kobudo manufacturers

Posted by: chickenchaser

kobudo manufacturers - 11/05/05 02:35 PM

I was wondering which manufacturers have the best weapons for things like yakusoko kumite. because i "had" what i thought was a nice bo and was doing a yakusoko kumite and it splintered into little pieces. what i was wondering was are there good manufacturers or just good materials,such as rattan,oak,white wood etc.?
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 11/05/05 06:26 PM

My only experience was w/ Shureido (from Okinawa) - very good quality.

Another member recommends Crane Mountain in New Mexico. (read another thread for more info)

Poor quality weapons are dangerous unless they're only for display. I don't ubderstand why some people display their good weapons ("I paid a lot of money for it") & use the poor quality weapons ("My eye...there's a piece of wood in my eye...call 911").
Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 11/16/05 12:53 AM

white wax wood is an excellent material if you can find it. Cold Steel has a nice Wax Wood staff for sale but this is a piece of wood, not a turned Bo staff. Cold Steel also has a great bokken for sale, it is of a nylon and will go through almost every boken I have seen. Bujin also makes good bokens. If you are looking for certian equipment get in touch and I can recomend a good supplier.
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 11/21/05 04:51 PM

Weapon quality is a combination of materials and construction. Fine exotic hardwood can turn in to a pathetic weapon if it is just spit out of a machine. And cheap domestic wood can make a fine weapon if it is crafted with care. Check out www.crane-mountain.com (as hedkikr mentioned), and the website will guide you as to which woods are better for what type of training. Crane Mountain and Shureido make the best weapons on the consumer market in my opinion.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 11/22/05 07:42 AM

for UK people, you may wish to try

www.reimondo.co.uk

top quality hand built weaponry, highly recomended
Posted by: Reiki

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 11/22/05 12:52 PM

You definitely get what you pay for. Buy only the best materials and you'll never regret it.
Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 11/26/05 02:27 PM

If you can contact Charles Garrett, who was a student of Hohan Soken for a few years, he hand makes Tuifa and perhaps some other weapons in the traditional way. His site is at http://www.matsumuraseitohozonkai.com/ if you would like to question him about his weapons.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 11/26/05 04:35 PM

cool link Paul, thank-you!
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 02/01/06 11:06 PM

Hello hedkikr:

Do you have access to a supplier of their Sai (I assume) in the states ??? I've heard about the quality of their materials for years, and years but cannot bring myself to pay that kind of money... solely for import taxes

J

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 02/01/06 11:07 PM

Hello Mr. Hart:

Does White Wax Wood also go by another name too ????

J
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 02/03/06 01:37 AM

Try Ed Martin's Pennsylvania Bujinkan Dojo. If you don't mind a bo that isn't tapered, it's an extremely nice bo. You'll have to sand off the logo he's burned into it (or ask him to send you one without the logo) because it's a kanji that says 'bujinkan'. Other than that, this thing can really take abuse.

I pole vault off of mine even, and it stands up just fine.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 02/03/06 01:45 AM

Yes. The US distributer for Shureido is a friend of mine & has his warehouse a few miles from my home. I'm not familiar w/ the Sai prices but you canget either chrome or un-chrome (a dark gray). I see them displayed & they (dark) look great - everybody has chrome, right?

any other questions...?
Posted by: pj_br549

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 02/03/06 11:28 AM

If your doing yakusoku drills buy a Rattan bo! there 30 dollars most places and will not break,, dont spend big bucks on a weapon your going to clash with. Allot of bo bags are designed for two bos,, good because you should have a yakusoku bo and a kata bo. Also I have Crain Mountian Eiku,, there beautiful and I doubt you will find a better made weapon but it will take time to get and it will cost you a good deal of money I think I paid a little over 200 for my Eiku and its made from bubinga wood. Also our stystem of Karate has its own brand of weapons you might want to give them a try,, they specilize in purple heart wood hence the name Murasaki (purple) Kobodo. Beautiful well made weapons.

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 02/03/06 07:06 PM

Hello CC:

<<for things like yakusoko kumite.

Which means what in English?

<<because i "had" what i thought was a nice bo and was doing a yakusoko kumite and it splintered into little pieces.

That is why every single book ever written by intelligent skilled practitioners demands you examine your weapon whatever it might be VERY, very carefully before you work with it. Things splinter, pins break, fractures develop... checking very, very carefully is mandatory!!!!

I have a supplier for hickory in assorted lengths... looking forward to hearing where others acquire theirs. My supplier has absolutely no clue what I use my orders for... and its far better they do not. They are simply happy to send the order once I place them... provided I have no questions concerning its usage, they are an excellent supplier....

Jeff
Posted by: pj_br549

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 02/14/06 08:06 AM

<<for things like yakusoko kumite.

Which means what in English?

>>>>>>>>Promised fighting, or prearanged fighting. Just another word for two person drill.
Posted by: watabugwa

Re: kobudo manufacturers - 02/14/06 12:27 PM

I just got this link from a friend who has been training for over 20 years....He just got a bo, tuifa(tunfa/tonfa), tanbo and a set of nunchaku from this sensei in Michigan...Prices are right on and I have seen these weapons...OUTSTANDING!!!!!
www.fightingweaponry.com

Re: SAI -kobudo manufacturers - 03/05/06 12:42 AM

Who makes good quality Sai; which can withstand training usage? Several companies claim to hand make "good" sai but I can claim to own a bridge too! Very, very small niche market, is there a decent baseline of/for affordable Sai? Unable to tell "what's what" solely by virtue of someones advertising...

J

J
Posted by: watabugwa

Re: SAI -kobudo manufacturers - 03/06/06 10:44 AM

Peter carbone makes great sai in Michigan. www.weaponsconnection.com custom to your arm and hand. Pricey but really high quality.

Quote:

Who makes good quality Sai; which can withstand training usage? Several companies claim to hand make "good" sai but I can claim to own a bridge too! Very, very small niche market, is there a decent baseline of/for affordable Sai? Unable to tell "what's what" solely by virtue of someones advertising...

J

J

Re: SAI -kobudo manufacturers - 03/12/06 02:02 PM

Hello Watabugwa:

Know of the gentleman's work... and indeed found it excessively pricey . Some of the claims re: the "energy sai" he makes seem pretty odd too.

Anyone else know of other good sai makers?
J