Sakugawa

Posted by: oonyuudou

Sakugawa - 08/08/05 03:47 PM

Hi all.
I am currently studying Sakugawa no Kun sho and I am trying to look into the bunkai. The problem is I seem to have hit a road block and I can't seem to get past it. I know this Kata is full of neat techniques but right now all I can see is the initial set of movements. I was kinda hopeing there might be someone out there who can shed a little light and point me in the right direction, so that I can get past this block!
Cheers
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Sakugawa - 08/08/05 08:41 PM

hello. I do Sakugawa no Kun sho and dai as well. Yes it is full of great techniques. However there are several versions of the kata out there. Im not sure which one you are doing. Sakugawa katas tend to be very aggressive so the movements are strong and quick. I can go into a few applications here, but again , since i dont know which one you are doing i dont know if it will help.
anyway here is one. the opening movement in which you step back on your left foot and execute an over head strike followed by a quick ude uke( or hook block as we call it sometimes). Now imagine your attacker is stepping in with a bo and making and over head strike as well with his left foot forward. As you step back to make your overhead strike step slightly at a 45degree angle. Instead of making your strike at his bo, make it at his front hand on the wrist. The follow up hook block you make can slip between his wrist and his bo. the hooking motion can disarm him or if he is still hanging on it makes a nice wrist lock.

like i said this kata is full of some devastating applications. Id love to help your with some more, but id need more of an idea of what version you are doing.
Posted by: oonyuudou

Re: Sakugawa - 08/09/05 06:40 PM

Hi,
thanks for your input Chatan1979. As for the version I am practicing, I'm not sure but I think it is a Matayoshi or Shito style version but please don't quote me on that! As for your technique, its exactly what I am looking for. I often see Ude Uke as a great way to get inside an opponents guard and to apply a lock or throw. However, I have read that Sakugawa included examples within this Kata of attacking moves and the defense against said attacks. this is where I struggle the most, any clues or examples of this!
Cheers for your help so far.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Sakugawa - 08/09/05 08:36 PM

good then it sounds like you are on the right track. There is a theory that the first half of the kata are attacks and the second half are the defenses to those attacks. break down your movements and examine them. Again this is just a theory that my sensei and a few others have pointed out. It just takes a little work.
also look at any time you make a figure 8 strike. Instead of viewing that as striking, look at it as striking the wrist as i said above, then pulling the bo into you and as you execute the figure 8 it should throw the opponent. Good luck