Sai Techniques

Posted by: LuminousAngel

Sai Techniques - 09/28/05 04:18 PM

Hi, I just got myself some practice sais yesterday and I was wanting to know if there are any online sites that teach you the basics on how to use it properly and also how to twirl (the fun part)?
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Sai Techniques - 09/28/05 04:29 PM

This is why you join a MA club and get your instructor to show you how to use them. You cant learn this stuff over the internet or from a book.
Posted by: Meanstreak

Re: Sai Techniques - 09/29/05 06:20 AM

I know there will always be people who are too lazy to read the posts - or just assume that itll be easy to learn off the net.

Though what is it about the sai that attracts these people? Almost every "what site for self learning" kid is asking about the sai.

Strange.
Posted by: Malefacus

Re: Sai Techniques - 09/29/05 09:29 AM

Hello LuminousAngel
It's hard to find such thing on the net. There is an old thread about mpeg kata downlaod but the site (goju-ryu) seem dead by now. You can try the link. Are you familiar with any martial arts? If so, you'll know that patience and hard work is the only way to mastering. I know, you just want to explore and have some fun. That's fine to me. If you tipe sai techniques on google and check every link you'll probably find some diagram and pictures that could give you some tips on how to twirl as you say. Anyways, welcome to this sometime hostile wolrd.
Posted by: 1961

Re: Sai Techniques - 10/04/05 11:46 AM

Hi.
It is too serious !!!
Please, note - REAL DAMAGE.

Why http://gojo-ryu.info is dead. It's OK. But there is no fine sai kata on this really famous service.

Br.
Posted by: UmYang

Re: Sai Techniques - 10/07/05 11:35 PM

well keep in mind it isnt easy to find or afford lessons in sai. plus most dojo/dojhang ect. wont teach lessons in weapons until you are a deputy belt and most people need something interesting to keep them learning.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Sai Techniques - 10/08/05 03:17 AM

Again...the "expert" speaks...& what the heck is a "deputy belt"? Are you from a [censored]?

Sai aren't toys. You just don't watch "Electra", "Daredevil" or "Scorpion King" & decide. You'll drop your sai a lot so don't practice on nice hardwood floors or tournament-style mats.

First get your basics down, say @ least 2-3 years of a solid MA (Karate, Kung Fu) before you try Sai. And above all, don't spar or play-fight w/ another enthusiast. Get lessons, listen to your instructor, practice under guidance.

owari

Re: Sai Techniques - 10/17/05 04:50 PM

Hey

Drop the sai, get the pistol and do not warm your brain...

You may practice sai if you want. You MAY... The life is too short. Think about them, read about them, live with them, understand them, get it's history ets. And get A LOT OF karate practice. Nice way!
Fine sai, fine karateka, fine man...

Br
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Sai Techniques - 10/17/05 08:42 PM

Quote:

Hey

Drop the sai, get the pistol and do not warm your brain...

You may practice sai if you want. You MAY... The life is too short. Think about them, read about them, live with them, understand them, get it's history ets. And get A LOT OF karate practice. Nice way!
Fine sai, fine karateka, fine man...

Br

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt this time as English obviously isn't your first language.

I'm watching you though...

Re: Sai Techniques - 10/24/05 03:52 PM

Hi.

Now i can't understand. What is too serious? Simple joke?
I must go away? Really?
Ok. If YOU want...

Best regards.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Sai Techniques - 10/25/05 03:16 PM

...having a personal conversation w/ yourself on the forum???
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Sai Techniques - 10/25/05 03:24 PM

LuminousAngel,

"To know something means having experienced it concretely. A cookbook will not take away your hunger." -Takuan

Food for thought.

Z
Posted by: Paranormalma

Re: Sai Techniques - 10/25/05 09:46 PM

Well, you really find instruction if you plan on practicing ANYTHING. But I know from experience that these posts won't deter you, and I know that SOME things can be learned before you find a good instructor (basics, conditioning, falls, etc.). However, no matter how much reading material/videos/sites/other media you have to go through, eventually you'll be lost without a good teacher. You'll have a mass of techniques that you are partially sure will work for you, and they'll have been thrown together haphazardly.

Weapons training is one thing that first takes a solid understanding of hand and body movements (regardless of style). So if you're not capable there, you'll never get far with weapons...except maybe to the emergency room. So do yourself a favor, if you're serious about training-find good instruction, face to face.

If you're still going to practice the sai on your own, theres nothing we can do to stop you. The least I can do is make sure you at least get reputable; solid information. Your best bet for Sai, or practically any Okinawan weapon, is to do a search for Fumio Demura. He's a real master...anything from him should be of the highest quality.

Good luck.