RUN for the door.......

Posted by: Ronin1966

RUN for the door....... - 02/01/06 11:02 PM

Feeling mischevious tonight, wanted to ask members for their thoughts specific to weapons practice.

What kinds of things SPECIFICALLY if/when you see them being done, is a dead give away something is severely mistaken on whatever level in terms of instruction???

Lets avoid the whole child weapon issue if we can to keep this civil/easy. Aside from that, what indicates a problem whether technically, or otherwise... but hopefully technically

Examples:
Extended index finger along on the tigne <sp.?> of a sai
Tonfa in a galaxy far, far away (sic. from the practitioners forearm...)

So forth...

Thoughts ?
J
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/02/06 04:21 AM

Generally the more colourful the outfit they're wearing, the faster you should run away.

A note about the index finger thing, I guess it's wrong to do that in Okinawan styles. But many mainland Japanese styles feature the index finger pointing off the weapon (except during strikes/cuts, then it's retracted). Something about extending ki I guess.
Posted by: harlan

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/02/06 08:10 AM

twirling nunchaku and bos?
Posted by: Borrek

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/02/06 09:10 AM

Quote:

I especially like it when the nunchaku twirlers grab one side a few millimeters from the string. lol why do you think there is a whole long stick there?

a neat trick I learned is to watch them twirl it for a half second and then shoot in, grabbing the string, and ripping the nunchaku out of their hands. when they grab so close to the string, the string stays kind of stationary as you swing them.

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/02/06 09:12 AM

Hello Paradoxbox:

<<Generally the more colourful the outfit they're wearing

Oh come on, I LIKE their Satine <sp.?> material... really!!!! Btw, does that mean someones title emblazoned across their uniform/top counts too??? (a-typically pretty 6" red sequin lettering

<<A note about the index finger thing, I guess it's wrong to do that in Okinawan styles.

Anatomically, it certainly seems foolish... imagine one tiny digit sitting straight (sic. in front of the "tangs") awaiting its fracturing-splintering....

<<But many mainland Japanese styles feature the index finger pointing off the weapon (except during strikes/cuts, then it's retracted).

I am sorry you lost me... during strikes, cuts it is unforgivable "bad form", so what does that leave when would it ever be (IYE/IYO) good technique???

<<Something about extending ki

J

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/02/06 09:18 AM

Hello Harlan:

Twirling... ok, that too seems common sense. Weapons should not be ~fans~.... nunchaku <shrug>, the kama-weighted chain (Kirigama <sp.?>), the steel whip chain likely excluded I would think...

Would there be a context for APPROPRIATE twirling from the technical perspective... IYO? (ie Bo? Jo? Hanbo? etc.)

J

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/02/06 09:23 AM

Aside from limbering up/exercising: twirling=theatrics

Not talking about flipping, or a sweep/lower block, or 3/4 turns with an overhead block here...but out and out twirling that requires one to take a hand off the bo
Posted by: Ives

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/02/06 01:18 PM

I twirl my bo , but that's for warming-up purpose only. (And defining the balance.)

Run for the door, when you see bringtly coloured gi's (preferably without sleeves). And fancy stuff.

Wait just keep it at fancy stuff. Without any purpose.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/02/06 02:28 PM

One of our kata has overhead twirl, pass behind the back and change hands and strike manouvres. Ushiro Dori, Daisha Mawashi & Tsuki.

Being able to move the bo from one side/part of the body to the other quickly and keep it from being grabbed and bringing it into a strike position is useful. Hence keeping it moving so the end cannot be grabbed.

Parts of other kata have two handed side to side twirling movements [Hachiji Mawashi - figure 8 movement] that are similar in effect to redondo used in FMA stick fighting. They serve to keep the opponent well away until you can line them up to strike them.

Shimabuku has a two handed overhead sweep/twirl targeting the head/neck which would be devastating if it hit....

If we look at Demura's book on the bo we find Ushiro Dori [back grab] and Daisha Mawashi [large circular movement] both of which incorporate single hand movements of the bo twirling around the body. And Harai Uke which is the 2 handed overhead twirl and downward block we see in many kata.

Here endeth the technical bit.

In my book any exercise that brings better handling of a weapon is usually a good thing. It makes the weapon more a part of the practioner and you learn to work with it on a more natural level.

