favourite weapons and Y!

Posted by: DaDoN_1

favourite weapons and Y! - 06/15/05 03:30 PM

tell me ppl..what do u prefer??...what do u think makes a kick ass weapon!
Posted by: devinw

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/15/05 08:13 PM

The Glock G18

Humbly posted
Devin
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/15/05 10:49 PM

Any garden variety goat, with the exception of Gandalf

Page
Posted by: harlan

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/15/05 10:50 PM

Eku.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/15/05 11:21 PM

Which of the Okinawan kobudo ryu do you train in?

Not many of us have good formal training in the Eaku.

The Eaku is one of my favorites, second only to the Rochin and Tinbe.

Page
Posted by: MAGr

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/16/05 06:29 AM

throwing knives,
they are legal and incapacitating from 20-30 feet!
Posted by: Cord

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/16/05 09:11 AM

My lovely Katana for satisfaction of the art in itself

My Rattan sticks and training knife for eskrima/kali class/practice

My Kamagong sticks and cold steel tactical tanto for home protection.

Brass knuckle for when out and about.

6 Cell maglight for work.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/16/05 09:22 AM

Quote:

Which of the Okinawan kobudo ryu do you train in?

Not many of us have good formal training in the Eaku.

The Eaku is one of my favorites, second only to the Rochin and Tinbe.

Page

I train in Traditional Kobujitsu. We do a blend of Matayoshi and Ryukyu kobodo. Eku is great. We do Sunakake No Eku and Tsuken Aka Cho No Eku.
Posted by: Pess

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/16/05 10:32 AM

Favorite weapon would probably be the flexible long spear. Nothing is quite as satisfactory as snapping the tip to make it bend back and forth and then thrusting, then watching your opponent's faces as he tries to figure out how to block it ^_^
Posted by: Reiki

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/16/05 06:23 PM

Quote:

Page

ROFL! quite right! he can be a very vicious thing at times and usually needs to be kept in check with my feet or I end up with the pointy bits from his head in "tender" places
He's not garden variety either, he is a Boer/Angora X, very meaty very woolly!

my favourite weapons are large sticks of any sort [including a lance] and swords. A well trained dog can come in handy too!

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/23/05 10:50 PM

i agree with u fully cord..i love ecrimas..i'm pretty good with it, and i'm becoming a big fan of throwing knives...i hate the staff though...i dislike most if not all long weapons...that's y i tend 2 lean towards kamas also...

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/24/05 01:32 AM

Quote:

Page

just for you, a picture of the weapon himself
http://www.geocities.com/arthorses/gandalf2.jpg
Posted by: MAGr

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/24/05 10:19 PM

why do you hate the staff?
Posted by: DINAMO788

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/24/05 10:39 PM

the staff is atually my favorite weapon even though i dont know how to properly use it.

i liek it becuase it has range and can be used against multiple oppenents and has two ends so u can kinda attack from two sides.

i liek rattans taffs becuase they are thin, light weight, and easy to wield, but i think they are juss for training?
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/24/05 10:44 PM

Chain whip and hooking swords.

Kevin

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/25/05 10:00 AM

i can't stand it...not really my kinda weapon..sure i know that if u can handle a staff well u can use ANY weapon..i know this..but..it's just not my style..and i think that mental block is preventing me from even tryin 2 better myself with it...i don't really like weapons that requires me 2 use both hands for it(unless it's a pair)...i prefer to hold one in each hand...rather than on in both hands..think about it..can a bo staff really strike in two completely different directions simultaneously??...that's y i love ecrimas...good enuff length and easy 2 manage

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/25/05 10:01 AM

chain whips are nice..but u forgot the most important thing kevin!!..Y DO U LIKE THEM??
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/25/05 06:40 PM

Oh yeah. I like the chain whip a lot! I like how it can be used in close and at a distance. Hooking swords are the only weapon I ever put into my hands that just felt like they belong there. The only problem with them is not to practical to carry around. To me the hooking swords are a utility weapon so many ways to strike with them.

Kevin
Posted by: specter

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/25/05 09:00 PM

As far as which ones i really like and think that they are cool: katanas, tai chi sword, tonfa, bo staff and jo staff. even though i dont know how to fight with most of those weapons.

as far as carrying one around goes: Tec-9s! i dont go anywhere without these babies! i make a living off of these two! As soon as i walk up to you with my ski mask on and my tec-9s out, you better have a full wallet 'fo i cap yo a$$ punk!
(joking aside, i would NEVER waste valuable bullets like that!)

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/27/05 04:24 PM

yeah...tonfa's are good..i've seen some ppl do some really cool stuff with it..i'm yet 2 try that weapon but i know i will!, it looks a lil weird..but once i can come up with some advantages of its use..i will,
argg..all u ppl and ur love for the bo-staff...i'm jealous...seems like if i'm the only person who can't operate it well..but i was told my some ppl that if i can't spin a bo-staff it'll be hard for me to do other weapons...boy were they wrong..i know that the staff is consider the "all round weapon" and that it's a true beginners but great for experts and so on..but...i just don't think it's my thing....
right now i'm gonna try my skill at the chuks ..see how well i can do at that..seems i have the ecrimas down good...soo...nunchuks it is(for now atleast)
Posted by: Iamdadude

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/30/05 06:50 PM

I want to see pictures of a chain-whip, but I'm afraid to go to google and type in the words "chain" and "whip"...in the same sentence. Lol.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 06/30/05 10:04 PM

do a search with parental controls on. Or do it in a MA context

• chain whip kung fu
  • chain whip martial art

Also put chain and whip in parenthesis-"chain whip" That way the search engine will only look for those two words in order.

