Improvised Weapons

Posted by: hedkikr

Improvised Weapons - 06/09/05 10:13 PM

Just wondering...

What are some "improvised weapons" you've seen, used, thought of, etc. & how would you use them?
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/09/05 11:18 PM

I was in a village riot in El Salvador in 1999. I saw a man defending his child. He picked up a goat. That's right a goat, and swung it twice against an armed militia-man.

First swing (swung by the hind legs) caught the guy in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen. Near the appendix. Slashed medially throught the abdomen and broke the goats horn off against the lowest left rib.

Second swing brought the goats head against the aggressors head with now jagged broken horn puncturing the cheek and embedding in the soft palate on the roof of the mouth.

Father lived. child lived. Goat lived. Armed militia man...

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for. Sorry.

Page
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/10/05 12:41 AM

Wow BuDoc!

Well there is always the paper plate, that Sanchin31 mentioned...

Just about anything can be used as a weapon in some way.

Just remembered, I have actually thought of using my keys as a weapon. What I found just from playing with my keys is that by putting the largest 2 keys between your 3 fingers (index, middle, ring) you can make a fist with 2 spikes sticking out. Those spikes or key ends can be used to hit vital points on the opponents body (pressure points etc.). Maybe I should call it "Key Fu".
Posted by: Cord

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/10/05 03:57 AM

Wow Budoc, nothing like having your family threatened to 'get your goat'!

Improvised weapons I have used.

Sock Full of Change (pre prepared, but not a ready made weapon)
Pub ashtray (heavy thick glass)
Brick
Coin Roll (again, pre prepared)
Wooden chair

Improv weapons that I think may work.

Pool cue
Bunch of keys (though I suspect at the expense of a couple of metacarples)
Rolled up magazine (thrust up hard under nose is the logical target if possible)
Mag light torch (I carry a 6 cell at work and in the car, but fortunately have never used as a weapon)

Improv weapons I would not use.

Bottles or drinks glasses. For some reason I wouldnt/dont have a problem causing head trauma/internal bleading with blunt objects, but do have a problem causing flesh wounds/blindness
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/10/05 05:26 AM

Yes,the paper plate kata!

That's an amazing story Budoc! I'm going to start carrying a goat around on my keychain instead of my kubaton.

....a chain,stapler,just about anything small and heavy,the figurines my wife collects would work good.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/10/05 07:26 AM

A lot of people, including me, ask what is the point of learning the staff, where are you ever going to fing a staff to use. Except for the obvious pool cue, after I started learnign it, you would be surprised at how many things I could see that potentially could be used in the same way.
Broom stick,
Random metal rod,
Construction site, anything
Golf umbrealla,
Broken off char leg (after using the chair)
Branch off a tree in the park.
And it doesnt even have to be cylindrical, because anything that you use the wrist to wield you have an advantage if you have done weapons training.

Pub ashtray is undoubtedly the best though!
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/10/05 08:39 AM

fixed things make good weapons, too. throwing somebody into a bench or a tree is just as affective as hiting somebody with a club, sometimes.

I've removed a sentance for the sake of not causing an incident
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/10/05 09:46 AM

I've edited it
Posted by: Pess

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/10/05 09:48 AM

Same as MAGr here. PVC pipe, Walking stick. I've also used pens and pencils, but that's a last ditch, and I've also had some success with a 3.5" jack on the end of headphones, both for quick stabby motions, obviously ^_^
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/10/05 01:01 PM

edited
Posted by: DefenselessChild

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/10/05 03:39 PM

Simple pen...go for cavities...
Posted by: coxne

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/10/05 04:32 PM

edited

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/11/05 06:57 PM

BuDoc...
Wow! Necesity IS the mother of invention.

Now I'm wondering why this thread has been edited SO many times?

Several years ago a colleague (who had an attitude) got jumped by an inmate weilding the popular sock-full-o-soap. He was beaten so badley he incurred brain damage.