So, go forth and play with your weapons until you know them better!

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/02/06 02:38 PM

I believe that is what Matayoshi used to tell his students as well. 'Go Play.'

Quote:

So, go forth and play with your weapons until you know them better!

Posted by: Reiki

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/02/06 02:40 PM

Its what I tell mine as well!

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/03/06 12:02 AM

Hello Ives:

<<(And defining the balance.)

Not sure I understand your meaning here yet... how would twirling the bo (whatever its particular length) "define" my balance, not sure I comprehend what you mean specifically by the term ~define~???

<<Run for the door, when you see bringtly coloured gi's (preferably without sleeves). And fancy stuff.

Well, there are practitioners of even Japanese ryuha which do not utilize black or white. They may not be satin red, or nuclear-cobalt blue, well ok, no never mind they all have sleeved arms...

Undignified, loud colors ie anything which draws attention deliberately... is that genuinely sufficent to label as clownish, and therefore "bad art"?

Perhaps they are just color blind.. or tired of being dour for the last three decades possibly <grin>???

What kind of ~technical~ "neon lights" (saying anything from clown, baffoon, fool, dangerous bozo, etc. to something more ~generous~... shall we say) would cause you to run quickly to the doors???

Playing devils advocate for a moment some might offer wearing the ~old costumes~ the hakama, the dogi, the obi whatever the particular attire might be... some would offer they are at one level superflous too

Don't think I would agree with that sentiment yet some would still contend that type of thing? Technical signs of "necessary running" are probably far easier. Regardless...

Thoughts?
J
Posted by: Ives

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/03/06 12:49 PM

Hello Ronin1966,

Here's is my personal view. Thanks for your reaction. I gave it a bit longer thought. I think we are on the same side here.

Note to all. Take it with a grain of salt.(Like always.)

Quote:

Not sure I understand your meaning here yet... how would twirling the bo (whatever its particular length) "define" my balance, not sure I comprehend what you mean specifically by the term ~define~???

Maybe I wasn't too clear. (Sorry English isn't my language.)
I ment that when twirling you can feel were your bo holds it's balance. It hasn't alwas be the centre. (Try with some tree branch and have a laugh.)

Quote:

Undignified, loud colors ie anything which draws attention deliberately... is that genuinely sufficent to label as clownish, and therefore "bad art"?

No that doesn't mean "bad art" at all.
Most of the time though it gives an insight in how traditional someone approaches the martial arts. (My personal experiences so far.) I like to do somewhat traditional.

Quote:

Perhaps they are just color blind.. or tired of being dour for the last three decades possibly ???

You could be right. But somehow it look kinda fake and flashy to me. But hey, let everyone decide for them selves, right?

Quote:

What kind of ~technical~ "neon lights" (saying anything from clown, baffoon, fool, dangerous bozo, etc. to something more ~generous~... shall we say) would cause you to run quickly to the doors???

Let me think...
Kiai at every oppertunity, the index-finger-tight-hold of sai.
And the shiny, sparkled, glitter bo...

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/03/06 06:59 PM

Hello Harlan:

I doubt I'll have any trouble ~playing~, yet in my limited experience THEY frequently don't "play nice" in reverse (recalling & surveying the assorted bruises, smashes, gouges he's encountered & a-typically self-inflicted upon himself through practice)

J
Posted by: formless

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/07/06 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I especially like it when the nunchaku twirlers grab one side a few millimeters from the string. lol why do you think there is a whole long stick there?

a neat trick I learned is to watch them twirl it for a half second and then shoot in, grabbing the string, and ripping the nunchaku out of their hands. when they grab so close to the string, the string stays kind of stationary as you swing them.

the closer your grip is to the string the more speed and control you have. the farther away from the string you go will make your hits a bit slower but alot stronger.

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/07/06 12:41 PM

I disagree.

"the closer your grip is to the string the more speed and control you have. the farther away from the string you go will make your hits a bit slower but alot stronger."

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/08/06 09:33 AM

Hello Formless:

In the generic, I wonder how many arts maintain intact a nunchaku practice? In the generic, a-typically it seems obscenely popular with those who want to play with weapons rather than study a weapon art.... no offense intended!

