History of the Kubotan

Posted by: Anonymous

History of the Kubotan - 04/19/05 03:30 PM

I'm presently studying for my next promotion and I have to give a presentation on my personal weapon (we are given instruction on a variety of weapons but when we reach a certain level we have to choose a personal weapon to "specialize" in.)

I have chosen the kubotan (since I have one on my keychain all the time). Anyway, I have to independently research the history of the weapon, learn and demonstrate the basic techniques of using the weapon, and learn and demonstrate a kata for the weapon. On another forum page someone had sent me a link to some katas - which turned out to be exceptionally helpful.

I know that Takayuki Kubota invented the Kubotan but that's about where my research has led me. I have a DVD and a book but they mostly deal with the uses...not the history.

Is there anyone out there who knows anything about the history of the kubotan or where I might turn to find out? My test is in approximately 8 weeks.

Thanks!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: History of the Kubotan - 04/20/05 08:47 PM

You could have a look at www.yawara.com

The idea of a short stick, or hand load is common in many martial arts. Many classical jujutsu ryu have a similar weapon. Don Cunningham wrote a book called "Secret weapons of jujutsu" (published by Tuttle) that has a lot of stuff in it.

There is also an okinawan weapon called a techu which is similar, and there are similar filipino weapons (olisi palad, dulo-dulo, badjak). I seem to remember something about a small stick used to break bones in Hatsumi's book on stick fighting, so that's the ninjutsu/bujinkan view on it. No doubt there are chinese analogs as well.

There's plenty of history there, just have a look.

As for kata, I doubt there are too many formal ones based on that weapon (although I have seen one with 2 techu), but most empty-hand forms could be modified to incorporate it.