Striking with the bo...

Posted by: Anonymous

Striking with the bo... - 03/05/05 12:26 PM

When you strike with the bo, where does the other end go, because I haven't been to a class where I have used one in a while, and I want to stop this bad habit soon.
(does this make any sense?)
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Striking with the bo... - 03/05/05 08:33 PM

Depends on the strike... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Striking with the bo... - 03/11/05 03:36 PM

The "other" end of the bo is the key. As Reiki says, it depends on the strike. In the 4 bo katas I know the rear hand, which does the real work*, almost always winds up:

1) on the hip of the same side
2) under the opposite armpit
3) in front on my sternum, with the palm out

* the best bo kata I know is Urichi ("Back of the") Bo.

Re: Striking with the bo... - 03/12/05 12:05 AM

Matayoshi Kobudo usually has the back end against the back arm, not on the hip or under the armpit. This way you do not hit on your own ribs, just on your arm. After a while you can control it enough not to hurt yourself anymore.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Striking with the bo... - 03/13/05 04:59 PM

we have some strikes that end up along the forearm when chambered.

And things like the kayak strike where the bo is rotated like paddling a kayak

Re: Striking with the bo... - 03/22/05 08:36 AM

Yes matayoshi Kobudo chambers the bo on the outside of the forarm.
Ryukyu Kobudo tends to chamber the bo under the armpit.
I feel the Matayoshi method is better simply because with the bo on the outside of the arm , the bo is protecting my arm, whereas with under the arm , my arm is protecting the bo. This makes no sense. The weapon is supposed to protect me. And after striking the inside of my armpit for a few hours, it tends to get a bit sore.

Re: Striking with the bo... - 04/19/05 11:43 PM

When you strike with a staff the other end should be preparing to strike next. One of the best things about the staff (and related weapons) is the circular attack motions you can attain. In kata there are of course exact specifications on where to position it but when you're practicing alone it's best to make each motion into one long combination of strikes and blocks. The wood element is known for logic and to fight with a staff it's only sensible to be ever moving, ever striking and ever blocking, you know?

Re: Striking with the bo... - 04/25/05 01:35 PM

I learned & prefer 'along the forearm' over 'in the armpit' for mainly this reason:

Assume that you've completed an over-head strike w/ your R-side (L-side is along your forearm). You can easily attack w/ your L-side on a horzontal plane (clock-wise).

Keeping your bo's L-side in your armpit prevents an immediate horizantal strike as described. You need to lift your elbow & make a circular motion w/ your L-arm as opposed to a strait punching-type motion.