I am not denying the valididy of the flail (ie nunchaku) as a weapon yet purely as a bias factor in the certain "youth" of most who undertake it... <shrug>

Relative to other weapons are there many bonefide nunchaku kata? Guess I'll have to find my Inoue, Taira and Draeger books respectively and see what they list/not...

Jeff

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/08/06 09:54 AM

I look at nunchaku as an introduction to flexible (rope, chain, etc.) weapons...and becoming more familiar with the motion and body dynamics (i.e. kata is not really important).

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/08/06 10:08 AM

Hello Ives:

<<Thanks for your reaction.

As always thank you for your interesting views!!!!

<<(Sorry English isn't my language.)

I would never have known... it is pretty good regardless.

You spoke of finding balance previously... along that line, how do you tell if whomever has done the 100% MANDATORY "safety check" of any, every weapon they will practice with whether their Tonfa, Bo, Sai, Nunchaku, Eku, Kama, sword, etc., etc. or the schools weapon?

What will show us that? COnsider if the pin holding the Japanese katana blade to the handle of that sword is not carefully checked there could be very serious consequences... if the bo is not checked for chipping, cracks and is used... you pick the weapon, what should they be carefully searching to see if the weapon being used will hurt themselves or others due to defect or damage? How does/can someone determine that from the sidelines?

And what of storage? Lent against a wall, in a corner given enough moisture/time will eventually warp the bo... being stored in a rack looks far better, less cluttered, yet also might bend the bo more depending on the humidity factor, wouldn't it???

How does one store weapons in such a manner as to indicate "correct" and serious nature of the practice vs. seeing XYZ in the method of storage of them which should push you to the door as fast as your feet will carry you?!?!

And yes, I too would be very leery of any weapon that was not full weight, spangled, or otherwise adorned regardless of the circus art popularity of doing so. Red tassels are about my "limit" of acceptable.... and I would accept that playfully grudgingly...

Thoughts
J

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/15/06 12:53 PM

Hello Paradoxbox:

So "somber" is the generic necessity... ok.

<<But many mainland Japanese styles feature the index finger pointing off the weapon (except during strikes/cuts, then it's retracted).

If my structure is damaged/broken purely becuase of vulnerability of those extended digits (in that position)... literally how can we hold the weapons???

J
Posted by: Joss

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/15/06 01:37 PM

One school I "ran" from used "bo's" that were 5' mop handles with colored plastic flagging tied to the ends. It's pretty when you twirl it. I'm lying though. This was my first school and it took me a year to leave. I kept believing that our waving the mop handles in local demo's was just the prelude to really learning "something". It wasn't.

An alternative to schools that make you "run" for the door are those that might make you just exit pretty quick.

Telltales: having no practice (kumi) bo's, seeing toothpick bo's, all kata and no sparring play, no weapon contact (not even the lightest sense of kumite excluding even bo/bo and mixed weapon line drills).

My personal opinion is that weapons are just too much fun to play with, to give it all up for some dry as dust pure kata program. Weapons are meant to be played with, just like kids learn to play baseball and softball - throwing it back and forth.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/17/06 12:54 AM

Weapon practice should NOT be labeled as 'PLAY'. Weapons should be respected as WEAPONS that have the potential to seriously hurt the practitioner should he ever not respect it. The second you dont respect a weapon for what it can do, you get hurt. You wouldnt let kids play with loaded guns would you? And yes Traditional weapons kata are not dusty relics. They are just a profound and full of knowledge as any empty hand kata if you take the time to study them.

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/17/06 08:46 AM

Sorry if I struck a nerve Chatan. I do not disagree with anything you said. I suspect we simply have different perspectives.

If the word "play" is offensive, substitute "use with thorough enjoyment in a safe and controlled manner".

Additionally, I criticized programs that ONLY do kata, not the kata themselves. Kata without kumite is nonsense, like playing baseball with no ball.

I am extremely fortunate to be in a small (four person) dojo of mature (older) adults who have curiosity and skill, but almost no egos. Our sparring is spirited but controlled and always a pleasure. We often consider it play. This unique situation probably leaves me ignorant of the challenges that children, teens and immature adults create with weapons.