I know that many objects can be used as projectiles, striking weapons & cutting/puncturing weapons and all one needs to do is look around & use his imagination. From my seat I see CD's that when broken can become a knife, ruler, pens, paperweight & flashlight to name a few (not to mention my work knife in my pocket).

The reason I decided to post this topic is just to have the members remind eachother that although we tarin in empty-hand skills, there's nothing wrong w/ using an improvised weapon to increase your odds.

But the key word is "improvised". If you go into a situation w/ an "imporvised" weapon already prepared, you've demonstrated Intent (like the inmate above) & will probably be prosecuted for ADW (Assault w/ a Deadly Weapon).

(my cat just walked by...I see her in a new light thanks to BuDoc)
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/11/05 07:28 PM

Ok,I've got to get started on my goat kata.
When I was in boot camp I saw a fight involving a boot in a pillowcase,ouch!
Imagine what you could with a pair of pliers.Oh my.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/12/05 01:48 AM

(I'll apologize first)

A boot in a pillow case @ BOOT camp?

What would they have used @ cheerleader camp?

OK, serious again...
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/12/05 02:31 AM

Quote:

BuDoc...
Wow! Necesity IS the mother of invention.

Now I'm wondering why this thread has been edited SO many times?

(my cat just walked by...I see her in a new light thanks to BuDoc)

Don't ask about the editing, you don't need to know.

IMHO Cats could make excellent weapons for sparring.
I can think of nothing better than having a couple of cats strapped on my fists with the sharp bits pointing outwards. Plus you can use them as a bo or a flail for more "interesting" training.

Posted by: Moby Joe

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/12/05 06:06 AM

I've never really had to use a weapon, so I cant say what would definately work... I'll have a crack anywhat.

Obvious

Keys
Pens
Pool Cue
Bottle
Ash Tray

Not so obvious

Jacket (strangling, blocking, distraction)
Aerosol (spray in the eyes, combine with a lighter? lol)
Rocks/Tiles (throwing , possibly used as stabbing weapon.. tiles are sharp)
Sand/dirt (distraction)
.357 Revolver (uses atm unknown, will continue to think )

I've also wondered about the use of yelling. Like, screaming something just plain weird at the top of your lungs to confuse your attacker and possibly put them off? ( Yes, I'm aware it is not a weapon, but please bare with me)

Attacker: You made me spill my drink, what the hell?
(attacker shoves defender to provoke violent reaction)
Defender: MY LEFT LEG IS ON FIRE, PLEASE PUT SOME ICE CREAM ON IT BECAUSE I AM THE KING OF LEMON PEPPERED CHICKEN!!!
Attacker: Ahh, okayy ... get away from me..

Situation difused

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/12/05 04:03 PM

...I don't need to know?

Sounds sinister.

Is there a conspiracy?

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/12/05 05:08 PM

You can check out that goat kata on my Goat Fu website.

I am quitting Shorin Ryu, and developing a fighting style based entirely on the use of barnyard animals as weapons.

Forget what you know about white crane. The new rage in martial arts is Red Chicken

Page

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/12/05 06:00 PM

Makes me think of the fight with the MA Cow in Kung Pow. Talk about 'mad cow' desease!

Does your new MA system give an element of suprise? After all i should think you could be a wolf in sheeps clothing when it is mastered

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/12/05 06:11 PM

ok what's the link to this famous goat kata, I want to check it out...

I'd like to see you using Gandalf [one of our goats] for this, he is rather big & heavy and has enormous horns which in themselves are very good weapons! I know, I've been on the receiving end of them more often than not...

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/12/05 07:56 PM

I don't really have a website. I was just kinda poking fun at some other threads.

The goat that was used in my previous post was pretty large as well.

Just goes to show that when a parent is protecting a child it's anything goes!

Page
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/12/05 09:51 PM

Horrible, awful, ancient MA movie called "To kill the golden goose" featuring Ed Parker and Bong Soo Han.

