fighting fan

Posted by: kerry

fighting fan - 05/17/05 09:51 PM

does anyone have information about this...i have been interested in learning but my instructors don't teach it. i have been looking for books or videos but have had no luck
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: fighting fan - 05/18/05 07:59 AM

I don't know about any books or videos, but it might help you in your research to know that the Japanese combat fan is called "tessen" and the Chinese one "shan" (or "san"). Also keep in mind that any instruction you can get from a book or video, no matter how good, will be nowhere near as good as what you would get from a proper instructor - and is a great way to develop wrong habits.

I hope it helps!
Posted by: Strider_Hanzo

Re: fighting fan - 05/18/05 01:37 PM

http://www.gojushorei.com/Defaultgssystem.htm
The site there has some dude who claims to teach fan, knife, and cane techniques along with their martial arts... i don't know how legitimate they are at least it's a good start right? good luck finding a school!
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: fighting fan - 05/18/05 02:29 PM

Fan instruction is rather rare.

From the Japanese fan it might be a subsidiary instruction within some kendo styles.

From the Chinese my friend, Ernest Rothrock, in Pittsburgh does teach fan.I know he does several Chinese fan forms. The are extremely comples, including fan flips, snapping and closing movements as well as thrusts, parries, etc.

His fan techniques demand you're quite advanced in his Chinese traditions before you're capable of learning the movements. You need the other traditions to build upon.
Posted by: kerry

Re: fighting fan - 05/18/05 02:33 PM

thank you for all your help...i will keep trying to find someone in my area who might teach this