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/17/06 09:43 AM

Ah okay i see where you were going then. It sounds like we come from Similar kobudo schools then. We work about 40 traditional kobujutsu kata. We do kumite, and kitachi as well as breaking down the kata with bunkai and applications. I apologize if i came on too strong. I do agree with your statement about only doing kata. Its always entertaining to see someone who only does kata and thinks that they are competent with the weapon until they actually make contact with another weapon in kumite, and the weapon flies out of their hands. tameshirwari and tameshirgiri are absolutely necessary to understanding traditional weapons.

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/17/06 12:49 PM

"It's always entertaining to see someone who only does kata and thinks that they are competent with the weapon until they actually make contact with another weapon in kumite, and the weapon flies out of their hands."

Yes, exactly so. Thank you for your patience with me.

I study Ryukyu Hon Kenpo-Kobujutsu, in a remote outpost of the Kriegish organization. Our local teacher is sincerely jutsu oriented so we spend much time on bunkai and kumite, as well as kata.

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/17/06 04:41 PM

HelloChatan1979:

<<We work about 40 traditional kobujutsu kata.

Wow....

In some respects for ME, that too could, could mind you be a potential ~warning bell~. Too many kata... could be nutricious "succatash" or might just be junk food... ahhh how to tell?!?!? (Point of personal interest, what the blazes does your arts syllibus look like???? X Bo, X Sai, X Kama, X Tonfa, X Oar, etc. how does that break out???)

<< kitachi tameshirwari and tameshirgiri

<SIGH> My meager Japanese has its limits I fear.... these terms mean what again???

J

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/17/06 04:44 PM

Hello Again Chatan1979:

As a personal matter, and I realize its solely my bias/impression, I am VERY, very leery for example of anyplace which teaches the Japanese katana (whether kenjutsu or iaido, or ???). And while any dojo would be relatively easy to track down in terms of its lineage being a bone-fide ryuha, qualified instructors etc., I have meaningful doubts of anybody simply opening up a store front ~in town~ and simply hanging out a shingle teaching I don't know... an Itten or Shinkage lineage instructor? I am sure you get my gist....

Doing so would fly in the face of everything I've ever read/understood in terms of arts and heritage of the professional Japanese warriors. I am cognizant that Iaido is a different creature than kenjutsu in some respects, but a place where weapons instruction is centered around a katana would, (perhaps could is a better way to phrase it...) be a huge potential warning sign...

Am I in error in this very generic perception????

J

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/17/06 05:48 PM

The system of Kobujutsu i study is called Nintai Fukutsu ryu Kobujutsu. The idea behind all the kata is that we are preserving these kata for research. The curriculum is very dificult. BUt on average its about 3 kata per rank. By shodan you are comepetent in about 25 or so.
I do about 25 of the kata myself but really only focus on a few for pure kata study (i.e bunkai, zanshin, oyo, kakushi, etc). Like I said the study of so many kata is in order to preserve them for further study.
At white belt you start learning bo and one kata
at yellow, you learn a second bo form and pick up sai and one sai kata,
orange belt is bo, sai, and starting nunchaku,
green is bo, sai, nunchaku, tonfa,
blue we start kama
we have 3 degrees of brown belt in which we pick up a few more kata for the above mentioned weapons, and also start studying Eku, nuntie, and Tekko.
The higher dan ranks are reserved for studying such weapons as rochin and tinbe, Kusurigama, and surichin.

I dont want all the kata to make it sound like we just race through the motions in order to get the next rank. on average it takes about 7 or more years to get to shodan. So the student is spending time learning not only kata, but the anatomy of combat, kumite, bunkai, proper weapon handling, distancing, timing, strategies of combat I.e go no sen, sen no sne, tai no sen, and their tactics such as Suriage waza, katsugi waza, harai waza and etc.
It is a very very thorough study of weapons. The system itself blends Matayoshi and Ryukyu kobudo. So one of the otehr reasons for so many kata is that we do kata from both systems. I would be happy to post the link to our site, however it is currently unavailable. My sensei is trying to preserve ryukyu kobudo kata in a similar fashion as Shinken Taira Sensei. I am always happey to answer any questions.

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/17/06 05:50 PM

Quote:

"It's always entertaining to see someone who only does kata and thinks that they are competent with the weapon until they actually make contact with another weapon in kumite, and the weapon flies out of their hands."

