if you can).
*THANK YOU VERY MUCH*
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 03:42 AM

GOT RICE?

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 03:47 AM

Do you realize what you are asking?
To make a BO from scratch you need a good straight piece of hardwood and an industrial size lathe. Not impossible by far but you need to know what you're doing.
You can buy bo's for various uses relatively cheap.

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 03:54 AM

kill a cow and ripp out a (sena) *like I know the word in english* as a string...

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 04:27 AM

It's really simple. Find yourself a nice long, straight branch of either Willow, or Ash. Why? The idea is not a wood that is bendable, but springy. It needs to NOT conform to the bow shape, it has to want to spring back into a straight branch. Birch and oak aren't good bets for this ...Ash, and Willow are probably what you'd find layin'around. The branch should probably be no wider then 2 inches in diameter. I think ..don't quote me on that ..it's been a while.

When you pick this branch, find the one with the least amount of knots in the wood. Knots weaken it, and chances are it will break during shaping. if there are a couple knots, it's ok.

Skin the branch, and cut two notches on both ends for wire.

:Note: If the wood is to young, and it's moist when you skin it, try setting it outside for a week or two and see if it hardens a bit ...not too much! You want it taut, not brittle.

Alright, so now you should have a skinned branch with two knots on each end, and no more then 2 inches in diameter (again, don't quote me on the 2 inches, use your best judgement. If it's too thin, it won't spring enough ...if it's too thick, it'll snap.)

For now just use a piece of string, or if you want to, go ahead a buy some strong twine (Do not use a rubber band, or anything of the like!), and knot the ends around you notches, secure ...I don't remember the recommended knot, but just type in "Bow knots" or something in google and i'm sure you'll find it.

Heres the tricky part, and the long part ...I don't have a picture so I'll try to explain the best I can.

Grab a small bit of 2X4, and starting from one end of it, drive a screw in for every inch down the length of the middle of the 2X4. Next ...use something that will clamp the shaft of the bow in place.

The object of this is to work your bow into a slight bend, by clamping the bow in place, and pulling the twine over each screw on the 2X4 one at a time.

Start with the closest screw on the 2X4 ....then let it sit for a couple days. Go back, and pull the twine to the next screw ...let it sit ..and repeat. When you're finally as far as you want to go, you will probably have to re-tie your twine to keep it taut.

Repeat until it begings to look like a bow, basically. If you picked a good branch, this'll work. It's all in the quality of the wood.

A couple things to watch out for ...If you hear you branch crack, even barely, it's useless. Start over. And the lenght of the bow will determine how far it shoots.

Arrows are easy ...thin sticks, skin them and shape'em as straight as you can. Carve a tip on the end, and cut 4 notches on the opposite end for 'feathers', or whathaveyou, for stability.

Note: Your first few times, it'll **** . This is how you'd make on without the proper tools and training ...so don't expect a masterful creation here. I've explained it the best I could via internet.

Thats pretty much it ...good luck! It takes a lot of patience!

Oh ya ...Fightingarts ...Don't ask me how I know this *grin*

-Ket

[This message has been edited by Ket (edited 04-20-2005).]
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 05:37 AM

Take a piece of ribbon, do a cross put through, loop one end, loop the other end around it, push a loop underneath and then pull tight.
Posted by: Khayman

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 06:31 AM

Ask a ship builder!
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 06:43 AM

When I was little I just used an old broom handle as a "bo". [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]

I'm sure you can find detailed information on making a "bow" somewhere on the web, if your question isn't answered here in this thread.

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 09:14 AM

Do you wish to make a "BO" or a Bow (as in bow and arrows)?

A broomstick or wooden closet rod will make an inexpensive "BO" They are almost cheaper to buy than make, unless you are looling for something unique.

It took me years to learn the art of making a "Bow". There is no "Idiots guide to Bow Making" at Barns and Knoble (however a dictionary from there would help ME a lot). Bow making is an artform.

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 09:20 AM

1-Stand up straight, feet together, hands at your side

2-Bend slowly at the waist

3-Return to position 1

You're welcome.

Joel

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 10:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JoelM:
1-Stand up straight, feet together, hands at your side

2-Bend slowly at the waist

3-Return to position 1

You're welcome.

Joel
[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Now that was outstanding!
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 01:35 PM

One of the mods - either transfer this post to the weapons section or delete it. I can't summon the energy.....this post drained it from me.

Regds
Mr V

Re: Making a Bow - 04/20/05 02:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by deiddiy:
How do you make a bow?
Please write what you would need too.
Plus detailed inctroctions (with pictures
if you can).
*THANK YOU VERY MUCH*
[/QUOTE]

I know how to construct D-Segment Long Bows if that is what you are referring to. But you won't like what I am going to tell you.

1: Find a White Ash or Yew tree with a trunk diameter of at least 2 feet. Cut it down.

DO NOT USE BRANCHES, YOU MUST USE THE TRUNK FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF A FUNCTIONAL LONGBOW.

2: make a cut into the core of the log, make a second cut allowing you to remove an angular core sample.

3: Asess your core sample for knots. If there are no knots within the interior 6 inches of the sample it will be suitable.

4: Plane the core sample to a 2*2 from as close to the interior of the log as possible.

5: Trim the board until it is approximately as long as you are tall.

6: Using a spoke shave trim the board until it fits a D-Segment pattern. It should taper towards the ends. It is of PARAMOUNT importence that both ends of the bow have the same taper, that the taper is even and consistent and that the narrowest points of the taper are at the tips.
The center of the bow should be the widest point. You must at this point mark which side is "up" it will be important when you construct the handle of the bow. Remember that the thicker the bow is both at the center and at the tips the harder it will be to draw it.

7: Use a circular wood rasp to file the notches for the bowstring. The notches should angle inward so that the string can rest properly in it's traces when drawn. If the notches angle outward the string will snap.

8: Allow the bow to dry for three months or more.

9: Construct a handle which is ergonomically suitable, attach it to the outside of the bow at the center point. It should be constructed in such a manner as to not interfere with the flight of the arrow.

10: Glue the handle to the bow using a strong wood glue. Wrapping it in leather may increase comfort somewhat.

11: Based on the draw of the bow determine the necessary length of the bowstring. Nail two nails into a plank at a length equal to the length you want the bowstring to be.

12: Wind a fine-grade twine around the nails (I think it was three times, it's been a while). Twist the string while waxing it with bees or parafin wax. This should produce a tightly bound, wound string with two loops suitable for stringing the bow at each end.

13: String the bow only when using.

This will produce a passable D-Segment Longbow. To make a really good one there is a few intermediary steps related to accustomizing the bow to it's usual level of draw with suspended weights but I can't remember exactly how to do this.

You would be better off going out and buying a fibreglass bow. It would cost less and would be a hell of a lot less work.

I don't know if it's possible to attach files so I am afraid I can't provide any pictures.

[This message has been edited by SimonM (edited 04-20-2005).]

[This message has been edited by SimonM (edited 04-20-2005).]

Re: Making a Bow - 04/22/05 04:10 PM

Does that help you deiddiy?

Re: Making a Bow - 04/25/05 08:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SimonM:
Does that help you deiddiy?[/QUOTE]

Yes thank you very much SimonM.