Did have one cool scene where EP was sitting at a dinner table, 2 thugs come up to him with ill intentions. He takes his (china, not paper ) dinner plate, breaks it in half on the edge of the table and jams it in the throat of one of the guys.

I forget why he didn't use knife/fork.
Posted by: fattts14

Re: Improvised Weapons - 07/08/05 10:45 AM

Improvised weopons don't have to be heavy... a well placed (over the eye brow) slash with a credit card is going to cut you open. Anything thrown at an attackers face my not hurt them but could make them flinch giving you that little advantage to get the upper hand. Pocket full of change, keys, the brim of a hat pushed straight on into the forhead gives a pretty nice jolt believ it or not. Just got to use yur imagination or make do with what you got.
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Improvised Weapons - 07/15/05 07:50 PM

MattJ: Where did you happen to see that movie? I've been trying to find ones Mr. Parker was in, as I study AKK.

sunspots

P.S. Maybe he used the broken plate because the edge was longer than a dinner knife blade, leaving less margin of error in targeting. Not that I would question Mr. Parker's ability to hit whatever he was aiming at. Maybe it was a director's thing, just to be different.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Improvised Weapons - 07/17/05 02:27 PM

Check your PM, Sunspots.
Posted by: Warwolph

Re: Improvised Weapons - 07/24/05 07:20 PM

over the past couple of weeks I've been away experimenting with "self-defense" techniques taught by some guy who's been in the army a while as well as having studied quite a few years of Karate, here in Belgium.. It wasn't great, except he insisted we do a couple of days on improvised weaponry.. it was pretty standard stuff, we rolled newspapers up to act like Bo staffs, learning how to "correctly" throw a CD.. that kinda thing... bigtime mcdojo, but I signed up a while back in a hurry when I realised I didn't have any training planned for the summer.. it provided a good workout... Anyhow, think of throwing gravel in the face, or anything that comes to hand... in one case, a guy couldn't think of anything, and in the outside sparring, a guy ripped leaves off a nearby tree, and while running mashed them into a ball, and threw them back in the guys face... not painful in any way, but the guy was surprised and actually started laughing... now my question is... other than this bit of comedy, did I waste the 100 euros I spent on these 2 weeks? my answer to you is: yes, unless you think that telling a good joke might defuse a serious situation....
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Improvised Weapons - 07/30/05 11:31 PM

Quote:

...Obvious

Keys
Pens
Pool Cue
Bottle
Ash Tray

Curious how so many people think of pool cues. Personally, I'd choose those 16 round ivory projectiles that come with it.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 07/31/05 08:50 PM

I had this in mind when I started the thread:

If some one came in right now, what could you utilize to tip the odds in your favor?

For that matter, what if it happened on the job, exiting your car, or during any other normal day/night activity?
Posted by: pisces590

Re: Improvised Weapons - 07/31/05 11:14 PM

if someone came in right now, there are scissors, a screwdriver, a stapler, and various heavy objects i can throw, plus i can use the mouse as a kind of weighted chain type thing. Also, several discs that can be thrown.
Posted by: coxne

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/01/05 03:38 PM

Working in an office setting, some of the easiest access weapons would be pens, desk lamps, coat racks(break the base off and you got a nice bo.) Keyboards, monitors(we have flat panel), and anything you can throw. As for my vehicle, I have a bo and some escrima sticks in my truck, so it is a mute point.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/02/05 09:03 AM

car combat - always have your keys in hand, never in your pocket, that pile of pennies in your center consul might be of more use then just over pumping at the gas station, a handful of pennies in the face isn't pleasant. My instructor actually squirted me in the face with some hand-sanitizer, it was enough to get the upper hand alright. Take a look at your steering wheel and think of all the arm bar and key lock variations you can do. Seat belts can choke and rear view mirrors can be broke of pretty easy for a little hand held weapon.
My instructor also says whenever he goes into a bar or wherever, he checks to see if the chairs are bolted down or removeable, are the tables thick enough to stop bullets or big enough to hide behind, how far of a reach is it to the bottles behind the bar, do the bouncers have any visible weopons (flash lights, pepper spray, etc.), and can the windows be smashed or jumped through for a quick exit.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/02/05 12:22 PM

can wood stop bullets?

