bruce lee and his nunchaku

Posted by: TwistingKick

bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/20/05 08:58 AM

hey all

just wonderin if anyone knows where bruce lee learnt to use nunchaku, as they are not used in wing chun i figure he must have self taught himself(??). ne1 have any info on this??

cheerz
Posted by: webby

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/20/05 11:32 AM

hi...i am a ver big fan of bruce lees!! bruce lee didnt just learn wing chun!! he studied alot of martial arts..and his teacher wasent just a wing chun teacher he also studied alot of martial arts!! so his teacher proberly taught him!!!
not sure!

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/20/05 12:41 PM

i knew bruce lee studied lots of other arts but i thought his teacher was yip man?? i thought he was solely a wing chun teacher, maybe i am wrong??

was just wondering because he was so good at using nunchaku i figured the person who taught him to use them would be quite well known but i cannot find info in any of his books!!

neway, thanx for the reply
Posted by: trevek

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/20/05 01:48 PM

Bruce Lee knocked around with a lot of MA guys in US, such as Jhoon Rhee, Chuck Norris et al. He studied a number of different things, hence JKD.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/20/05 02:33 PM

bruce lee was taught by yip man who knew bruces father after bruce was beaten in a petty school gang fight. he never finished the training learning only 2/3s of the sticking hands. he went back to later to yip man to finish his training.

any nunchucka... he was introduced to them by probably his best known student (and probably the main reason we have jkd) dan inosanato who had lots of experience in kali and with other weapons. it was probably inosanto who trained lee in them but lee naturally surpassed most of his teachers quickley.

buy bruce lee: fighting spirit for any info on his life.

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/20/05 04:36 PM

ok, thankyou very much for the post

i always thought lee taught inosanto to use nunchaku (dont ask me why ) i can now sleep at night knowing the truth
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/20/05 10:12 PM

I heard that it was Fumio Demura who taught him to use them. However bruce by no means mastered them, but rather was taught a few tricks by Demura so he could use them in his movies.
Posted by: Marz

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/21/05 02:05 AM

I remember reading in an old Black Belt magazine article that Dan Inosanto taught him to use them. Take it for what it's worth.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/21/05 02:12 AM

Bruce Lee never learned how to use Nunchaku. He knew what looked on film & learned a few tricks. I understand that he was introduced to the weapon by Fumio Demura. Dan Inosanto taught him some Escrima.

BTW: the nunchaku he uses have chain that are Waaaaay too long.

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/21/05 04:24 AM

Quote:

BTW: the nunchaku he uses have chain that are Waaaaay too long.

Glad someone else noticed this, i certainly cant put mine round my neck like he does in "game of death" (??)
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/21/05 09:20 AM

They're also a fair bit lighter for extra speed (and less pain when hit lol!)
Posted by: MAGr

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/22/05 09:12 AM

Bruce learn mainly from Cheung, rather than Yip Man.
He only knew the one of the three empty hand forms, the wooden dummy form (but not the fresh air one), he did some sticky hands. He didnt do the emergency form which teaches you recovery and the sword form which is for power development and chi.
Not dissing him (for all you BL lovers) just saying that he didnt learn even half of the WC syllabus.
Posted by: trevek

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/22/05 12:15 PM

However, according to Cheung, Lee was a very good dancer. He reckoned that they both did the cha cha and it helped with their footwork. Maybe swing helped with nunchakus?
Posted by: kempo_student

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/26/05 06:33 AM

I have heard a lot of strangeries about how Bruce Lee learnd to use the nunchaku...
Nunchaku come from okinawa, it's an okinawan traditional weapon, this is sure...
Now we have to understand who brought the nunchaku from okinawa to U.S., the answer is George Dillman. This is history, not the mine opinion. George Dillman teached personally the use of nunchaku to Bruce Lee in one of the their many exchanges of knowledge. The nunchaku was unknown in the world outside okinawa before George Dillman. George Dillman Have also the bests instructional videos on nunchaku, you can find these at www.dillman.com

Bye bye
Daniele Nosella
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/26/05 09:50 PM

Quote:

I have heard a lot of strangeries about how Bruce Lee learnd to use the nunchaku...
Nunchaku come from okinawa, it's an okinawan traditional weapon, this is sure...
Now we have to understand who brought the nunchaku from okinawa to U.S., the answer is George Dillman. This is history, not the mine opinion. George Dillman teached personally the use of nunchaku to Bruce Lee in one of the their many exchanges of knowledge. The nunchaku was unknown in the world outside okinawa before George Dillman. George Dillman Have also the bests instructional videos on nunchaku, you can find these at www.dillman.com

Bye bye
Daniele Nosella

ummm...uh.. That was a joke right? tell me that you are joking..DILLMAN!?!?!
Posted by: kenposan

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/26/05 10:01 PM

Um, got any real proof of this? (the whole George Dilllman brought sacred nunchaku knowledge to the heathen West).

While I may concede the Dillman may have taught Lee (Lee travelled in a big circle of ppl),

--------
play nicely kids..... there's no need to incite riots or other mindless acts of violence

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/28/05 07:29 AM

You and kemposan can believe anything you want, this isn't a mine problem...
But the info's that I have released are history...

Bye bye

Daniele Nosella

---
play nicely please, + dont start any flame wars here

Re: bruce lee and his nunchaku - 09/29/05 08:21 AM

Ok Reiki,
I didn't want to do a war, I wanted only to help somebody sharing that I know. But now I prefer to leave this thread... it's not useful for anybody

bye bye

Daniele Nosella