Happy surfing.
  • Posted by: STEIN_AUF

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/01/05 07:16 AM

i would have to go with nunchuck and or bo staff... chinesse sword... throwing stars... throwing daggers... throwing axes... throwing knifes........ect..ect...
    [edt] I like throwing wepons because you could inflict the same amount of damage on your opp. only from far away [edt]

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/01/05 07:30 AM

u care 2 say "y" Stein_Auf??
    Posted by: Iamdadude

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/01/05 08:37 AM

Quote:

do a search with parental controls on. Or do it in a MA context

• chain whip kung fu
  • chain whip martial art

Also put chain and whip in parenthesis-"chain whip" That way the search engine will only look for those two words in order.

Happy surfing.

• Lol, this is humorous, but I did it.
    Posted by: fattts14

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/12/05 01:09 PM

Anything blunt...there is nothing like bludgening your enemy to death. The cruder the better!
    Posted by: SwordsmanAJ

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/14/05 04:15 PM

A Medieval Longsword would be my favorite

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/15/05 01:48 AM

What about broadsword?

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/15/05 08:16 AM

speaking of swords...anyone uses it as a weapon??...like if they do kendo???
    i'm gonna start it sometime soon....
    Posted by: MonkeyLegs

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/19/05 03:01 PM

Quote:

tell me ppl..what do u prefer??...what do u think makes a kick ass weapon!

I have a 26 inch long by 1 inch thick pice of dowling that I like because it can be carried in your car and it has as many uses as you can think of.
    I also like pens/pencils because they are legal, easy to hide and can be used to write with.
    Rope darts and chain whips too just because they look cool

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/19/05 04:09 PM

Quote:

speaking of swords...anyone uses it as a weapon??...like if they do kendo???
    i'm gonna start it sometime soon....

I use my broadsword for making coleslaw as part of my jousting and sword play. Decapitating cabbages and pumpkins and the like on horseback, its a lot of fun and it takes very little force to make them explode on impact even with the blunted blade that the battleready ones like mine have!

Imagine what a sharp one would do!

I am going to be doing some re-enactment swordfight stuff soon with broadswords.

In the dojo we have been training with bokken [and jo vs bokken] for some time now and I find it really enjoyable. It's one of my favourite weapons.

Haven't tried kendo, the only local club is more than an hour and a half drive away and would take up too much of my valuable MA time to get there and back.
    Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/21/05 10:41 AM

I have two personal favorites. Hard style favorite would have to be the Sai. They bring me in a little closer than I would necessarily like to be to defend against a long bladed weapon but when I think about it, I would rather be closer to the hilt than out on the edge of the blade.

Soft style, it would have to be the Yang spear. It has a good reach and can be used as both a bladed or a blunt striking weapon. The red tassle on the end provides just enough of a distraction to give you a slight edge.

There are a few others I really like but those two would be my favorites.

Scottie

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/24/05 03:54 PM

lol..we at my school we do ALOT of styles..and at a higher rank they tend 2 pull u in a certain style and train u fully in it..so u have basics at others...and master 1 or 2...
    so i recently started kendo, and the basics seem pretty straight forward 2 me, i think it's something that i'd really like, so maybe it MAY BE a favourite in some years 2 come...but escrimas.....will always be 1st
    Posted by: imcrazy

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/27/05 01:10 PM

My favourites are my Wax Wood Staff and wooden Nunchakus.
    Posted by: pisces590

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 07/31/05 08:14 PM

i dont have any formal traing, but my favorites are katana, bokken, bo-staff, and throwing stars. I like the katana simply because of all the hard work put forth to make a high-quality one. Bokken i like because it can be used as a sword, but is safer to train with, plus training with it also trains me for the katana. I like the bo-staff because of its many uses, for fighting and not. Throwing stars i simply like because they hurt the opponent before they get close enough to hurt you.
    Posted by: flipsamurai

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 08/17/05 06:19 AM

i guess i didn't see this earlier, i guess it's to late to take my post back, well any way i guess a reverse blade sword (don't like to cut open any one i guess it's closest in using a reverse blade and using regualr sword but on it's blunt side).
    Posted by: funstick5000

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 08/18/05 06:45 PM

Quote:

i guess i didn't see this earlier, i guess it's to late to take my post back, well any way i guess a reverse blade sword (don't like to cut open any one i guess it's closest in using a reverse blade and using regualr sword but on it's blunt side).

they're a very touch subject here. you should buy an Iaito. they're blunt and won't cut your arm off.
    Posted by: i_got_hurt

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 08/22/05 11:32 PM

Sai, Bo Staff, and Bukkudo are my personal faves.
    -- -- -- --
    Posted by: harlan

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 11/28/06 02:54 PM

bump...for Xibalba and new members
    Posted by: webby

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 11/28/06 04:39 PM

.... Nunchukus all good
    sai is another
    the mighty bo staff has to be the best
    Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 11/28/06 08:08 PM

I know it has been said before ... But saying bo staff is like saying I play baseball with my Bat bat.... Either say bo.. or say staff. not both together
    Posted by: IRKguy

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 11/29/06 01:47 AM

My favorite weapon depends on what I am using it for.