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/02/05 12:39 PM

not all tables are made of wood

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/02/05 01:37 PM

thats true. i don't many tables would stop a bullet.
Posted by: sumrandom

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/04/05 03:29 AM

Here's a link that I thought was really cool. Training in using a chair as a weapon. The perfect improvised weapon; it's got reach, it's solid, it can be heavy and has several pointy bits for thrusts as well as being useful for a more carefree, but satisfying "smash over the head"

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/07/05 02:00 PM

Quote:

Dont suppose your instructor saw the episode of 'mythbusters' where they tried to make a car's gas tank explode by shooting it (like in the movies)?
It didnt work so they tested the idea of using a car door for cover in a gunfight. The bullet went straight through the door and out the other side through the far door ! Hiding behind a table as protection from gunfire is not an option.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/07/05 08:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dont suppose your instructor saw the episode of 'mythbusters' where they tried to make a car's gas tank explode by shooting it (like in the movies)?
It didnt work so they tested the idea of using a car door for cover in a gunfight. The bullet went straight through the door and out the other side through the far door ! Hiding behind a table as protection from gunfire is not an option.

did you catch 'guns' by jeremy clarkson a while ago? it covered all that stuff.

a table could stop a bullet but it would be a freak occurance or a ricache (sp?) from a wall etc bullets have been known to do stange things. for example a man killed his own son a firing range a couple of years ago. the man was outside and his gun had been modified to shoot 'doubles' without him knowing (it was a second hand gun) and he shot two bullets instead of one. the first hit the target but the second shot at a higher angle due to the recoil and hit the building. it passed through 3 walls without changing direction but then it hit a roof tile (one of those ones made from hardened mush that break really easily) ricached and hit his son in the side of the head where he was sitting.
strange.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/08/05 03:44 PM

Just had an idea...

I keep a bottle of Habanero hot sauce (one of the hottest chili peppers in the world) in my office desk. If time weren't an issue, mixing it w/ water to throw in the face could be nasty - liquid pepper spray.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/09/05 12:47 AM

Geeze, hedkikr, why not just throw rubbing alcohol on their face and light it up.
Posted by: sumrandom

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/09/05 03:01 AM

hell hedkikr, just take a mothful and spit it in their eyes. sure you won't be able to taste anything for a few days, but if it's a life or death type situation...

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/09/05 06:30 AM

Quote:

Just had an idea...

I keep a bottle of Habanero hot sauce (one of the hottest chili peppers in the world) in my office desk. If time weren't an issue, mixing it w/ water to throw in the face could be nasty - liquid pepper spray.

Sure I have mentioned this before, but a guy I worked the door with had a pair of soft leather gloves that he used to lace the palms of with chilli oil concentrate- very effective it was too
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/23/05 01:05 AM

This would work well in the car.
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/

For at work I would just run the guy down with a forklift.
You could use a fire extingusier as well too.
Posted by: hugo

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/23/05 04:36 AM

Just adding this to my favourites.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/23/05 03:32 PM

Quote:

This would work well in the car.
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/

For at work I would just run the guy down with a forklift.
You could use a fire extingusier as well too.

oh yes this one is a real favourite of mine!
I so WANT one of those flamethrowers......

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/24/05 06:21 AM

a fat marker pen like a dry wipe board pen makes a pretty good yawara-bo/kubaton for pressuse point application and better as a fist support. shame it has no weight behind it.
Posted by: hugo

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/25/05 05:58 AM

You guys are brutal. Whatever happened to a good old punch up the jaw. Put them down without friggin chilli powder through their eyes and enough teeth on the floor to make a necklace.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/25/05 12:33 PM

hugo...maybe because the title of this thread is "Improvised Weapons"? DUH

The reason I started this thread was because in a real SD situation, you want as much in your favor as possible be it numbers (of people on your side), physical positioning (don't stand on the curb) or availability of weapons.

