Need Some Fillipino MA advice...

Posted by: Anonymous

Need Some Fillipino MA advice... - 03/17/05 04:03 PM

Hey all, I've recently begun training in the Filipino Martial Arts of Arnis, Escrima, and Kali. I am looking to buy a Kali stick, but I don't know what to look for or what kind. I asked my trainer, so I have an idea...but he's always been a man of few words, so I would like to hear some more opinions before I begin the purchasing process...If anyone has any type of advice such as: Where to buy from, what to look for, what price is too much, what price is just about right, how many rings, what color, what kind (American made, Filipino made, burned or unburned), and so on...that would help a lot.

Thanks a lot-
-Kage
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Need Some Fillipino MA advice... - 03/17/05 04:50 PM

For a beginner I'd just stick to your plain common or garden variety of rattan arnis sticks. They'll suit whatever you are doing just fine.

Decoration, colour, burnt or unburnt is really a matter of personal preference and how much you want to pay. My local MA shop sells std rattan sticks with a burn pattern for around $NZ18 each.

I wouldn't go out and spend $$$ on kamagong sticks at this stage! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] unless of course your instructor has told you that this is what he wants you to buy!

Re: Need Some Fillipino MA advice... - 03/18/05 10:40 PM

a cheap alternative i found was going to a cane furniture store and getting a rattan pole cut into 26 inch lengths - its been a while since i did that but i think 6 sticks (they didnt charge for cutting, just the cost of the pole) was under $20 aus

dont worry about american made, filipino made - you'll find there are good weapons from both and bad from both - the country will mean nothing

btw - im just trying to figure out how you and your instructor are able to communicate at all to train if he isnt able to tell you how to get a stick - which is the bare minimum for practising arnis?

Re: Need Some Fillipino MA advice... - 03/19/05 04:55 AM

Choice of stick really depend on your training. If it's stick-on-stick (or body) training, rattan is your best bet. It hurts, but won't kill ya. Avoid hardwoods as a beginner (for contact training, at least), and stay the hell away from kamagong, cause whatver it hits, it tends to shatter.

In a contact situation, rattan is safer because when it is destroyed, it gets soft, and degrades in a predictable fashion. Hardwoods do not neccessarily do this.

Re: Need Some Fillipino MA advice... - 03/22/05 07:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Meanstreak:

btw - im just trying to figure out how you and your instructor are able to communicate at all to train if he isnt able to tell you how to get a stick - which is the bare minimum for practising arnis?
[/QUOTE]

he lets me borrow his, and hes supposed to be buying me some, but he never seems to remember. i finally asked him what i should look for, so that i could buy my own. but i (like i said) wanted to get more than one opinion. and thanks everyone, i seem to have gotten all the info i needed.