You CANNOT learn from a book, DVD or the web

Posted by: Reiki

You CANNOT learn from a book, DVD or the web - 10/17/05 08:54 PM

PLEASE READ THIS NOW!

Yes I mean YOU!

Before you post in here asking for links to "xyz site" to learn sai kata or bo kata or any other sort of weapons stuff you need to realise that none of these things can be learnt effectively without a proper instructor.

It takes 5-10 times longer to unlearn incorrect technique that you pick up in your bookworm/DVD quest which an experienced instructor could help you fix within 5 minutes.

So DON'T ask for links for kata here unless you are already learning correct technique in a dojo with a decent instructor.

I for one am getting heartily sick of all these wannabes that can't or won't commit to serious training but who want to play around with bo or sai or jo or tonfa or nunchaku [yes that's the correct spelling kiddies, read it again "NUNCHAKU" ].

Thankyou for your attention class.
Posted by: chakuy

Re: You CANNOT learn from a book, DVD or the web - 10/23/05 02:50 PM

hay were not in the street here plez watch ur lang!!! thank you..
in my experince DVDs can be very useful!!! i learnt Chakus form a Serice of DVDs called ( Nunchaku Stances Techniques Drills by sensei Chuck Hansen) after that i went to a chines instructor who teaches the style of kung fu... took 2 lessons and then he told me that i masterd the weapon!!

by that i saved mony and time by going to dojos
i recomend this DVD you can find it on yahoo shopping or try [deleted to prevent abuse]

this is not up for discussion.

2 lessons in weapons handling does not make a master especially if the stuff you learnt originally came from a DVD.

DVDs can be very useful as coasters.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: You CANNOT learn from a book, DVD or the web - 10/23/05 10:39 PM

Quote:

i learnt Chakus form a Serice of DVDs called ( Nunchaku Stances Techniques Drills by sensei Chuck Hansen) after that i went to a chines instructor who teaches the style of kung fu... took 2 lessons and then he told me that i masterd the weapon!!

PFFFTT!!!
HAHAHAHA
Posted by: eyrie

Re: You CANNOT learn from a book, DVD or the web - 10/24/05 12:20 AM

I learnt how to do DIY at home brain surgery out of a series of DVDs and a book. I only read the first 2 chapters and was talking to my local GP the other day, and he said "Wow! You're a doctor now....? Can I recommend you a good lawyer? He studied law from a DIY set of DVDs and he saved a bucket load of dosh by buying his law degree over the internet, instead of wasting it by going to law school. But don't worry, he's a good lawyer...."

LOL @ eyrie!
Posted by: laf7773

Re: You CANNOT learn from a book, DVD or the web - 10/24/05 12:38 AM

Yeah well there is a huge difference in practicing law and spinning a chunk of wood around my body at skull cracking speed. It's like comparing oranges and tangerines.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: You CANNOT learn from a book, DVD or the web - 10/24/05 11:26 PM

This thread wasn't meant for discussion, it was so that newbies could understand where most of us were coming from about getting correct instruction.

I am going to lock it now to prevent any further stupid posts by chakuy.