Remember, possession of a weapon, in some areas, can be illegal or considered evidence of intent. Being able to recognize & utilize potential weapons is very important in deterence & fighting (if it comes down to it). This can be as simple as picking up objects to lob @ or bludgeon your attacker or more sophisticated cane or edged weapon techniques.

Whether you're confronting an angry client in your office or a hijacker/terrorist on an airline, the key is to be aware @ all times & be prepared to enlist an improvised weapon to tip the odds of success in your favor.

BTW: Thanks to all the posters, especially those who identified objects not customarily thought of as weapons. (South African BMW not included but awsome in its own right)

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/25/05 06:30 PM

what have I got on my desk that'd make a good weapon?

paper clips
stapler
CDs
CD jewel cases
cards
paper
0.5m steel engineers ruler [nice stick!]
misc pens and pencils - kubotans etc
computer - mouse for a flail, keyboard as a stick
phone
pda
speakers
phonebooks
lots of product catalogues & books
water glasses & coffee cups
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/25/05 09:21 PM

pull the other one. I (as well as many) work in an office environment...besides the infintecimal chance of being attacked at your computer, lets break your answers down tough-girl:

paper clips - ? no reply. 0 damage.
stapler - for throwing or hold it in your hand while punching.
CDs - like a ninja?
CD jewel cases - 0 damage.
cards - see 'ninja'
paper - mean paper cuts..ouchie!
0.5m steel engineers ruler [nice stick!] - it may give someone pause when struck accross the knuckles.
misc pens and pencils - kubotans etc - yep, if you have the time...how long does it take you to find a pen when someone says "take this number down..."

computer - mouse for a flail, keyboard as a stick phone
pda
speakers
phonebooks
lots of product catalogues & books

- if you consider those as better weapons than your fists then I ask you, what have you been training for?

water glasses & coffee cups - more projectiles.

are you basing your office protection on cubicle seige warfare or self-defense? projectiles are a non-issue in the office unless a female co-worker gets angry with a male peer who she's slept with.
get real.
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: Improvised Weapons - 08/25/05 11:56 PM

Well, beware of El Salvadorians bearing Goats.

All I can say is anything you can get your damned hands on.

This is why I study weapons in Karate - so I can use improvised ones. I have used Sai, Tonfa, Bo, Jo, Bokken. No good with Nunchuku.

In Hapkido, I have seen belts, plus canes and the more traditional weapons. After using a belt, one can use towels, plastic shopping bags as weapons. That's utiitarian.
Posted by: Xaith

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/01/05 02:39 PM

Computer keyboards work well. I have had the opportunity to use one, and they are made pretty tough.

Anything can be thrown to surprise someone but as far as actual damage goes stuff has to be reasonably hefty or sharp.

Here's an interesting phenomenon: if you weild something like a weapon, no matter what it is, an opponent will usually focus on it. As long as it appears that you know what you're doing, whoever you're fighting is going to look at the cup or magazine or whatever you have in your hand, and therefor be forced to adjust when, instead, you kick them in the shin.

If you smoke, you may find your cigar/cigarette/whatever to be useful when you clinch with another fighter just to burn their bare skin for distraction. Thrusting your cigarette at you're opponents face, even if it doesn't land, will throw up some hot ash, and when it comes down to it, you could even blow smoke in their face to temporarily distract them.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/09/05 12:32 PM

Lots of creativity... Now the next logical question is how many of you have practiced w/ Improvised Weapons?

It's OK to say "I'll hit him w/ my key board" or "I'll throw my stapler @ his head" but there's a world of difference between someone using a stick as a club and another who has shinai/jo/arnis skills.