Yes, exactly so. Thank you for your patience with me.

I study Ryukyu Hon Kenpo-Kobujutsu, in a remote outpost of the Kriegish organization. Our local teacher is sincerely jutsu oriented so we spend much time on bunkai and kumite, as well as kata.

I have good friends who live in Savanah. I visit them about once a year. Could you give me some more info about your school? im always interested in observing other systems, especially with regard to weapons training.

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/17/06 09:19 PM

Chatan, I replied by PM.

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/18/06 06:46 PM

Hello Chatan1979

25 kata.... I am in genuine awe of a syllibus which can boast of 25 kata (ie direct koryu material). Kind of like ...Shitoryu Karatedo (sic. -Te) syllibus on "speed"!I am choking & overwhelmed with the "measley" 9 empty handed and the 6 kobudo kata to which I have known access...

25 would quite literally

<<preserve them for further study.

How can you literally maintian them without being a full time teacher given how many you possess??? Its is hard to conceive that many not driving one insane... especially if they were relatively recent Okinawan "kobudo" kata. Some of the ~elder~ Japanese weapons kata, I might be able to conceive as many I imagine would be literally a few moves in their entirity....

<<it takes about 7 or more years to get to shodan.

How many are able to endure that length of time training?

<<I would be happy to post the link to our site

When available, please do so... look forward to looking it all up.... would the days were longer and my retention skills were longer still...

J

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/19/06 07:58 AM

Please dont confuse Okinawan kobudo kata with japanese koryu. They are not the same thing. While some of the kata that I study do go back a few hundred or more years, they are not considered koryu. As far as you question as to how we maintain so many kata, we keep records, videos, journals and we practice ALOT!
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/19/06 09:04 PM

So if I do handsprings, cartwheels, and flips while holding a bo in each hand I'm doing something wrong?

What if I do this while holding my chucka sticks ? >>

<GROAN>
Posted by: Borrek

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/19/06 10:19 PM

Quote:

What if I do this while holding my chucka sticks ? >>

lol the forecast calls for 100% chance of XMA trophies

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/27/06 09:57 AM

Hello Chatan1979:

<<Please dont confuse Okinawan kobudo kata with japanese koryu. They are not the same thing.

My apologies, it is what happens when I use foreign terminology, I should know better!!! The koryu arts being exclusively the arts of professional Japanese soldiers (ie Samurai) prior to what the Meiji era? Kobudo kata would one assumes be the "civilian" version indiginous to the Ryukyu islands, correct? In short far less metal all around though no less lethal weaponry?

J

Re: RUN for the door....... - 02/27/06 10:01 AM

Hello Borreck:

Wonderful reminder thank you.... TROPHIES. A screen of trophies in the front window being an excellent neon sign to escape that locale at all costs... As for ~Extreme Martial Arts "Trophies"~... aren't those the body parts of your fallen opponents

J

Re: RUN for the door....... - 03/02/06 09:55 AM

There is japanese Kobudo and Okinawan Kobudo. For the most part you are correct. Japanses Kobudo focuses more on weapons such as Yari(spear)Kusurigama and a few other more samurai related weapons, whereas Ryukyu or Okinawan kobudo tends to focus more on the peasant weaponry or farming /fishing implements

Re: RUN for the door....... - 03/18/06 10:54 AM

What would indicate "bad news" (ie run) for some of the "sharper" weapons? Kama being the particular weapon I envisioned but knives, sharpened jutte, short swords, surely would ~fit the bill~ as well.

Hoping to borrow the eyes/warning-signals from those with far more experience, training with these assorted weapons....thank you in advance.

J
Posted by: Derik

Re: RUN for the door....... - 03/19/06 10:20 PM

when you throw one escirma stick up in the air do some gay move then hopefully catch the second one..
Posted by: JoelM

Re: RUN for the door....... - 03/20/06 12:26 AM

Quote:

when you throw one escirma stick up in the air do some gay move then hopefully catch the second one..

Is it ok to do a heterosexual move then?

Where does the first stick go? You throw up one and catch the second....Are you juggling with another person?

Re: RUN for the door....... - 03/20/06 11:40 AM

It was bad enough when he said it did you really need to follow-up encouraging him??? Behave please gentlemen... please...

J