BO

Posted by: WishesToLearn

BO - 11/27/05 10:51 PM

Okay im brand new at this and i"ve never posted before i've alway liked m,akeing staffs such as walkign staves and shorter types but i've jsut gotten really interested in the BO but im ahvign a devil of a time trying to find out how to amke one ...and i can't seem to find anyone who actully know what there talkign about when it comes to useign oen any suggestions please be kind
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: BO - 11/28/05 12:16 AM

Making an actually useful Bo is very difficult with some materials, a practice Bo for building strength and what not can be a Rattan Staff, I've used them in the past....

The problem with using hardwoods, is the fact that you have to either grind down, chisel down or carve down a single staff. (I've heard different height lengths from different practitioners, I prefer a staff that is about eye level for Actual competition, but for actual weapons sparring/drills I prefer one that is slightly over my head for a bit of extra length (for finger protection) so... tailor it to how you want.)

If you want to find out how to treat the wood, get a book on wood conditioning. You'll need some money though, its not a cheap endevor to make a strong hardwood bo. Some require heating, all require oil of some sort. Its a pain in the butt. I've tried it.. But... Unfortunately I failed I made a Bo, but you can ask Bushi_No_Ki about what happened to it...

(It ended up snapping at a tournament that we both happened to be at. I over conditioned it a little... Heh.)