How many of you have a "Kobutan"(C) key-ring & really know how to use it in the most effective manner?
How many could use that letter opener as an edged weapon as opposed to just pointing & threatening w/ it?
Do your nunchaku skills really translate to effective belt techniques?
Does a shoe really make an acceptable "punching glove"? (I actually saw this in a MA mag a while back)

Ex: Keys between the fingers is good but used w/ a hook punch seems less effective than a strait punch.

Anyone out there w/ other training suggestions? (maybe watching lots of Jackie Chan movies)
Posted by: harlan

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/09/05 02:21 PM

This post seems to turn on a more serious note...perhaps a new thread?

Are you pointing the question to those who practice in weapons, or looking for those who have actually used weapons (and, therefore, are qualified to say if something really works).

Quote:

Lots of creativity... Now the next logical question is how many of you have practiced w/ Improvised Weapons?

It's OK to say "I'll hit him w/ my key board" or "I'll throw my stapler @ his head" but there's a world of difference between someone using a stick as a club and another who has shinai/jo/arnis skills.

How many of you have a "Kobutan"(C) key-ring & really know how to use it in the most effective manner?
How many could use that letter opener as an edged weapon as opposed to just pointing & threatening w/ it?
Do your nunchaku skills really translate to effective belt techniques?
Does a shoe really make an acceptable "punching glove"? (I actually saw this in a MA mag a while back)

Ex: Keys between the fingers is good but used w/ a hook punch seems less effective than a strait punch.

Anyone out there w/ other training suggestions? (maybe watching lots of Jackie Chan movies)

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/09/05 03:49 PM

maybe the point is, if you've had bo training - then you'd be more likely to be able to actually use a broom handle as a weapon and not only have the imagination to just think of it.

that being said...what qualifies someone to use livestock as a weapon?

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/09/05 05:09 PM

Quote:

maybe the point is, if you've had bo training - then you'd be more likely to be able to actually use a broom handle as a weapon and not only have the imagination to just think of it.

that being said...what qualifies someone to use livestock as a weapon?

agree that if you are used to using one form of a weapon on picking up a slightly different form [ie a broom or pool cue] you will hopefully fall into learned responses and actions.

---> you've obviously never wrestled with a sheep or a goat before They make fine flails. So do dogs.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/09/05 05:11 PM

I got the point. MY point is how is one to discuss whether or not one's kubaton kata/training, bo training is effective...unless one has used it on someone? And who is going to discuss that?

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/09/05 07:49 PM

{FfwumPp!} well, that welt which you just left on my forehead was pretty effective. what WAS that? a curtain rod?

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/09/05 07:53 PM

(Careful, Kin...or folks might think we are married! )

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/09/05 08:04 PM

you...you...mean.....YOU WANT A DIVORCE!!?? WWWAAGGGHHHH...what about the children...what about the laundry....WHO WILL FEED THE DD{bottom lip quivers}DDOG? say it ain't so baby! say it aint soooooo.....

lol. no we aren't. ...yet.

{kidding again, I just like the shock value}

sorry...this concludes another episode from "As the stomach turns..." we now resume "Improvised Weapons"
Posted by: mma

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/10/05 01:43 AM

In Danzan Ryu Jujitsu, there are quite a few black belt techniques in which you take your belt off and use it to block punches, throw people and choke them out and lots of really cool stuff. I was thinking if you have like a thin overthrow on (like one of those checkered shirts that chollo's wear--hee sorry) you could take that off and use it as a weapon.

Or you could just use your Force powers and choke your attacker out from across the room! *Darth Vadar respirator sounds
poooo hheeee pooooo heeeeee*
Posted by: trevek

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/15/05 03:28 AM

A wrestler I knew in Scotland got into a fight with a guy who had a knife. He ended up clouting the guy with a didgeridoo. As he described it, "I didgeridi-done him!"

