Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone?

Posted by: DanielArola

Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/07/05 05:33 AM

What's happening everyone!
Are there any Filipino MA players in here?

Daniel Arola
Posted by: gojuwarrior

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/07/05 07:16 AM

Welcome.In my dojo we practice filipino arnis.My sensei is certified by Dr. Remy Presas Jr. and Dr. Wilfredo Matias.I dont have alot of training in it yet,but i am learning slowly.

http://www.modernbujutsu.com/DSCN8156.JPG
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/07/05 01:15 PM

yes...
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/07/05 11:23 PM

Iused to & still get some practice in but no one wants to play (I can't imagine why)

BTW: are you affiliated w/ Balintawak?

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/10/05 06:45 AM

Quote:

BTW: are you affiliated w/ Balintawak?

No I am not affiliated with Balintawak, but from what I have already seen on video, I like alot.

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/10/05 06:47 AM

DAMAG INC Filipino fighting arts promotional video trailer.
http://media.putfile.com/Daniel-Arola-MA-videopromo1

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/10/05 08:21 PM

Mabuhay...

Nice video. Are there a lot of Filipinos in N.C.? There are qute a fwe in So. Calif. but there isn't a school in my area. Good to see more FMA.

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/12/05 06:59 AM

Quote:

Mabuhay...

Nice video. Are there a lot of Filipinos in N.C.? There are qute a fwe in So. Calif. but there isn't a school in my area. Good to see more FMA.

I have met some and I do know that there are many Filipinos throughout the state, but I can't imagine there would be as many Filipinos as half of what Cali has. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Thanks!

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/13/05 05:22 AM

http://media.putfile.com/DAMAG-INC11-07-05livesticksparringbreakdown-Dan-v-Marc

The link pasted above is a video file of myself and US Army Capt. Marc E. in a live (unpadded) rattan singlestick sparring match in class.

Click it and dig it!

Daniel Arola
Fayetteville, North Carolina USA
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DAMAG_Kali_Stickfighting

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/15/05 01:00 AM

Just curious...

Who did you train under?

Are you originally from da Phils or US?

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 12/19/05 04:12 AM

Quote:

Just curious...
Who did you train under?
Are you originally from da Phils or US?

I trained with GM Arsenio Anastascio in 1982 while growing up in the Northern PI in the Ilocos provinces.
In the US beginning in 1993 I met and trained under Guro Tim Mousel of http://defend.net in Houston, Texas.

I grew up in both countries and permanently reside in the US.
Posted by: mike-a

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 01/26/06 08:44 PM

GM Bobby Taboada of Balintawak is in Charlotte, NC.

I thoroughly recommend having a look.

I've included Balintawak in my training for several years now. Very fast, powerful style that is excellent for closer range fighting.
Posted by: neofighter

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 01/27/06 03:22 PM

I wana know who prefers single stick to double stick or the other way around?
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 02/01/06 02:04 AM

I have a pair, but right after I bought I was out of class for a while due to a chronic ingrown toenail problem(ouch.) By the time I came back we switched to the bo. And I've having trouble with that too.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 02/01/06 02:45 PM

Please remember that using sticks or bo takes time to master and don't be impatient to do "fancy stuff". Get the basics down well and practice those until you can do it easily without looking or thinking about what you are doing.

Sticks and bo are some of my favourite weapons [alright I actually LOVE all weapons work but I particularly enjoy bo and sticks] and when you are using them you properly should start to get the feeling that they are part of your body and they just flow with your movement.

Constantly play with your bo and sticks, get used to the feel of them as you move them around and perform different strikes and blocks etc. Expect to spent years working with these weapons to get it right.

I was teaching a student a bo kata the other night, he was totally bemused as I put my bo up over my head and walked around the dojo spinning it overhead in the fingers of one hand like a helicopter blade and talking to him while he was doing his kata. He couldn't work out how I knew where it was and could still focus on what he was doing and instruct him at the same time .....
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Filipino Martial Arts - Stickfighting anyone? - 02/28/06 10:29 PM

Kinda late here. But yeah, I'm an escrima guy and love it.