrie

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/23/06 09:07 PM

I believe the kubotan is illegal in some countries - UK in particular.

A cane/walking stick is a nice improvised weapon, especially if you have a legitimate reason to carry one in public. A concealed sword/dagger inside the cane, well, that's another story....

Other improvised weaponry - crutch, umbrealla, leather jacket, belts, handbags, short piece of cord, piano/guitar wire, guitar (although I wouldn't be using a Washburn or Fender for that purpose), bike chain, bike helmet, bike tyre, bunch of roses, feather duster (although why you'd be caught dead walking down the street with one is beyond my imagination).... lots of seemingly innocuous things can be used as weapons - limited by your imagination....
Posted by: JoelM

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/24/06 10:07 AM

I've heard that a goat can be particularly effective...

Posted by: Reiki

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/26/06 03:57 PM

Quote:

I've heard that a goat can be particularly effective...

LOL it makes a perfect weapon!

You can use it as a truncheon or a flail
Posted by: JoelM

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/26/06 11:26 PM

For those who are lost:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15752004/an/0/page/0#15752004
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/27/06 06:24 AM

>I believe the kubotan is illegal in some countries - UK in particular.< What an absolutely stupid law, wow I am glad I do not live in the UK. Why don't they go ahead and ban pens, wine bottle openers, pop bottles and candy bars too. Far too dangerous. Idiocy, where did the uk go wrong.. I digress.

Umbrellas are good for poking. Don't try grappling or striking with your average everyday umbrella, it's too lightweight and will break easily. But stabbing motions work great especially to vital areas of the body, it'll withstand a few of those.

Metal pens are a good substitute for kubotan, and good for hitting weak points or throwing as a distraction into another move. Don't use piano wire on someone unless you plan on risking killing them, that stuff cuts through skin way easily and you could find yourself slicing their arteries or something accidentally..

Keys are good for slashing someones face/eyes/neck with.

I've used stuff from a bag of groceries before. Cans of soup pack a lot of kinetic energy, I knocked a guy out by throwing one at his head when he encroached on my comfort zone a few years ago after a night time shopping spree. Of course any hard objects like bottles, etc... would work fine as well.

CD's broken in half can be used to scratch the hell out of someones face but it's a pretty desperate measure. But the edges on the corners are almost as sharp as broken glass. Or you can break it into 3 pieces and use one as a crude shank.

Sharpened or broken pencils can be used to stab the neck / side of the head or eyes. Kind of useless unless you know the right spots to hit as generally a pencil will break before puncturing skin (or skin like material which is what I tested on).
Posted by: eyrie

Re: makeshift weapons? - 02/27/06 06:52 AM

LOL... crude shanks ...all you have to do is ask someone who has "done time".
Posted by: meteorhammer

Re: makeshift weapons? - 12/27/08 03:34 AM

make a meteor hammer! wow is anyone getting annoyed by my obsession of meteor hammer yet??!!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway all ya got to do is find/buy a nice long rope, not thin like string but not too thick either. it should be the length of you arm span plus height, or so but you can always modify it to whatever the hell you desire.
on one end make a loop that you can quickly slip your wrist into but not so loose it can accidentally slip off.
on the opposite end find something with weight and tie it on. the weight can be up to you in this case but i'd recommend something solid that wont break, no bigger than you fist, and light enough you can maneuver it easily. trial and error.

by the way a meteor hammer is absolutely usless in a crowd with no room to swing it