Practical Application

Posted by: Dudley32

Practical Application - 10/25/05 10:04 PM

Hi! im kinda new to postin so here it goes. i have goin on 9 years of tkd,judo,hapkido mix. but we never do weapons. my instructor does not feel them practical or necessary. i was just wonderin if you guys could kinda give me some practical applications to some weapons. ty
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Practical Application - 10/26/05 08:36 AM

try looking into yawara-bo or kubaton. there are some members here who use them for self defense.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Practical Application - 10/27/05 06:52 PM

I don't understand your question ("practical applications to some weapons")

Posted by: SwordsmanAJ

Re: Practical Application - 10/28/05 01:36 PM

If you mean can you practicaly use ancient weapons outside of practice and sparing then i have to say sorry but most of these weapons just aren't practical as tools to do harm or kill anyone in this day and age.

Re: Practical Application - 10/28/05 05:05 PM

just how you can use say a katana now a days. what could those techniques be applied to
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Practical Application - 10/29/05 05:28 PM

Quote:

just how you can use say a katana now a days. what could those techniques be applied to

thats the whole point of it.

you don't apply the techniques - they are irrelevant to the modern day world.

your never going to use a katana unless you're basically insane, the only way to use a tonfa is to join the police, the only way to use a bo/jo is using a broom handle to attck someone and the only way to use sai would be to dress up as one of the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

its what you take from the training spiritually and physicially that counts.

(and the teenage ninja turtles comment applys to all the weapons i mentioned. . . apart form the tonfa)
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Practical Application - 10/29/05 10:12 PM

I used a katana to defend my home earlier this month from an invader.

The movements of a katana could be applied to any long stick or long flat object (fairly common to find). 2 by 4's, metal siding, etc. Baseball bats, golf clubs, etc. Those things lack the kind of shape to be used as a bo but could be thrust into the role of sword without much effort.

Small hand weapons are excellent to train in. Pens can be found everywhere.

Re: Practical Application - 10/29/05 11:33 PM

Quote:

I used a katana to defend my home earlier this month from an invader.

The movements of a katana could be applied to any long stick or long flat object (fairly common to find). 2 by 4's, metal siding, etc. Baseball bats, golf clubs, etc. Those things lack the kind of shape to be used as a bo but could be thrust into the role of sword without much effort.

Small hand weapons are excellent to train in. Pens can be found everywhere.

yeah i read that. that wuz amazin how you did that. i see your guyses point. to tell the truth i would like to learn katana as kind of a side project. but there is no schools in my area that teach like iato or somethin. oh well, just means i can put all the more time into tkd