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/15/05 03:51 AM

Reading further back in the thread, I note the cat idea. I seem to recall seeing a film where someone just threw a cat at someone. As the cat was pretty peeved it was in claws-out mode on contact.

On a more realistic note, there is a martial artist in UK, Brian Dossett of Spirit Combat, who apparently once divised a kata based on a large garden fork (I stand to be corrected)which he had once used as an improvised weapon when attacked by a gang. He is also responsible for starting something called Viking Combat, a system using shields and sticks. The idea came to him after having to use a dustbin lid and a lump of wood in a defence situation.

(Please note these are the details I have read. I have no contact with SC and have never trained in it, so I have no axe to grind. If anyone can correct me then please do)

http://www.woodhamspiritcombat.com/soke.htm

Oh, and one for the ladies... a stilletto heel.
Posted by: thepanda

Re: Improvised Weapons - 12/27/05 04:42 PM

chairs-i think its quite obvious how it would be used, smashed over the head or thrown.

table-quite versatile, you can either break a leg off (if its wooden and you're strong enough) and use it as a club, or smack someones head down on it.

wall or window- simple really, just push someones head into it.
Posted by: Lycan

Re: Improvised Weapons - 12/28/05 12:42 AM

Ya, i can not say i have ever Serously used an improvised weapon i dont like to but here is what i do Got something shiney? Like gum wrapper throw that up in front of there face preform a tsuki with your hand or go for something less devistating like shin kick. =) altho it may not work in your oppnent is Fully intent on putting one threw you. but.. still a nice trhow off i have never used Seroulsy
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Improvised Weapons - 12/28/05 03:30 AM

Lord have mercy. Where do these people come from,what grade are they in,and who is their grammar teacher?
Posted by: Lycan

Re: Improvised Weapons - 12/28/05 04:42 AM

Lol was half asleep and not required to type very well right now. i have to type well all year and get few breaks so i take them when i can.
Posted by: Ives

Re: Improvised Weapons - 01/09/06 05:29 AM

Quote:

...He is also responsible for starting something called Viking Combat, a system using shields and sticks. The idea came to him after having to use a dustbin lid and a lump of wood in a defence situation.

Now that I would use like a tinbe and rochin.
I see some interesting applications of the most diverse objects.
I guess kobudo skills do come in handy.

Even the computer's mouse as a nunchaku or surujin was mentioned.
(Damn, I have an cordless/optical mouse...)

I once threatened someone with my clog. (Wonder why nobody has already mentioned this. )
First he was surprised even to see such shoes nowadays in the Netherlands.
Posted by: Dangun

Re: Improvised Weapons - 01/09/06 06:31 AM

Hi all, just thought wen walking down the street and cornered the only thigs to hand may will be on your person keys are the obvious one, but i would definately recommend a belt ......
can b used as a flail, wrapped round fist and choke holds and from a legal standpoint it would not b unusual to have one on you,

p.s i have a hamster ,wonder if would do as much damage as a goat.
Posted by: SpeedyGonzales

Re: Improvised Weapons - 01/09/06 05:30 PM

A thick sweater wrapped around the front hand/forearm can be used as a shield to block knife swings/stabs, as can shoes on the hand

Nunchucks are deadly and fast, but if you grabs a trash can, hold it horizontally a hand on both ends, you can use that as a simultaneous shield and battter-style weapon
It's "sloppy" but it works, nunchucks weren't designed to handle that.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 01/10/06 04:56 PM

have you seen who am i? the jackie chan film? you'll probably like the clog use in it
Posted by: littlemikey26

Re: Improvised Weapons - 03/16/06 11:46 AM

hey there! im new here but i cant resist replying about the "improvised weapons category, but i sed to be a bouncer here in detroit, and i once saw a guy get knocked out with an empty two-liter of mountain dew! also candles, and pocket change make good weapons, at the very least they will make a guy duck so you can rush em!
Posted by: littlemikey26

Re: Improvised Weapons - 03/16/06 11:53 AM

wooden baby gate, dog headed glass bottles, candles (again) also the pewter is in the kitchen so there are plenty of knives and forks, a small rug, and a mug full of incense!
Posted by: musicalmike235

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/17/07 04:50 PM

A belt with a nice big metal belt buckle makes a great improvised weapon. Thats why I always wear one when I go places with a lot of people that I don't know.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/26/07 03:04 PM

Hey, BuDoc! Now that it's been a couple years, tell us how the GoatJu Ryu is coming.

