I need help

Posted by: STEIN_AUF

I need help - 06/29/05 02:27 PM

I am going to start bow staff but I'm not sure what to get any help?
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: I need help - 06/29/05 02:37 PM

Do what your instructor tells you, and you'll be just fine.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: I need help - 06/29/05 04:22 PM

Quote:

I am going to start bow staff but I'm not sure what to get any help?

your instructor will show you what to do.

And if you dont have an instructor then I suggest you find a good dojo and join up so you recieve correct instruction! You wont learn correct technique any other way.

Re: I need help - 06/29/05 10:28 PM

What I mean is brand of bow staff
Posted by: laf7773

Re: I need help - 06/30/05 03:00 AM

Again your instructor may have something specific in mind. It's best to ask your instructor first.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: I need help - 06/30/05 08:39 AM

i agree. ask your instructor. by the way, saying Bo Staff is completely redundant. Thats like saying i do katana sword or tanto knife. Both words mean the same thing.

Re: I need help - 06/30/05 11:19 AM

thx for the tip im a bit new at this only a yellow belt in tkd...
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: I need help - 06/30/05 05:12 PM

Yellow belt seems somewhat early to be learning a weapon.

Page

Re: I need help - 06/30/05 05:23 PM

Quote:

Yellow belt seems somewhat early to be learning a weapon.

Page

We start our weapons training early with single sticks at white belt level [8th kyu] and progress from there.

All serious students in our dojo are welcome to train with any weapon at any level. If they are keen enough to want to train then we teach them, provided they are careful and use the weapons responsibly.

The 1st bo kata [Sakagawa] is a grading requirement for blue belt [5th kyu] in our system, but we like to start the students learning bo a bit earlier if possible.

Re: I need help - 06/30/05 05:45 PM

my instructors said that most of the time dont let someone start weapons till there a blue belt but im there five times a week and me and my sabamin have a good friendship and they think that I could be able to do weapons sooner... im happy to hear that, that is why i wanted to be prepared...
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: I need help - 06/30/05 06:08 PM

Reiki, is yours primarily a weapons art?

I see from your post that you perform Sakagawa no Kun. This is a somewhat advanced Bo kata. It suprises me that kyu ranks learn this. Most middle Kyu ranks don't use their left sides effectively with open hand techniques, let alone the "mirror image" techniques while using a bo.

I will not speak for all Okinawan styles. However my students generally are required to have at least 2 yearsof open hand training prior to begining kobudo.

When they do begin Kobudo, the bo is the first weapon that they learn. Thet practice with it about 1-3 months before learning the first bo Kata.

Just curious as to how many others allow or have been allowed weapons training at the onset of their training.

Page

Re: I need help - 06/30/05 11:09 PM

i study kenpo karate and kobudo as two separate arts. we have kobudo students who start and have never even thrown a kick or done any empty hand training. Yes i know that the two arts benefit each other greatly, but anyone can learn weapons. With proper instruction and patience its possible. Now i know some school only do weapons at shodan or blue belt or whatever and they have their reasons, but ive seen plenty of non empty handed-art students take up Kobujitsu and do just fine . We do Sakugawa no kun sho at blue belt, Sakugawai Dai at nidan, and Sakugawa Ko at like yodan i think. Our system is an extremely kata heavy kobujitsu. Just in Bo kata alone we have at least 15 traditional Bo kata in the system. It is a blend of Matayoshi and Ryukyu Kobudo, so we have the katas from both of those systems to study. I hope i dont come off to strongly, but plz dont think that people have to know an empty handed art before they can learn weapons. Here is a link to our Kobujitsu site if you have any questions.
http://www.nintaifukutsuryu.com/
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: I need help - 07/01/05 11:49 AM

My sensei said if he were to start over, he wouldn't teach weapons until sandan! I think you should AT LEAST be a good brown belt (1st or 2nd kyu). This way your stances are pretty much automatic. Yellow belts will concentrate on the weapons and their hands so much the legs will go to hell.

Re: I need help - 07/01/05 06:28 PM

Quote:

Reiki, is yours primarily a weapons art?

I see from your post that you perform Sakagawa no Kun. This is a somewhat advanced Bo kata. It suprises me that kyu ranks learn this. Most middle Kyu ranks don't use their left sides effectively with open hand techniques, let alone the "mirror image" techniques while using a bo.

I will not speak for all Okinawan styles. However my students generally are required to have at least 2 yearsof open hand training prior to begining kobudo.

When they do begin Kobudo, the bo is the first weapon that they learn. Thet practice with it about 1-3 months before learning the first bo Kata.

Just curious as to how many others allow or have been allowed weapons training at the onset of their training.

Page

We do a fair bit with weapons but also a lot of open handed stuff too. And BJJ style grappling too, so you could say we are a fairly mixed bunch.

Just so that you don't get the wrong idea, generally most of our students start learning bo at blue belt level.

There are those who are particularly keen and/or talented that ask [nicely!] and are taught earlier because they are prepared to put in the extra work. I was one of those students a few years ago...

We do however start teaching single stick work from white belt level, usually once they have the basic stances and good punching and kicking technique [approx 6mths worth of training] because we have found that the weapons work improves their open handed work.

They move into double stick work at orange belt and above.

As we get higher up the ranks then more opportunities for learning other weapons become available. The keener students get to learn whichever weapons they want so that they can spend years perfecting the weapon long before it is a grading requirement.

Re: I need help - 07/01/05 11:06 PM

I know people have their reasons for waiting til higher rank to taech weapons. But why cnat someone learn stances and basics while learning a weapon? traditionaly for example, Samurai learned weapons first, soldiers learn to use a weapon first. The empty handed arts were intended for when you lost your weapon in battle. They were a last resort. weapons were taught first. students can learn the same basic stances, etiquette, kihon , or what have you in weapons class just as well as in a karate class.
Posted by: littlemikey26

Re: I need help - 03/16/06 02:26 PM

Actually my sensei started us on weapons after about the first month of classes, his reasons were that they supplemented our empty handed training, (isshinryu) and the weapons we were able to choose from were the bo, sai, nunchaku, escrima. As these were usefull as well as being practical, i always particularly liked the sai, and nunchaku, which are both very good for strenghthening the fore-arms and wrist i sometimes do sanchin and seiuchin kata while holding the sai for a better workout, (they get heavy) also most basic thechniques with these weapons resemble techniques used with every day items, the nunchaku like a rope or chain and so on.