How much do you like weapons?

Posted by: Anonymous

How much do you like weapons? - 02/05/05 11:11 PM

Thanks for those who posted on my thread in the other forum. I'm gonna start checking this forum from now on. But let's try this again:

So, how much do you guys like working with weapons? For the longest time I've been waiting and waiting until I could start training with weapons. Now I've been through a broadsword form, a staff form, and I'm halfway through a spear form.

I had fair amount of fun learning the sword, although it didn't turn out to be as great as I thought. Staff was tons of fun. Spear on the other hand... eh, not too great so far?

I wonder if it's because of the nature of the weapons that makes me like and dislike them.. or my lack of skill in it?
What do you guys think?

Re: How much do you like weapons? - 02/06/05 10:54 AM

I have been studying Iaito with a live blade for about a year now, Have done some 'chuck training and a v.little Jo work.
At first i found the sword work frustrating, little things that my brain said should be easy werent, like re-sheathing without looking at the saya. It looks easy on film or when your instructor does it, bit different when you come to do it yourself [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
With unarmed techniques your using a familiar tool- your body, so it doesnt feel as alien.
Patience is the key to most things. Dislike of something often comes from frustration. Keep going with a chosen weapon till you are less concious of actually wielding it. If you start to get 'in tune' with it and still get no satisfaction from it then its just not your thing. I for one now love Iaito. It is my nightly de-stress tool. Life seems so much better in the mirror of a blade [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Cord (edited 02-06-2005).]
Posted by: Reiki

Re: How much do you like weapons? - 02/06/05 02:11 PM

I think its all about working with it until you feel like it is part of you.

I love working with some and are getting fonder of others as I work with them more.

Just DO it! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: How much do you like weapons? - 02/06/05 02:46 PM

Yes, I was very excited when first learning weapons. Does anyone here know any sites where I can find weapon forms on the long Bo, tonfas, and Tai Chi sword. I'm training with my bokken right now but I think my instructor will teach us the pattern for that. Links to sites where I can print off patterns would be nice thanks.

Re: How much do you like weapons? - 02/06/05 07:52 PM

It does have a fair amount to do with your nature. Some weapons may not fit the way you like to fight. My guess would be that you enjoy fighting closer to your enemy, and as a result, may have some kind of aversion to the spear.

Or maybe you like to maintain fine control of your weapons, which is more difficult with a spear.

Personally, I like the nunchucks because of the constant motion and direction changes, while I don't enjoy using the sais as much because they are generally defensive. I'm not much of a sit-around-and-wait kind of guy.

Re: How much do you like weapons? - 02/06/05 10:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Xaith:
It does have a fair amount to do with your nature. Some weapons may not fit the way you like to fight. My guess would be that you enjoy fighting closer to your enemy, and as a result, may have some kind of aversion to the spear.

Or maybe you like to maintain fine control of your weapons, which is more difficult with a spear.

Personally, I like the nunchucks because of the constant motion and direction changes, while I don't enjoy using the sais as much because they are generally defensive. I'm not much of a sit-around-and-wait kind of guy.
[/QUOTE]

that actually made a lot of sense! i first started MA's with Wing Chun... which is a lot on close range fighting. Control seems to be another issue to, as I could control the sword fairly well. Movements in my staff form as also quite precise, while the spear required a little more shifting around, which I'm still not too comfortable with. Also, applications of the spear, which include using the middle of it to block, etc.... I get kinda scared of getting my fingers hit.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: How much do you like weapons? - 02/07/05 10:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 18lohans:

Movements in my staff form as also quite precise, while the spear required a little more shifting around, which I'm still not too comfortable with. Also, applications of the spear, which include using the middle of it to block, etc.... I get kinda scared of getting my fingers hit.
[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] yes it does hurt when your fingers get hit by sticks and bo.... been there, done that, got the T-shirt as they say! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

I think the more you use the weapon and get familiar with it, the better you will find it to use and then you will feel just like it is an extension of your body.

I'm like this with sticks, whips, bo and bokken and to some degree the nunchaku because I do everything by feel and don't actually look at the weapon while I'm working with it, the moves have become 2nd nature.

Just keep working with it and after a few years you'll see what I mean.