why is the proliferation.....

Posted by: chakuy

why is the proliferation..... - 11/12/05 06:00 AM

This is has nothing to do with marital arts weapons its just an research I have to do for my school if anyone could help??

The Q is:: why is the proliferation of arms hard to stop?

Any ideas??

thanks
Posted by: chakuy

Re: why is the proliferation..... - 11/12/05 11:12 AM

i posted this like 8 hours ago and still no answer!!! this is a new record..
for those who didn’t understand the Q:: why its hard to stop countries form creating new weapons??

anyways my Opinion is that because small nations like the growing countries are making new weapons, therefore modern countries make new weapons better than the growing countries just to be safe for them…. And the cycle goes on

Im sure there are some few opinions better than mine so please post them~~!!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: why is the proliferation..... - 11/12/05 11:32 AM

Replies to these kinds of questions are difficult.....and obvious at the same time. Human motivations often center around base instincts for wealth, power or sexual gratification.

More or better weapons can aid in the accumulation of any of those facets. This goes on from the scale of one-on-one to country-to-country. Not to mention that some economies are practically based on supplying weapons to other states - thus they have little incentive to limit production or availability.

But sadly, this is hardly a new phenemenon.
Posted by: trevek

Re: why is the proliferation..... - 11/13/05 11:25 AM

Chakuy, it's a bit like why we keep making bigger and better cars. In one case it is because we want the new improved performance, the other is to keep the money rolling in.

There's also the possibility that different weapons suit different jobs and different people and so being able to offer a variety is both useful and profitable.

I suppose there is also the changing style of warfare. In the old days it was thought the best way to beat the enemy was to kill as many as you could. Now there is the economic angle to consider; kill one and he is replaced by one: wound one and it takes two to look after him and another to replace him.

Coupled with this is the psychological impact of different styles of weaponry.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: why is the proliferation..... - 11/13/05 12:56 PM

Quote:

i posted this like 8 hours ago and still no answer!!! this is a new record..

some of us have been busy doing MA stick fighting seminars...

creating the new new thing seems to be an ongoing way of one-up-manship