At home, it would have to be the shotgun. For self defense in my car, the trench shovel I use for digging snow from around my tires. For self defense where I can have it, a small caliber pistol (by small, I mean 9mm to .380). For self defense where I cannot have a pistol, the Spyder Delica. For self defense where I cannot have a real weapon, an xlr to 1/4 inch adapter with a turnaround attached. It's a three-inch long tube of metal with an inch-long spike on the end. If you're in a strange town that you had to go through TSA to get to, just carry this piece of stereo equipment in your hand and no one will bug you. Even the local police can't call it a weapon, since it plugs into most audio systems. If you are in a city that allows no weapons at all, just buy a good pair of boots.

Even in my car, the Delica has been the most useful. I'm not willing to flash someone a pistol until I have to use it for fear of brandishing laws, but I have been stuck at a light in urban situations and seen people moving in on my car. I just opened the knife and held it on the steering wheel at the ten o'clock position. They lost interest, faded back, and waited for the next red light. Of course, awareness is the real weapon.

However, for martial arts, my favorite weapons are the bo and the sai, not for how useful they would be in a confrontation but for how they augment my empty-hand training. I can't imagine a siuation in which I will use these weapons for self defense, but I can see how training with these weapons made my empty-hand techniques better.
    Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 11/29/06 09:23 PM

I love the quickness and range of nunchuckas. A long staff is great for the offensive defense it creates. And I love the beauty of a sword. Any sword.
    Posted by: JKogas

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 11/29/06 09:30 PM

My brain.

-John
    Posted by: medulanet

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 11/29/06 10:44 PM

GLOCK 37. I don't just like shooting people, I like knocking them on the ground.
    Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 11/29/06 10:49 PM

Well if where talking guns, i like my winchester defender 12 guage pump. Nothing like that loud click clack to instill a healthy dump into your opponent. The 18 inch barrel gives a good spread too.
    Posted by: crablord

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 11/30/06 01:18 AM

spas 12. pwnage
    Posted by: Shouji

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 12/14/06 02:45 PM

Quote:

spas 12. pwnage

Beretta Storm Cx4 + Dual Px4's.

In the realm of more skill oriented weapons, I love my Katana.
    Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 12/21/06 02:24 PM

For self-protection outside of the dojo I prefer a Cold Steel folding tanto. Inside the dojo I like the Bo and Katana because of the grace and tradition of them.
    Posted by: MasonBoy

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 02/16/07 05:30 PM

I think my fave weapon would be an Odachi, this is becuase i saw a short japanese woman using one and it was like as tall as she was, she looked so cool.

Posted by: Saisho

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 02/16/07 10:28 PM

I like sticks. Preferably one about 24 - 30 inches long and about 1 in diameter. Two sticks are good, but I actually prefer one. I prefer a shorter staff than a rokushaku bo. Four feet is good.

Knifes are good - tanto blade. I really like my Cold Steel Recon Tanto, but I also like my Cold Steel Gurka Khukri.

Choice of firearms would be my Glock 23 (.40 cal) and my 12 ga. Mossberg Pump.
    Posted by: MasonBoy

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 02/21/07 05:54 PM

Actually, maybe a Jian because that looks great when it's being used properly too... i like them both.

Posted by: Baka_Ino

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 03/16/07 10:35 AM

My favorite weapon has to be throwing knifes, because if you are used to throwing regular knifes at items it will be your best suite. But the reason I like throwing knifes is the fact that if you throw it fast and with good accuracy it can cause some decent damage.
    Posted by: SRitchie

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 04/02/07 04:14 PM

Cane
    1) You can carry it anywhere
    2) Most people don't even see it as a weapon
    3) Has elements of and can be used like Staff, sword, escrima stick, nunchaku, tonfa
    4) Has an added feature of a meat hook on one end withwhich you can lock and throw with ease.

Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 04/02/07 04:49 PM

Hello:

A keen mind is the best weapon.

Jeff
    Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 04/02/07 04:55 PM

A hickory hanbo... [3' long, 1" thick]

Easy to transport, not hard to find (the hanbo at least)whether singularly or in larger quantities...

Jeff
    Posted by: Curly

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 04/03/07 03:59 PM

My bare hands.
    Posted by: meteorhammer

Re: favourite weapons and Y! - 12/27/08 03:06 AM

meteor hammer because it can quickly smash a foe in the face from over ten feet away in five seconds or less. and its difficult to block, dodge, or cut the rope. VERY difficult in fact. also it is very very easy to throw in an added kick or punch when someone gets too close and easily maneuvered around your body when yoou gat pone-skillz like me:P