the sai & how you use it!!

Posted by: Anonymous

the sai & how you use it!! - 02/16/05 12:34 PM

hi all!! i have been useing the sai for just a couple of days, i think that they are amazing weapons and i would like to no if any one nows any online sai videos that i could watch and learn from!! thatnks alot>

craig!!

Re: the sai & how you use it!! - 02/18/05 12:30 AM

hi guys and girls, i have also just come into ownership of a pair of sai and would like to know of any online website or downloadable video that can teach basic technique in defense and attack.. it seemes hard to come across and any help would be very favoured,
thank you again.
BOCK
vegas_albo@hotmail.com

Re: the sai & how you use it!! - 02/20/05 10:46 PM

webby and bock,

both of you should read the previous posts through the forum, the swords forum has numerous threads against just learning from books or online. topics like "teaching myself" "self taught" - etc

i know you want something accessible, cheap and easy, but if you actually want to learn how to use a weapon you'll actually need to attend martial arts classes, though many arts/teachers wont do weapons training untill you reach an advanced level (some may teach you straight away)

if the sai is just going to be something for you to play with for a while untill the hype of the elektra movie dies down - then just play about - try to be safe when you use them.

however if you want to learn how to use them properly - then start calling the local martial arts clubs in your area and find if they use the sai.

Re: the sai & how you use it!! - 02/26/05 08:36 PM

i don't know any videos but as a martial artist i like to spread my knowledge of weapons and the sais where thesecond weapons i picked up after the katana.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: the sai & how you use it!! - 02/27/05 02:15 PM

Thankyou Meanstreak. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Nothing can replace having training by a proper instructor, especially with weapons techniques.

I know Webby & Bock that you are probably very keen to get started with using your sai but I think you should seek a proper dojo and learn correct technique first.

It is very difficult to unlearn bad habits and poor techniques that have evolved from having no proper training, and not having the watchful eye of an instructor to correct and help you. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: the sai & how you use it!! - 02/27/05 04:10 PM

Do you know of any websites that have a listing of Dojos in specific areas that train in weapons?

Re: the sai & how you use it!! - 02/27/05 09:28 PM

Merloyn,

your best bet here is to use your local telephone directory, depending upon the listings your directory uses look under "martial arts" or "self defence" or similar. after you have a list of groups to check out, call the instructor - and ask about what he/she teaches.

also look at local notice boards and advertisments in your area

Re: the sai & how you use it!! - 02/27/05 11:21 PM

Sai are actually unweildly, difficult to use practically and fast enough to disarm others or restrain the unarmed....but the blunt trauma would be devestating. I have become proficient with them, but they are limited in technique for actual confrontation...as well as being very impractical. Still fun though.

I'd still prefer my Jo, Gim or borrow a katana.

I am going to leanr the jutte....seems better to me.