Using a book

Posted by: Ives

Using a book - 01/12/06 11:55 AM

Okay okay, I confess:
...I use a book on my kobudo journey...

But hey, give me a break, I also make notes.
As I am studing kobudo I try to learn step by step. I found it hard to remember techniques, since I only have kobudoclass once a week. I also study at university, so sometimes I just have a hard time to concentrate on all those those differrent things.

So I started to take notes after class. What did we do and to what should I pay more attention to.
Recently I found a book on the kobudo system I study. It helps me on days that I don't have training. I can look up what techniques follows-up the next etc.
I find it very usefull. My sensei says I'm improving quite fast.
But it wouldn't have work without my regular kobudoclasses. So I see using a book, or article only as COMPLEMENTARY to regular training. And that's what I think everybody should do.
Not reaching for books, but only if they do, do it as a complementery learning aid.
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Using a book - 01/13/06 06:06 AM

I concur. Books are good, and made of trees, like a staff. And you can hit people with them. I recommend encyclopaediae, as they have a sizeable mass.

I don't see why a book shouldn't be used purely as a learning aid if proper instruction is also given. We read books on the theories of stretching and strengthening, so why not technique?
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Using a book - 01/13/06 05:13 PM

I agree completely with you, books are a great thing to use to *complement training in the dojo*.

The trouble is that so many people seem to think that they can learn technique from scratch from the books or videos and never set foot in a dojo. All these things are great aides to our regular learning however new students are always best to start their martial journey with a good instructor.