Re: Improvised Weapons - 06/29/07 02:12 AM

I recently read an account by a 19th Century clown who got hit in the face with a dummy baby during a show. It broke his jaw and laid him up for several days. Mind you, it was filled with sawdust and weighed around 2 stone.

Also read of a guy who, as a down and out, was attacked by a couple of thugs. He had stomach problems and emptied his bowels... they ran like hell.
Posted by: badeofblade

Re: Improvised Weapons - 07/14/07 11:24 AM

Hmm, first post time =D

Here is a list of weapons that catch my fancy:

Keys
Closed can of pop for bludgeoning
Empty can of pop (twisted apart to make a blade... or two blades if twisted apart right)
Garbage can lid for use as a buckler
Small stick (as a yawara or just for thrusting in to someone's face/neck)
Sturdy stick/improvised Jo or Bo
Quarters held between the fingers to weight punches
Belt
Table (flip it on to someone's foot, or throw it into their shins)
Ceiling Fan if reachable BE CREATIVE
The stem of a martini glass
Car door - swing and boom.
Stick gum on someone's face as a distraction
Break a cd and use for slashing
A banana. They are heavy enough to do damage, very distracting, and make a good story.
An umbrella.
A cane.
Your assailant's own shoe.
Smash someone face first into a window

Now, here is what I personally have done-

I carry two knives (openly and legally, of course), which I would never use in a combat situation unless also threatened with a knife, or with a gun. I can use, however, a closed knife in my fist to weight a punch and stop my hand from breaking if I punch hard enough. In grappling, I can push on the top of the close knife with my thumb to push it down out of the bottom of my fist a bit, which gives me either a bludgeon or yawara, depending on me mood. This same concept works (as I have done more often) with a lighter.
The quarters thing also works, trust me.

Now, about the cats- my brother threw a cat at me when I was younger. Smokey the Cat held on to my face for dear life, and to this day I've a rather cool scar because of it.
Posted by: shinkengata

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/08/07 09:59 PM

lmao @ cats/ goats good ideas!!

i like pens or pencils cause they are redily available, havent used used them, but to use it defenceivly as they punch and you stab their arm would be a good way (also keeps you out of trouble if the law comes back at you lol. i used to go to a real rough school in the getto, i hung out with and was(am) one of the punk rock kids and hard leather bracelets with studs / spikes have gotten me out of a coupple fights put the spikes on my knuckles and its almos like brass knuckles studs for blocking.

one time 3 red necks were messing with me and my girl i showed them the spikes on my knuckels and they just backed off. which of course is the best way of winning a fight

a jacket is good too, a choke, cover an attackers face while you punch them ect.
pocket change
wallet chains ^_^
the belt (stud belts are awesome)
tire iron
3/8s in ratcht drive
the whole damn tool box lmao
detachable steering wheel
deck of cards to fluster opponent while you punch in face/throat (good with MagicTG cards too for you nerds lmao)
hydrolic jack bar.
a sturdy drink straw for a throat shot
tooth pick: throat eyes tendons

Re: Improvised Weapons - 09/10/07 04:24 PM

Forgot about this thread...

Since my Sayoc Kali seminar a few weeks ago, I'm thinking more about "vital templates" (& thanks to my background in anatomy/physiology) if I happened to need to use my pen as a thrusting weapon.

In the old days, I used to carry "nylon" weapons on my travels but since "9-11", I always carry a strong pen. I think I'll be adding Habanero sauce to my carry-on as well.